Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Reaching Perfect League "too easy"

For the first time I reached Perfect League Level.

I personally think, it is too easy too achieve:

- never invested any real money
- had huge reserve rosters, wrong idea, why?
- paid attention to card values, not player ratings
- collected cards for missions, too difficult, takes too long, too expensive
- didn't do any card trading, too risky
- invested PP to buy packs, worst idea

Fact is, that I started to move up those levels when I started with ONE SINGLE strategy that works.

BALLPARK FACTORS

You can reach Perfect League quite easily in a reasonable time if you have the right ballpark factors
(and then bring in the right players for that by using the auction house, save PP from achievements)

So if I can reach that, it is not worth much for everyone.
Just my two cents.

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 02-24-2020 at 07:21 AM.
RoteLaterne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

You are in luck. It will be harder in OOTP21.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Yes, people have been saying for a while that there are way way too many perfect levels and so it is being changed in the next version.

By this time in the game just by still being active you are ahead of 95% of teams that were created at some point

Last edited by dkgo; 02-24-2020 at 08:14 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Hertston
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteLaterne View Post

- never invested any real money
- had huge reserve rosters, wrong idea, why?
- paid attention to card values, not player ratings
- collected cards for missions, too difficult, takes too long, too expensive
- didn't do any card trading, too risky
- invested PP to buy packs, worst idea
A few comments on that.

1. You should be able to succeed without spending real money. If you can't the game is nothing but a glorified mobile PTW. The devs have various things to balance, of course, including making money, but players spending more should only ease the process, not enable it.

2. A lot of that depends on what you choose to do with the game. My own 'huge reserve rosters', include good teams for many types of tourney, ongoing and completed collection missions, interesting historical players and anything else I feel like hanging on to.

3. True.

4. See '2'. Collection missions are just that and very few carry rewards worth the cost of acquiring them, but some folks just like to collect. They can actually been done quickly and easily IF you have the PP. Anything not available tends to turn up in a few days in most cases. And always look out for missions where you have 'accidently' acquired the expensive cards for other purposes - that can happen fairly easily with the live rosters for example. Beware the card lock though, once used to complete a collection they can't be sold.

5. I don't see where the 'risk' is. Certainly trying to use the auctions like a stock market sim isn't easy because of the 10% cut.. indeed that's largely why there IS a 10% cut. Otherwise, just avoid paying silly money and don't price below 112% of the auto-sale value. Historics trade for substantially more at Gold and above, the difference verging on insane when you get to Perfect, so price high and drop in increments until you sell.

6. True in general. However, a lot of people get pleasure in just doing that as well. There also comes a point where it is the only realistic way, if a long shot, at getting the PP or even a card that actually improves your team.

I'd also point out reaching Perfect level is rather easier than winning it, or even having a reasonable chance to do so. Teams range from platinum/gold mixes with maybe a couple of Live! perfects to full teams of Perfect historics. There is no way to beat the latter except by blind luck, and lots of it, no matter what your ballpark stats or tactical variations are.

The other thing to remember is that most teams in the lower leagues aren't even being actively 'played'; they are mostly those of players who got them to a certain level and then abandoned them. Any sound strategy is likely to prevail against no strategy at all.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteLaterne View Post
I personally think, it is too easy too achieve:
Verified many times.

Offense-only teams can easily blow through diamond and into PeL sans pitching.

But they tend to boomerang, hard.

In fact, thinking further, it may be easier now than ever before.

The 7days are working, now. Addition to the (poor) Overalls, you have auction house price reinforcement, which tends to be at least *moderately* reliable. [caveat emptor]

Last edited by Lemandria; 02-24-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertston View Post
A few comments on that.
I am agreeing with everything you said.

Just wanted to point out, that ballpark factors are huge.
I was 62-19 at home.

