Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

Umpires

I'd like to see OOTP try simulating the in-game effect of having different umpires/umpire crews in each game. We all know that historically, some umpires have been more pitcher-friendly while others have been more hitter-friendly, and that can impact different teams in different ways depending on roster makeup and coaching strategy. There could even be some sort of setting that allows us to determine the overall makeup of umpires getting generated by the game (eg "70% of umpires will favor hitters over pitchers" or "40% of umpires will favor runners over fielders").

It would also had a little depth to the personality IMO if OOTP could simulate umpire personalities in terms of which umpires are more patient and which ones are more likely to kick you out of the game right away.
lightgrenade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Also real Announcers,Insiders and so on to.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Kobeck
Major Leagues

the umpire thing would be awesome

should track home team Win % and all stats.

and include an ability for 'God mode' to move them from league to league or even minors or just fire them ect...

with the power of todays hardware, even a few years old hardware, this is really not a huge PC power issue.

I mean crap could have a variable where they also occasionally have a bad day.

Could have crews not just Home Plate umpires and give them different ratings when covering 1b 2b or 3b.

definatly an area ripe for expansion.

sorry about rambling. Just typing as I was thinking
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely digging the idea of a crew feature.

As for tracking home win %, I think it would be really cool to have some variable in the umpires' personalities to control how easily influenced they are by sentiment of the home crowd. That way, we can create a realistic home field advantage for teams with high attendance and high fan loyalty.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I'd like video replay to overturn all the bad calls.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'd like video replay to overturn all the bad calls.

That would be a cool rule that you could toggle on or off - perhaps even make it vary on that subleague level, a la the DH?
Old 01-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgrenade07 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely digging the idea of a crew feature.

As for tracking home win %, I think it would be really cool to have some variable in the umpires' personalities to control how easily influenced they are by sentiment of the home crowd. That way, we can create a realistic home field advantage for teams with high attendance and high fan loyalty.
The home field advantage in Baseball is very well established. Do you find it unrealistic in game?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 01-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The home field advantage in Baseball is very well established. Do you find it unrealistic in game?
I agree with you on both, because in my experience I have found home field advantage to be weaker in game (especially in the playoffs) than what I'm used to seeing in real life. At the moment, though, I don't know of any way to calibrate this effect in game.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with you on both, because in my experience I have found home field advantage to be weaker in game (especially in the playoffs) than what I'm used to seeing in real life. At the moment, though, I don't know of any way to calibrate this effect in game.
Close to 100 seasons in the last 4 versions of the game have me at 53%-56%. My just completed season was 55.0% vs 53% in MLB 2014 (note correction). I think the long term real life MLB HF advantage is about 54.7%.

So I'm still curious why you would want umpire tweaking to be the calibrator? Almost all of that HF advantage in baseball comes from the mathematical advantage of the 9th inning. Using an unreliable concept like umpire variability to affect something that doesn't appear to need fixing just seems like arcading to me. I'd need to see some real data over several seasons showing a consistent reproducible effect first.

As for the playoffs HF advantage is historically less in real life and the game seems to reflect this. The sample size is so small that just about any result can be expected. Someone probably has historical data.

RichW

#stopthestupid

Last edited by RchW; 01-17-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Corrected calculation error
Old 01-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

My experience hasn't correlated with your findings. Are you playing predominantly historical sims, or fictional? (I lean overwhelmingly toward the latter).

I'm in 1888 with a fictional league and right now home field wins 49% of the time. In an earlier game, where I started in 1871 and went all the way to WWII, I noticed that road teams were consistently upsetting the home teams in the playoffs; once I started keeping track, I found that the road team was winning 58% of the time.

At any rate, HFA is not a prime reason why I want to simulate umpires in-game. It's a tangent, and I don't want it to become the focus of this discussion.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My experience hasn't correlated with your findings. Are you playing predominantly historical sims, or fictional? (I lean overwhelmingly toward the latter).

I'm in 1888 with a fictional league and right now home field wins 49% of the time. In an earlier game, where I started in 1871 and went all the way to WWII, I noticed that road teams were consistently upsetting the home teams in the playoffs; once I started keeping track, I found that the road team was winning 58% of the time.

At any rate, HFA is not a prime reason why I want to simulate umpires in-game. It's a tangent, and I don't want it to become the focus of this discussion.
Only fictional but set to mimic MLB around 2009.

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 02-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
Kobeck
Major Leagues

bump ....

because UMPIRES would be awesome
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote