Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:17 AM   #61
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

My three teams have had an interesting week, one way or another...

Birmingham Combined Authority (P.420), 74-88

Finishing at .457 & 4th place? In this division, BCA will take it. The Everett Aqua Sox ran away with 132 wins, and the teams in 2nd & 3rd took both of the conference's wildcard spots. We actually finished in the top third of the conference for a bunch of batting stats, which was nice; notable performances include a .303/.359/.426 line from Stan Musial (80) in the leadoff spot, and Babe Ruth (94) bringing in 97 RBI from the cleanup, while 1B John O'Neil (88) managed a 24 game hitting streak mid-season.

Pitching was more of a struggle, perhaps predictably. Cy Young (97) went 16-13 with a 3.99 ERA, but the rest of the rotation struggled. In the pen, Satchel Paige (95) held a 3.32 ERA over 95 IP, and Wilcy Moore (93) helped too, but to little avail. Closer Vean Gregg (90) struggled with a .794 SV% (27/34).

Walsall All-Stars (G.379), 108-54

A chance to flex their muscles awaited Walsall this week, with a rare foray down to Gold level. They didn't disappoint, with their best record in PT '20. Pitching didn't struggle on this team - 4 of the 5 starters carried a sub-4 ERA, they led the league in Quality Starts with 104, and Luis Severino (94) took the Pitching Wins crown with 19 from the 4th spot. Will Harris (81) carried a 31 game Save streak through mid-September, and finished with 41.

The offense for Walsall was symbolised by a remarkable HR/RBI output between the 3rd & 6th spots in the lineup - Gehrig (85) 21/99, Trout (100) 31/110, Heilmann (87) 17/104, & Kaline (84) (15/114). Kaline also hit .323 from the 6th spot, and must be a contender for MVP.

The All-Stars await a Division Series against the winners of the Wildcard, either the Damariscotta Mariners or Omaha Cowpatties. At the very least, they'll be hoping to secure an immediate return to Diamond, though rarely have they been in such a strong position to challenge for the title. Greg Maddux (95) will pitch Game 1 of the DS, coming off his last performance where he.... well, threw a Maddux.

Uecker's New Clothes (D.425), 86-76

It couldn't have been a much odder week for this team - they started the week with a new identity (see here https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=310228) and in a 20 team league. They end with a Wildcard spot that sees them one series away from promotion.

A tight division race all season saw the Ottawa Expos finish 4 games ahead, but it's the individual performances that will be most remembered in Milwaukee. Prince Fielder (95) is the new Home Run Champion of the league, dropping 32, while Jeff Fassero (92) took Most Pitching Wins with an 18-11 record. Christian Yelich (100), long-term hero in these parts, may well be in contention for another MVP award with his .306/.384/.522 line, 29 HR, 115 RBI, and 29 SB for good measure. Ryan Braun (91) hit 26 Homers in a career year from the leadoff spot.

Perhaps the most exciting acquisition of the season was Ben Sheets (97) to the starting rotation. While his 6-12 record and 4.30 ERA were somewhat disappointing by year's end, his electrifying stuff on the mound certainly was not - Ben threw 141 K's to just 22 BB's, a 6.4:1 ratio. Keep that up, and he should be just fine.

The Division Series matchup sees a divisional repeat - the Ottawa Expos. A tight race all year will result in a presumably tight battle to secure promotion to Perfect level. It would be the first appearance there since a 2 year stint in 2051-52 for the club. Of course, quite what Bob Uecker plans to do with this team regardless is yet to be seen....

Last edited by PocketsAintFull; 02-16-2020 at 09:23 AM.
PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #62
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
This week’s theme for my 3 teams, Battle of the Prior Perfect Champions!

P429: Doubledays are in the NC West battling the Fighting Ahabs for the division. Winner is the #3 seed and loser is the top wildcard. Prior Perfect title winners by division are NC: East - Pawtucket Poets -9, Central -Chernobyl Meltdown – 10, West - Doubledays – 6, Fighting Ahabs – 14; AC: East – None, Central - Castlebury Defenders – 1, West – Diamond Street St -1. So the NC has a total of 39 prior Perfect Titles and the AC has 2. Not looking good for the Doubledays. Poets are the favorites to win followed closely by Chernobyl.

P422: The Woodpeckers are contenders are most likely the top NC wildcard. Prior Perfect title winners by division are NC: East – Lake Monroe Doctrine -1, Central –Casterly Rock Lion – 3, Woodpeckers – 1, Memphis Rivermen – 1, West- Chicago Cubbies – 6, Sioux City Bandits – 1; AC: East – Bville baby Sharks - 9, Blythville Blues – 1, Central - NONE, West – NONE. So the NC has a total of 13 prior Perfect Titles and the AC has 10 (with one team with 9). Bville Baby Sharks vs Chicago Cubbies is the expected series.