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 02-24-2020 at 12:08 PM.
RoteLaterne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
FoulBall01
Bat Boy

well gee.. just what i need.. harder? i have a starting roster of players in the 90's and i am on a 19 game losing streak.. must be a PT record.. i should be in the PT hall of shame.. it's first inductee. I am 15th in every category, my starting and relief staff have era's over 6.00 or HIGHER.. if i knew how to post screen shots i would. I would love to know the secret of winning a game with these high level players,and it pains me to see teams with Golds in the lineups against me and they kick my ass. frustrated..
FoulBall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulBall01 View Post
well gee.. just what i need.. harder? i have a starting roster of players in the 90's and i am on a 19 game losing streak.. must be a PT record.. i should be in the PT hall of shame.. it's first inductee. I am 15th in every category, my starting and relief staff have era's over 6.00 or HIGHER.. if i knew how to post screen shots i would. I would love to know the secret of winning a game with these high level players,and it pains me to see teams with Golds in the lineups against me and they kick my ass. frustrated..
First tip: The OVR of your player isn't what makes them perform well, it's the stats. If the golds you're losing to are Boudreau and Pesky and you're out there running Semien at SS and Chapman at 3B, you're not going to get the job done.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:25 AM   #9
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

This is the record of my 4th team set up using Origin Access. I basically set them up in the first three seasons using all live cards, apart from future stars tatis jr who was in my starter pack. it took 11 seasons to reach Perfect level (despite them not being that good. i only looked at them once in a while, last season i used the PP they had earned and sold off most of the players to open packs and do some cheap collections. I just find it odd how they surged initially and then with the exact same team dropped like a rock

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #10
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I just find it odd how they surged initially and then with the exact same team dropped like a rock

I think that any team left fallow is going to trend downward. The league competition at every level gows steadily stronger as a result of tournament awards.

Standing pat = general slow decline.

Quickly? Variety of reasons. Folks have seen your team before an identified a flaw?

Last edited by Lemandria; 03-02-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Another aspect worth considering is that, assuming we all eschew incremental upgrades and avoid mistakes and inefficient upgrades, we only need a finite amount of points to make our "end team." In 19, points were very difficult to come by, but 20 has more achievements that generate far more points, allowing F2P teams to rise at faster rates than in the previous version (this view assumes whales rise at a static rate which is early, which, anecdotally is... mostly true-ish). Tournaments are a further source of income (both points and cards) that were absent in 19.

Basically, all this, combined with no change in league structuring, amounts to 20 being a much shorter game, in regards to the natural life cycle of a team being actively managed and grown, than 19.

I don't know if its easier, per se, to reach Perfect Leagues, but the process has definitely sped up from what it was in 19.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #12
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Another aspect worth considering is that, assuming we all eschew incremental upgrades and avoid mistakes and inefficient upgrades, we only need a finite amount of points to make our "end team." In 19, points were very difficult to come by, but 20 has more achievements that generate far more points, allowing F2P teams to rise at faster rates than in the previous version (this view assumes whales rise at a static rate which is early, which, anecdotally is... mostly true-ish). Tournaments are a further source of income (both points and cards) that were absent in 19.

Basically, all this, combined with no change in league structuring, amounts to 20 being a much shorter game, in regards to the natural life cycle of a team being actively managed and grown, than 19.

I don't know if its easier, per se, to reach Perfect Leagues, but the process has definitely sped up from what it was in 19.

yeah, I'd echo that sentiment... my pre-ww2 theme team never made the Perfect tier in v19 (at least not before v20 came out, I believe they finally cracked the Perfect tier eventually but not until after the bulk of the community made the shift to the new version)....

in v20, the same pre-ww2 theme has played 20+ seasons at the Perfect tier (with no small part due to reward offerings in collections/tourneys)... still haven't won a title at the top tier, so there's still one more achievement to reach
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Playing pretty much every day from launch with three theme teams, it took me a few months to get to Perfect (eventually all made it at some point or another), and it felt rewarding. More so with a solitary Perfect Playoff appearance

Now, I never even bothered with park factors and was fairly relaxed about things - I just wanted cool teams and to win more often than not
Old 03-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
Sipimi
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleigh View Post
This is the record of my 4th team set up using Origin Access. I basically set them up in the first three seasons using all live cards, apart from future stars tatis jr who was in my starter pack. it took 11 seasons to reach Perfect level (despite them not being that good. i only looked at them once in a while, last season i used the PP they had earned and sold off most of the players to open packs and do some cheap collections. I just find it odd how they surged initially and then with the exact same team dropped like a rock

A lot of collections with solid new cards made their appearance in many teams' roster, that probably explains it a bit.
Sipimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #15
NakedReporta
Minors (Single A)

Took me 53 seasons

Survived my first season (2072) by one game, 66-96.

Didn't spend a penny.
NakedReporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Is that without ever logging on? lol
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote