Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I've looked into purchasing other TTS voices. Where are you looking? Which companies?
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Wasn't sure if I was allowed to mention company names. I attempted to post a youtube video I made using one particular voice but the post doesn't seem to have made it past the board moderation process.

I've been mainly using IVONA since they offer 30 day free trials of all their range. Quite a bit better than the default Windows options, especially since they have a straightforward lexicon where you can alter pronunciations - I found this much easier to use than the tts_ pronunciation file in the 'misc' OOTP folder.
Quinton_Upchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #23
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Do you have just a link to the YouTube video? I don't think posting it would be a problem.

I tried (and liked) IVONA Joey. He has a Latin-esque quality. Does OOTP recognize your changes to the IVONA lexicon? I was under the impression that it does not.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Do you have just a link to the YouTube video? I don't think posting it would be a problem.

I tried (and liked) IVONA Joey. He has a Latin-esque quality. Does OOTP recognize your changes to the IVONA lexicon? I was under the impression that it does not.

Yes I have also been using Joey. OOTP recognises the changes just fine although I did experience some problems before I deleted the tts_pronunciation file (I presume that file is set up for the Windows voices - it produces odd results with non-Windows voices).

Here's the video:

OOTP Text to speech (IVONA Joey) - YouTube
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Nice video. I miss the crowd sounds, though.

The tts_pronunciation file is set up for Windows, yes. SAPI5, I think. Does IVONA use a different phonetic system for pronunciations? The tts_pronunciation file is there, of course, to ensure that the TTS narrator pronounces all those first and last names correctly.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Ha yes I turned the crowd sound off because the recording quality was not too good.

The IVONA system must be slightly different because when I originally installed it many of the names, even some of the straightforward ones, sounded wrong. After removing the tts_pronunciation file there was a marked improvement although, of course, I have subsequently added lots of less common names to my IVONA lexicon.

The other good thing about the lexicon was that I was able to add all the batting averages (e.g. .278) in less than half an hour. I reckon that would have taken much, much longer using the phonetic OOTP TTS file.

At the risk of this sounding like a commercial for IVONA, it's also simple to test out pronunciations. On their home page you have unlimited scope for messing around with whatever words you like in any of their voices.

If anyone wants a copy of my lexicon file, I'd be more than willing to share. I am continually making adjustments as I listen to games but I'm relatively happy with it as it stands.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #27
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

OK, so OOTP does use the IVONA lexicon file? For some reason, I didn't think it would.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
OK, so OOTP does use the IVONA lexicon file? For some reason, I didn't think it would.
I was a little surprised when it worked straightaway!

Perhaps important to note that I'm using Windows 7 and accessing the lexicon through Control Panel>Speech Recognition>Text To Speech>Settings.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #29
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Hmm. In Windows 8, the Settings button is greyed out. (Is it because I no longer have the Joey voice installed; I just have the default Windows voices.)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

I think so. I just switched to Microsoft Anna and 'settings' became greyed out.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Broooklyn
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Anyone else that is using Windows 8 having issues with the IVONA voices? They simply will not work for me. I have done everything possible to get them to work, and no matter which voice I choose that I have downloaded, I receive no voice in game. I am selecting the voices directly from the pull down menu in the Text to Speech options in windows, and have selected the option to use TTS within OOTP itself, yet I receive nothing. The default voice that I have works fine though.

Edited to add: Odd, it is stating that the license has expired and I just downloaded the program last night.

Last edited by Broooklyn; 05-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Broooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #32
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broooklyn View Post
Anyone else that is using Windows 8 having issues with the IVONA voices? They simply will not work for me. I have done everything possible to get them to work, and no matter which voice I choose that I have downloaded, I receive no voice in game. I am selecting the voices directly from the pull down menu in the Text to Speech options in windows, and have selected the option to use TTS within OOTP itself, yet I receive nothing. The default voice that I have works fine though.

Edited to add: Odd, it is stating that the license has expired and I just downloaded the program last night.
Just a thought but you aren't trying to use the non US English IVONA voices are you? They don't work in Windows 7 no matter how I set up TTS.

