Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How does the scouting and evaluation mechanism work?

I have this player. I consider him as my best prospect, but my scouts have another opinion about it. They evaluate him as a 0.5 star player!! It's simply not possible. Even if it is, it is really strange they think his potential is also 0.5. I do realize that there is a random element of scouting mistake but it can not be that huge.
I'm uploading a screen of his attributes in commissioner mode so you can see that his hidden skills like sportsmanship and coachability are decent.
I picked my scouting and assistants personnel rigorously. They are very skillful and i simply do not understand why they evaluate him this way.
Who exactly does the evaluation? Assistant(s)? Scout(s)? I have fired all my assistants and then scouts to see if the evaluation gets changed. It doesn't. So, what factor does it depend on?
How does the mechanism of player development work? Is it possible that the player become a star in spite of 0.5 status? What is the crucial point? Why is this kind of situation possible? Should i count on this player?
Thank you in advance
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by MarkLeo; 03-13-2017 at 01:54 PM.
MarkLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

What does the Scouting report actually say on him? I'm curious on that.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Scouting report
Attached Images
Old 03-14-2017, 12:41 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Could you upload that save? There shouldn't be that much of a difference between the consensus (and actual potential) and your scouts' evaluation, something must be going wrong there.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have uploaded. It's the very same "Try1" save I reported before in technical support thread
Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
redtiger7
All Star Starter

I'm trying to figure out how the scouting works too. I had 2 scouts with high eval ratings checking out the (fictional) jr league all year, threw my entire scouting staff to watch the draft class 10 weeks before draft day, and I still had top 10 prospects with C's and E's grade evaluations.
Then during free agency I signed free agents with A and B evaluation grades, and after I signed them, their stats weren't what was reported, often lossing a whoile star.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how the scouting works too. I had 2 scouts with high eval ratings checking out the (fictional) jr league all year, threw my entire scouting staff to watch the draft class 10 weeks before draft day, and I still had top 10 prospects with C's and E's grade evaluations.
Then during free agency I signed free agents with A and B evaluation grades, and after I signed them, their stats weren't what was reported, often lossing a whoile star.
In their assignments, did you have the scouts set to quantity or quality? Quality should ensure that the top guys get looked at thoroughly and their scouting level maxed out before moving on to lower-caliber guys.

The second part is intended - your scouts' assessment, even when it's at the highest possible level, is never a sure thing. Once they're on your team and your coaches have a thorough look at them, you get the real information, and you find out how far off the scouts were.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #8
Woody19
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is there a way of scouting your own prospect pool? Apart from putting them on the shortlist ... or is there a way to create multiple shortlists (as in EHM), e.g. one for the draft, one for own prospects, etc.?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I

The second part is intended - your scouts' assessment, even when it's at the highest possible level, is never a sure thing. Once they're on your team and your coaches have a thorough look at them, you get the real information, and you find out how far off the scouts were.
The frustrating part is no matter how good the scouts ratings are, they're always off.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Any news about my save?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 AM   #11
JeffR
FHM Producer

I worked his potential out by hand, and the 4.0 is close to accurate. Not sure at this point why it's only showing up as 0.5 in other places, going to have to investigate some more. It appears to be only an issue with the displayed number, though - he should develop like a regular 4-star potential player.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:06 AM   #12
Woody19
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody19 View Post
Is there a way of scouting your own prospect pool? Apart from putting them on the shortlist ... or is there a way to create multiple shortlists (as in EHM), e.g. one for the draft, one for own prospects, etc.?
@Jeff: any input on this, too?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:19 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody19 View Post
@Jeff: any input on this, too?
Sorry Alex, meant to answer this last night and forgot to. No way of doing either right now, but both make sense. The custom shortlists in particular shouldn't be hard to do, since OOTP does it. I'll see if we can get the code.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Sorry Alex, meant to answer this last night and forgot to. No way of doing either right now, but both make sense. The custom shortlists in particular shouldn't be hard to do, since OOTP does it. I'll see if we can get the code.
Is there a possibility of adding a way to create more than 1 shortlist in FHM4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 AM   #15
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I worked his potential out by hand, and the 4.0 is close to accurate. Not sure at this point why it's only showing up as 0.5 in other places, going to have to investigate some more. It appears to be only an issue with the displayed number, though - he should develop like a regular 4-star potential player.
Thank you Jeff, but I have to blame you: you made an awesome game and my fingers itch to play it Do you think there is a chance you could fix my save or do I better start a new one?
Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 AM   #16
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

One more remark. I have noticed that if during the NHL Entry Draft you are crazy enough (I am) to go through personal information of all eligible players in commissioner mode you can find out a lot of 0.5 star players that have actual potential rating very close to the best ranked players and sometimes even higher. Yet, your scouts consider them (even if it's A Level) as 0.5 potential prospects. Initially I found it very good and realistic, considered that situation as Pavel Datsyuk or Brett Hull factor, speaking figuratively. And, actually that's what happened to the player whose screenshot I posted here. I picked him in 6th round to see how it goes.
Does it make any sense? Does this information change anything? Is this kind of players good choice? Are they supposed to develop? I am not going to keep searching my draft picks this way - it's only a matter of curiosity. As I said, mechanism. I would be appreciate if you clarify it a bit more. Thank you again
Old 03-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #17
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLeo View Post
Thank you Jeff, but I have to blame you: you made an awesome game and my fingers itch to play it Do you think there is a chance you could fix my save or do I better start a new one?
Actually, if you continue with it I suspect the potential will revert to the proper level the first time the ability rating gets increased - still investigating the causes, though.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #18
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLeo View Post
One more remark. I have noticed that if during the NHL Entry Draft you are crazy enough (I am) to go through personal information of all eligible players in commissioner mode you can find out a lot of 0.5 star players that have actual potential rating very close to the best ranked players and sometimes even higher. Yet, your scouts consider them (even if it's A Level) as 0.5 potential prospects. Initially I found it very good and realistic, considered that situation as Pavel Datsyuk or Brett Hull factor, speaking figuratively. And, actually that's what happened to the player whose screenshot I posted here. I picked him in 6th round to see how it goes.
Does it make any sense? Does this information change anything? Is this kind of players good choice? Are they supposed to develop? I am not going to keep searching my draft picks this way - it's only a matter of curiosity. As I said, mechanism. I would be appreciate if you clarify it a bit more. Thank you again
Can you give me a few names so I can check them, or are these players who've been generated since the start of the game?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #19
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Can you give me a few names so I can check them, or are these players who've been generated since the start of the game?
They have been generated. But I think you could still see them in my save game. I believe it was June 2029 when I was uploading my save. You can open the 2029 Draft list and check out these names:
Maxime Raymond
Pier-Luc Lebel
Jake Fairall
Antoine Leduc
there are actually more
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
MarkLeo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Jeff, I'm sorry for being annoying but the questions i raised are still preying on my mind. Did you check those players? Could you clarify this question about the logic of development of this sort of players?