Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

PLEASE fix contract negotiations

This might be different for other people, but from my experience, the player's demands (A) never go down and (B) never adapt to the kind of contract you offer them. If I offer a 1-year deal when he wants a 10-year deal, he should indicate how much money I need to offer to sign him to a 1-year deal, rather than hold out for a 10-year deal. The same is true for the opposite. Rather than simply saying "I don't want a long-term deal", the player should indicate what he would be willing to take for a long-term deal. The demands should also go down to reach a medium as negotiations progress. What I would like is a screen similar to trading where you can see the player's demands on one side and make an offer on the other side, as well as the player's reaction to your deal. It may sound like I'm whining, but I think this would allow players to negotiate contracts more effectively.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
This might be different for other people, but from my experience, the player's demands (A) never go down and (B) never adapt to the kind of contract you offer them. If I offer a 1-year deal when he wants a 10-year deal, he should indicate how much money I need to offer to sign him to a 1-year deal, rather than hold out for a 10-year deal. The same is true for the opposite. Rather than simply saying "I don't want a long-term deal", the player should indicate what he would be willing to take for a long-term deal. The demands should also go down to reach a medium as negotiations progress. What I would like is a screen similar to trading where you can see the player's demands on one side and make an offer on the other side, as well as the player's reaction to your deal. It may sound like I'm whining, but I think this would allow players to negotiate contracts more effectively.
In the binary world of computers you can never get the nuances of RL negotiations. Even FM doesn't do it well.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if there's no free agency, maybe.

any guy demanding a 10yr contract can likely do far better than a heavy 1 year contracy... in some cases even doubling is just a blip compared to the future total income.

no guarantees they can get a 10year "next" year either. one year older certainly doesn't make a big FA sexier.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

I also think the assistant GM should comment on free agent signings and extensions. Something like "There is a lot to like about this" or "This is too much money" or "The term is too long" or something to that effect would be useful.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

This has been a long standing problem. Another issue is how guys become free agents and always leave the team they originally played with, whereas in real life, guys often become FAs but will go back to their original team for whatever reason.

The adapting of the market thing is a real problem, though. Guys shouldn't just opt to be free agents indefinitely because they don't get their market value, they should ask for less because no one is offering it, which shouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to fix. Right now, it's very either/or and it does make player movement extremely unrealistic unless you do lots of side things to make it a bit less bad
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
dbqs
Major Leagues

Currently free agents do ask for less money as they sit on the market longer in the offseason. I've signed plenty of guys for way cheaper contracts than their initial demand, especially if they're older/declining etc. If they're young stars, of course they'll get what they demand. I've seen the Mike Moustakas situation play out plenty of times in the offseason (especially with MM himself, lol) where they have a demand of double digit-salary for 4-5 years, etc but if you wait til February and no one's signed their sorry ass you can snag em on a 4m 1 year deal.

And to the post above, I do notice guys resign with their current team plenty of times - I haven't noticed it more or less than in regular MLB IRL. It's much more rare for a player to stick with their original team for their entire career than it is for them to hop somewhere else after their arbitration years.

One thing that has annoyed me is I'm not sure why sometimes I'm in a bidding war for a free agent, and the price gets to be too much so I move on - but then the amount they end up signing for is significantly less than what they were demanding from me. Even if my team just won the World Series and I have a good reputation, etc. - in 2018 terms, say I'm the Yankees, wouldn't someone want to sign with us for at least the same, if not LESS money than say, the Orioles at this point?

I understand and it's a realistic/good device to be like, oh, well these guys are gonna pay me real well, so you should pony up - and you don't have to say exactly what they're offering - but it seems unrealistic that they would sign with another team for less money than I offered at least if it's a less prestigious team...

Last edited by dbqs; 07-10-2018 at 03:23 PM.
dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Juggernt
Major Leagues

I'm just perplexed at how FAs sign for less money and worse terms for other franchises. During negotiations, they won't budge, then I see they signed for 80% of what I offered them.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
stiffy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqs View Post
Currently free agents do ask for less money as they sit on the market longer in the offseason. I've signed plenty of guys for way cheaper contracts than their initial demand, especially if they're older/declining etc. If they're young stars, of course they'll get what they demand. I've seen the Mike Moustakas situation play out plenty of times in the offseason (especially with MM himself, lol) where they have a demand of double digit-salary for 4-5 years, etc but if you wait til February and no one's signed their sorry ass you can snag em on a 4m 1 year deal.
To me this is an issue itself. There shouldn't be a pre-determined date where all the contract demands go down. Players should individually decide when they want to lower their demands, and it should happen at different intervals.

We had one offseason in an online league where most teams were cash-strapped due to a lot of spending in the previous offseasons, and there were tons of players just sitting around. Everyone knew we had to just wait until February and if that didn't lower the demands enough then you wait for Spring Training to sign them to one-year deals.

In reality, the players should notice that there's a cash crunch and that no offers are going out and lower their demands much more quickly. They should realize there are a finite amount of dollars to be given out and the longer you wait and allow more players to sign, the more likely you are to be left out in the cold.

This is all compounded by the fact that qualifying offer salaries aren't tied to the top 125 contracts like IRL (you have to manually monitor this) and that players can be offered a qualifying offer as many times as you want (IRL they can be offered it once in their career). This past offseason there were nine players offered and none accepted, but there are a lot more offered and accepted in practice in OOTP.

I would also love to see some players have more specific demands, i.e. they want an opt out after year 4 and won't take any offer that doesn't have that or specifically wants a 4 year deal with a player option in each of the last two years. I think this could help shield some of those players that are signed to long-term deals early in arbitration by most of them wanting opt outs a few years after they would've hit free agency or wanting deals that end before they hit 30 so they get a good shot at free agency.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:06 AM   #9
illflow
Bat Boy

The veterans get too cheap. My first year with the expansion Tampa Devil Rays (1998) I was planning on building a roster mostly around the expansion draft with a emphasis on not taking on any huge contracts. As I get closer to spring training, FA contract demands DRAMATICALLY decreased, which makes sense to a point. But what doesn't make sense is that no other teams started bidding on them. So I went and signed Randy Johnson, Jeff Kent, Travis Fryman, Mike Bordick, Mo and Greg Vaughn, Raferal Palmerio, Andruw Jones, Ray Lankford, Jay and Derek Belle, Saberhagen, Kenny Rodgers and a few others all within a week or so for super cheap. So cheap that I still had one of the lowest payrolls, and won 110 games plus the WS.
illflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
Ashbury
Minors (Single A)

If a guy wants a 10-year deal and you offer 1-year (or, vice versa), the guy is under no obligation to answer your question of "then what would it take"? IRL you might, or might not, get an answer. They might even break off negotiations summarily.

But I could see adding the ability to ask that specific question if you want to, and see whether you get an answer or not. Might depends on aspects of the player's personality. Might be a fun tweak to the game.

Do player agents in the game have personalities?
Ashbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
Ashbury
Minors (Single A)

If a guy wants a 10-year deal and you offer 1-year (or, vice versa), the guy is under no obligation to answer your question of "then what would it take"? IRL you might, or might not, get an answer. They might even break off negotiations summarily.

But I could see adding the ability to ask that specific question if you want to, and see whether you get an answer or not. Might depends on aspects of the player's personality. Might be a fun tweak to the game.

Do player agents in the game have personalities?
Ashbury is offline   Reply With Quote