My only other suggestion is to uninstall IVONA and download just Joey, Eric or Kendra. All three of those definitely work in my game.

Last edited by Quinton_Upchurch; 05-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #33
Broooklyn
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton_Upchurch View Post
Just a thought but you aren't trying to use the non US English IVONA voices are you? They don't work in Windows 7 no matter how I set up TTS.

My only other suggestion is to uninstall IVONA and download just Joey, Eric or Kendra. All three of those definitely work in my game.
Unfortunately for me, I have tried what you have suggested, and it still will not recognize the voices for whatever strange reason. You mentioned Windows 7, are you yourself using Win7? I am using win8.

I really would love for this to work, because if it did, I would certainly purchase the IVONA software and a couple of voices, because I love this TTS concept. The default voice I can deal with, but these IVONA voices do sound better.

Edited to add: Ok, I went ahead and gambled and purchased the voice Joey, and thankfully it worked beautifully. I am very pleased with it.

Last edited by Broooklyn; 05-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #34
Broooklyn
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton_Upchurch

If anyone wants a copy of my lexicon file, I'd be more than willing to share. I am continually making adjustments as I listen to games but I'm relatively happy with it as it stands.
Hi Quinton,

I personally would love to have a copy of your lexicon file. I just purchased the Joey voice and it really sounds good, so I figured I would ask since you are offering. =)

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #35
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broooklyn View Post
Unfortunately for me, I have tried what you have suggested, and it still will not recognize the voices for whatever strange reason. You mentioned Windows 7, are you yourself using Win7? I am using win8.

I really would love for this to work, because if it did, I would certainly purchase the IVONA software and a couple of voices, because I love this TTS concept. The default voice I can deal with, but these IVONA voices do sound better.

Edited to add: Ok, I went ahead and gambled and purchased the voice Joey, and thankfully it worked beautifully. I am very pleased with it.
Yeah I'm on Windows 7, good to hear it works on Windows 8.

I love the concept too. Further development of TTS in OOTP15 would be most welcome.

I use Joey mainly although I have also now purchased Kendra which is really smooth and, for me, slightly easier to follow. I've developed a fairly extensive lexicon for Joey which includes all the batting averages plus other changes to help the commentary flow better, PM me your email address if you'd like a copy.

EDIT - Ha, sorry. Typed all that out without seeing your last post. Hopefully this will work if I put in on dropbox...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lish-ivona.lex

EDIT2 - Okay that doesn't appear to work, although you can see the changes I've made. PM me and I'll send a copy.

Last edited by Quinton_Upchurch; 05-10-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Another video, this time using IVONA Kendra. Smoothest voice in their range I reckon:

OOTP TTS Kendra 2 - YouTube
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #37
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

That actually doesn't sound too bad....I would almost consider leaving it on. Obviously still a little dry, but decent.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #38
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Yeah, Kendra is my favorite, for now.

One additional angle I'm keen on exploring is that the lexicon makes it fairly easy to add some more color to the commentaries. For example, if Joey Votto was up to bat you can make it say "Here comes the Toronto, Ontario native, Joey Votto" or "Up steps the 2010 NL MVP, Votto" or if he makes a great play in the field, "A sensational play by the Gold Glover Votto".

Last edited by Quinton_Upchurch; 05-10-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
Broooklyn
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I guess this one is for either Markus or Andreas, but if anyone else may have an idea, by all means share it.

Just out of curiosity, I have yet another question. Yesterday I purchased a second voice and this particular voice seemingly only works with a program called Text Aloud. It is an absolutely fantastic voice, full of expression and emotion at times. It truly would be a fantastic voice if I could find a way to use it with the TTS option in OOTP. So my question is, is there a way to change the path in OOTP to direct it to perhaps use the program Text Aloud as the application that will allow me to hear this particular voice? Within the text aloud software, there is a drop down menu that displays all of the voices I currently have, and use that voice as the default voice of the reader, so I was wondering if there was any way what so ever that I could get OOTP to recognize the existence of this voice is some fashion.

Thanks.

Last edited by Broooklyn; 05-10-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #40
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Are you using Windows 8 (64-bit)? And, out of curiosity, which voice is it that you like?