P419: The Owlz are in the NC East competing against Victoria Vikings that share the same lefty ballpark strategy. Except the Vikings have more power and managed to win 3 Perfect titles to the Owlz Zero. Regardless the Owlz have a 10 ½ game division lead and should win the division barring a complete collapse. Prior Perfect title winners by division are NC: East – Victoria Vikings -3, Central – Buffalo Bulls – 9, Bad Boyz Black Panthers – 5, Virginia Redbirds – 1, AC: East - Rocketchester Rockets – 2, Central – Anaheim Mighty Ducks – 4, West – Mississauga Carnivores – 18. So the NC has a total of 18 prior Perfect Titles and the AC has 24. Though the Owlz are doing well in the regular season, but the competition is too great for that 1st Perfect title.
P429 Doubledays won the final 6 regular season games including a 3 game sweep of the Fighting Ahabs to take 1st place in the division by ONE game. Final game was Maddux vs. Maddux in a 1-0 victory. Doubledays slipped into the #2 seed and will host the tough Meltdown.

P422 Woodpeckers managed the top Wildcard. These one game series are tough.

P419 Owlz finished strong and took the division over a good Viking team. They will host the Redbirds in the Best of 5 series.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #63
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P438: It's Time to Play the Music, It's Time to Light the Lights

Final standings of P438 are below. A few quick thoughts:

- Huntley's Norm Cash won the AC batting and OPS titles; Barry Bonds won the AC RBI crown; and Ozzie Smith said, "Nice job, fellas, but you forgot one thing," and proceeded to flash his leather all over every park en route to a third-place finish in AC WAR (behind Gonzaga's Yelich and Mantle).

- Not to be outdone, Red Raider Curt Schilling topped the AC in pitching wins, while Clemens and Walsh finished second and third in ERA (behind Gonzaga's Rube Waddell's astounding 1.93 ERA!). Huntley's Ed Walsh managed to take the AC pitching WAR title, though.

- Oh, and Huntley's Mariano Rivera did this: 3-0, 38 SV, 0.34 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, 1282 ERA+ (!!), 2.3 WAR. That'll do, Mariano; that'll do.

In a little more than an hour, Gonzaga will take on the 100-62 Burlington Bisons in the Wild Card game. Burlington is a solid team that Huntley has come across before; although the Bisons have yet to capture a Perfect League title, they've been in Perfect since 2024 without being relegated and have made the playoffs 22 times. Plus, they have that sweet, sweet alliteration that PT 2.0 is a known sucker for. In other words, the Coin Flip Game is always, well, a coin flip, but Burlington is a particularly strong upset-special kind of team. Here's hoping the Zag's Rube Waddell can keep his extraordinary season going with one more dominant performance...
Attached Images

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #64
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P438: Oh, It's On

Bring it, Bulldogs!
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #65
Orion
Major Leagues

Fans await much anticipated playoffs

Angel Fire, coming off a record 126 win season, gets (sorry Mr Theme team, it's a nice team though) the easier of the two wild card clubs as it hopes to earn it's second perfect league title in only ten total seasons played. Guardians are the clear favorite but certainly will face some good teams along the way, notably Ann Arbour and its super defensive squad backing Ace Ed Walsh and Co.
Attached Images

Last edited by Orion; 02-16-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #66
Orion
Major Leagues

BTW, Go Flyers Go!

Old 02-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #67
Izz
Hall Of Famer

The 'Glou win their wildcard game against the Cape Coral Swamp Rats (86-76, pythag 90-72) by the score of 6-1.

deGrom threw 8 innings of 1-run ball to set up the victory, though Eckersley came on in the top of the 9th with the bases jammed after Carlos Martinez gave up a hit and 2 walks to face Hank Aaron, whose regular season .330 BA was 2nd-best in our conference. Aaron watched a fastball miss low, then struck a fastball in the zone firmly to right. But the line drive carried and Trout, who'd moved to RF in the 7th, glided in to make the catch and end the game.

Now it's on to the division series to face the Saigon Tritons. My goal: not be swept!

EDIT: Goal accomplished! We win the first game on the road 4-3. Fregosi homers for the 2nd straight game, going 3-4 as we put together a 14-hit night.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 02-16-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #68
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
Bring it, Bulldogs!
But maybe bring it a little less?

Only one game in the books and this is already a classic series!

Edit: The deciding Yelich 3-run homer came after, with 2 outs and nobody on, Norm Cash dropped a throw from Harry Brecheen that would have been the third out. Then Wade Boggs (OMG, better than Cash?!?) singled, and Yelich...well...
Attached Images

Last edited by JasonC23; 02-16-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #69
zagtastic
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
But maybe bring it a little less?

Only one game in the books and this is already a classic series!

Edit: The deciding Yelich 3-run homer came after, with 2 outs and nobody on, Norm Cash dropped a throw from Harry Brecheen that would have been the third out. Then Wade Boggs (OMG, better than Cash?!?) singled, and Yelich...well...
just had a few minutes to take a peek. didn't have time to see the "story" behind the ending... but after reading your description, i'm feeling like the game was a little too "on the nose" with that one. wow.

btw, in terms of our teams' commonalities-- you mentioned offense earlier, but our pitching builds may be even more similar. 11 arms (6 of them shared), 8 (4r/4l) natural starters, 3 natural relievers, mild preference for stuff, with the goal of being effective, flexible, and at least slightly realistic.

this is fun. probably will get to peek at the result of the next game, but i'll be out for a couple hours after that. good luck, and if you beat me-- well, congrats and go win the whole thing!
zagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #70
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagtastic View Post
this is fun. probably will get to peek at the result of the next game, but i'll be out for a couple hours after that. good luck, and if you beat me-- well, congrats and go win the whole thing!
Or, maybe you go win the whole thing? Red Raiders on the (red) ropes...
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #71
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

P438: Zags!

Wow, so, yeah, that was impressive. The Huntley Red Raiders shall now be rooting for the Gonzaga Bulldogs to treat everyone else the way they treated us. Go Zags!
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #72
Orion
Major Leagues

Angel Fire came into the playoffs on a red hot streak and proceeded to sweep the outmatched Baseball Kiitties. Pine Ridge is poised to upset Ann Arbor, leading 2 games to 1, so I might get lucky again with the matchup. The Craft Brewers have a good squad but it's simply a better matchup for me. We await the winner.

The wolves on the other hand, slumped badly in september, lost home field advantage, and were summarily swept. Flyers were also dispatched by the whale to close out the season. On the bright side, I finally ID'd a replacement for Ron Cey at 3b, a guy I loved in RL but he is trash in OOTP PL. I'm expecting the lineup to be very explosive moving forward. Although the Dodgers might have the best overall options of any single theme team (ESPECIALLY if you allow part-timers), I am allowing Negro Leaguers as an extra option which makes sense given the Jackie Robinson angle, and the cards are just plain fun. I may be tempted to roll another one in OOTP 21, just to prove you can win a title with a theme team. Dodgers can sport a starting rotation no other single squad theme team can match, and they have plenty of bats to pick from.

Last edited by Orion; 02-16-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #73
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Gold Miners beat us in the DS 3 games to 1. I rambled a bit about it in the PT Dynasty Reports-> New York Flyers Thread.

That team deserves a lot of credit.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #74
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
BTW, Go Flyers Go!
Thanks for the supports...
I did not see this until after they defeated us.

I've been thinking about communications lately because I'm one of the few people in the world seemingly without a cell phone.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #75
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Thanks for the supports...
I did not see this until after they defeated us.

I've been thinking about communications lately because I'm one of the few people in the world seemingly without a cell phone.

As nice as they can be, there are many times I wish I did not have a cell phone, I miss the ability to be 'unavailable'.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #76
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Gold Miners beat us in the DS 3 games to 1. I rambled a bit about it in the PT Dynasty Reports-> New York Flyers Thread.

That team deserves a lot of credit.

I learned something from that team...going to go over and check our your recap.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #77
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Lost to Saigon in 5. Game 5 went all the way to the bottom of the 13th after we managed to blow a 4-run lead.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #78
zagtastic
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Wow, so, yeah, that was impressive. The Huntley Red Raiders shall now be rooting for the Gonzaga Bulldogs to treat everyone else the way they treated us. Go Zags!
i appreciate it... but am not filled with confidence. if i had been able to do that consistently this season, i wouldn't have been in the WC game.

not even much left to tinker with. opponents ahead pretty much dictate sticking with my lefty platoon pitching staff, though i'm really not sure it'll make much of a difference against that bermuda triangle team, they are just silly.

i feel like you'd have had a better chance at seeing this thing through.
zagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #79
Orion
Major Leagues

Team was sloppy with 2 errors. Ozzie Smith starts the game by throwing a ball at the 1b's feet, then follows up by striking out with men on 1st and 2nd no outs in the 2nd. Luckily Homerun Baker broke out against the tough lefty, going 2-4 with a 2b, HR and 3 RBI's. That was all that Rube needed as he went 7 with 0 ER allowed. Frank DiPino gets the save coming off his masterful 0.89 ERA/2.21 FIP season, averaging nearly 11K/IP.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #80
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Goes without saying that my 108 win team nearly blew the DS and had to come from 2-0 down, while my 86 win wildcard team comfortably beat the team who won the division 3-1