Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Talk of Burrows not being sold on Bengals

Sounds like Burrows would prefer to stay and play in New Orleans at QB ... maybe one year behind Brees ....... or to the Cowboys where he may start year one with Dak moving on.

Sounds touchy and picky -- but has been done by John Elway and Eli Manning . ...
It would likely take all of the Saints picks this year (5 picks ) and there first round pick next year. Saints first pick this year is 24th ??? that may need to be improved..

Cowboys have the 17th pick in round one 19th pick in round 2 ...and number 18 in round 3 so they would likely have to sweeten the pot a like to get Burrow.

Saints have a history of trading the entire draft for one player (Ricky Williams)..

ideas??

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I don't know how much leverage Burrows would have other than sitting out. If the rumours you stated are true, maybe some team that wants to jump up & get him are in his ear. This, thinking they can force Cincy's hand and deal with them. I thought Burrows wouldn't mind Cincy since he is from Ohio. But since he has seen Cincy growing up, that could also backfire.

I also wouldn't understand why he would prefer Dallas over Cincy if it is questions about the organization. Has Dallas really been shown to be less dysfunctional than the Bengals?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I don't know how much leverage Burrows would have other than sitting out. If the rumours you stated are true, maybe some team that wants to jump up & get him are in his ear. This, thinking they can force Cincy's hand and deal with them. I thought Burrows wouldn't mind Cincy since he is from Ohio. But since he has seen Cincy growing up, that could also backfire.

I also wouldn't understand why he would prefer Dallas over Cincy if it is questions about the organization. Has Dallas really been shown to be less dysfunctional than the Bengals?
While no big fan of Dallas, Cincinnati is the only team that I can remember having two stars who would rather retire than continue playing, unless they could get traded. (Dalton and Munoz) From what I have heard, listening to a fair amount of Cincinnati radio over the years, the Bengals are not just tight-fisted as far as salaries, but also with facilities and road accommodations.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The Saints have the 24th pick...he can prefer whatever he wants but doesn't just get to decide to go there lol. Their entire draft this year and next year isn't worth the #1 pick

Last edited by dkgo; 02-19-2020 at 12:24 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:

Short memory! Eli Manning forced the Chargers to trade him to the Giants for Philip Rivers and some picks.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

It's Burrow by the way

Just thought I'd save a few of you potential embarrassment when doing some real life draft talk
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

I just don't see Burrow acting on that. He's from Ohio and his high school is already re-naming its football field after him. If anything this might be attempting to get leverage to avoid offset language in his contract since the Bengals are notoriously tight-fisted and may push for it.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #8
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWar View Post
Sounds like Burrows would prefer to stay and play in New Orleans at QB ... maybe one year behind Brees ....... or to the Cowboys where he may start year one with Dak moving on.

Sounds touchy and picky -- but has been done by John Elway and Eli Manning . ...
It would likely take all of the Saints picks this year (5 picks ) and there first round pick next year. Saints first pick this year is 24th ??? that may need to be improved..

Cowboys have the 17th pick in round one 19th pick in round 2 ...and number 18 in round 3 so they would likely have to sweeten the pot a like to get Burrow.

Saints have a history of trading the entire draft for one player (Ricky Williams)..

ideas??
I'm a huge Cowboys fan since forever and would love nothing more than for this to happen. I don't hate Prescott but I don't like him enough for the cap hit he's asking for. I'd rather let him walk and draft Jordan Love or Jacob Eason. So yeah, Burrow?

The problem is neither the Saints or Cowboys have the draft capital to get Burrow. Even if they gave up the entire draft. If you're the Bengals owner sitting at pick #1 with the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck, would you talk to the Cowboys? If I'm the owner of the Bengals, I don't take anything the Cowboys offer me.

Again, If I'm the Bengals owner and if I care about winning I only talk to the Redskins, Lions, Dolphins, or Chargers. This way I could still pick up a decent QB. The Cowboys could give up the next two drafts and I would deny them. What am I really getting?

Last edited by Ragnar; 02-22-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Both Manning and Elway did it. I'm not playing for you if you draft me. Real simple and easy. I'm old enough to know why Elway did it. But to this day I don't know why Eli did it.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Both Manning and Elway did it. I'm not playing for you if you draft me. Real simple and easy. I'm old enough to know why Elway did it. But to this day I don't know why Eli did it.
That's just it. There is no leverage here. Elway had leverage because he could play baseball. Eli had none. Just the fear for the franchise of wasting a pick and getting nothing for it. I'm stubborn, so if I was on either side I would either be ready to sit out or watch him lose the whole season.

As a QB, if Burrows has that self confidence in his ability, I wouldn't put up such a fuss about going to Cincy because I could jet once my franchise years are up. If he's truly that good, at least 14 teams will be trying to sign him in 2027. Look at what mediocre Kirk Cousins did.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's just it. There is no leverage here. Elway had leverage because he could play baseball. Eli had none. Just the fear for the franchise of wasting a pick and getting nothing for it. I'm stubborn, so if I was on either side I would either be ready to sit out or watch him lose the whole season.

As a QB, if Burrows has that self confidence in his ability, I wouldn't put up such a fuss about going to Cincy because I could jet once my franchise years are up. If he's truly that good, at least 14 teams will be trying to sign him in 2027. Look at what mediocre Kirk Cousins did.
If you remember the Colts back then I don't blame Elway. Two years prior I think they went 2-14 giving up a record 544 points. They were barely an NFL team. The year prior to the draft they went 0-8-1. Back then teams didn't just turn it around so I can see why Elway had a problem going there.

You're right about Burrow and Cinci for the most part. They suck today and can be in the SB in 2 years. Heck, half of the Super Bowls featured teams that didn't make the playoffs the year before. In today's game it's even easier.

The question is does Cinci ownership value championships over revenue? No matter how good Burrow is, you have to put a team around him. The Cowboys went 1-15 in '89 and how good did Aikman look? Can you truly judge a QB on a team that really sucks?
Old 02-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you truly judge a QB on a team that really sucks?
Sometimes not well. But sometimes you have QB's that can standout despite the talent & coaching around them. Steve McNair, Cam Newton Aaron Rodgers, John Elway are some that come to mind.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #13
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sometimes not well. But sometimes you have QB's that can standout despite the talent & coaching around them. Steve McNair, Cam Newton Aaron Rodgers, John Elway are some that come to mind.
Yeah I guess to some extent. But early on I would think you'd want some help. As far as leverage goes, what leverage does the guy need besides saying he's not playing? No team is going to want to throw away their first overall. Better off getting the picks for the spot than nothing.

I personally think this is just a rumor. I think he's playing for the Bengals. But it will be interesting to see if the Bengals do give up that pick and to who. That will tell us a lot about where that franchise wants to go.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #14
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I guess to some extent. But early on I would think you'd want some help. As far as leverage goes, what leverage does the guy need besides saying he's not playing? No team is going to want to throw away their first overall. Better off getting the picks for the spot than nothing.

I personally think this is just a rumor. I think he's playing for the Bengals. But it will be interesting to see if the Bengals do give up that pick and to who. That will tell us a lot about where that franchise wants to go.
Up to this point, I think it is just a rumor too. And I think most people aren't mule headed like me to go to the mat just to make a point. I just think he isn't the 1st potential draftee who didn't like where he was slotted to go. But just about everyone knew they had no choice. Or else, more would do it. If I'm the Bengals, I'm not letting a talent like Burrows go without getting a king's ransom in return. A 60:6 TD/INT ratio is bananas.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance