Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Robo Umps

So what is everyone's opinion towards this new Robo Ump topic?

I am usually against all changes but this is one I actually like. My main reason for liking this change is because I don't like it when players have to change their play style based on the ump they get. I want that to be based off the players against players.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

When they get it working right, I'm all for it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

I am tired of seeing umps calling strikes on balls that are 5 inches off the plate. I know the Atlantic League is testing it and MLB is paying for it.
Once they get the kinks worked out, I will be for it. From what I saw, the audience will not even know that it is a Robo ump making the call. The ump wears a small earpiece that tells the ump if it is a ball or strike and the ump calls it out loud.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Oh, but the umpire will know that he's been reduced to a waterboy for the robot overlords.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 AM   #5
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

I'd much rather keep humans doing the call. One radio broadcast I listened to made a good point, I thought, which is that inevitably this change will lead to more.

However, that doesn't seem to be the way sports are going
Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Reed
All Star Starter

This reminds me of a cartoon I saw about 45 years ago when I was a teenager. My uncle who died about that time had a scrapbook that he had as a teenager, 1925-1935?. He was a St. Louis Cardinal fan and kept baseball articles. Anyway, There was an article in his scrapbook discussing hooking the umpires up to an electronic device that the umpires would use to show balls and strikes, something like light bulbs. A reporter asked Casey Stengel what he thought about it and his response was in the form of a cartoon. He said, go for it, maybe the bastards will get electrocuted. And it had a caricature of an ump behind home plate shaking while being hooked to electrical lines. Probably not PC correct but the Robo umps reminds me of that cartoon and I can imagine Stengel saying that today if he were alive.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Beware the onslaught of AI and the automation of human affairs, folks. Well, at least be aware of it since it is inevitable, but we can still resist and stave it off for a while.

Here it is in microcosm: A job that has been performed by human beings for 150 years is about to go out the window. Because, to maximize profits, MLB will not be employing people to repeat "ball" and "strike" according to what they hear piped into their ear buds. No, the automated PA announcer will do that nicely and at no cost.

That sort of thing is just beginning now and it is going to accelerate at a breathless pace. There will be much suffering involved because our laissez-faire leaders will let it happen of its own accord.

So, no, let baseball be played - and umpired - by human beings.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Beware the onslaught of AI and the automation of human affairs, folks. Well, at least be aware of it since it is inevitable, but we can still resist and stave it off for a while.

Here it is in microcosm: A job that has been performed by human beings for 150 years is about to go out the window. Because, to maximize profits, MLB will not be employing people to repeat "ball" and "strike" according to what they hear piped into their ear buds. No, the automated PA announcer will do that nicely and at no cost.

That sort of thing is just beginning now and it is going to accelerate at a breathless pace. There will be much suffering involved because our laissez-faire leaders will let it happen of its own accord.

So, no, let baseball be played - and umpired - by human beings.
You still need a home plate umpire.

Who's going to call wild pitches, passed balls?

Who's going to call the play at the plate when the runner slides and it's close?

Who's going to call catcher interference?

I don't believe that MLB will go so far as to watch replays to decide all those calls. That would add more time to games, not speed them up.

Plus that much replay would be detrimental to fan interest imo.

I'm all for a standard strike zone, whether it's AI or Umps calling it. Problem with Umps is, they all have their own idea of what's a strike and what isn't.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-16-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
slic1149
Major Leagues

It seems to me that having 68 umpires working in the MLB means that players are forced to adapt to 68 different strike zones. That does not seem like the best way to adjudicate strikes and balls. At the very least an electronic device will give players a consistent zone they can adjust to.

However, there would no doubt be issues, both those already brought up, and those that have not been thought of yet. My personal opinion is the use of robo umps should continue to be investigated. If the process appears to make sense then it should be tried.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Reed
All Star Starter

Now and in the near future these jobs and many more will be replaced by robotics. Truck drivers, cashiers, chef, waiter/waitress, sales reps, etc.. Umpires will be around for a long time.

The game of baseball started changing not for the better with the DH, interleague play, juiced ball or steroids. IMO
Old 07-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Beware the onslaught of AI and the automation of human affairs, folks.
Frackin toasters
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Angel Hernandez.

I rest my case.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

Noooo

I will make a couple of points here. First, we assume that more technology equals progress (this is not always the case) and that robo umps will eliminate “blown calls.” However, most of the time, a blown call is simply that which goes against our team, so it is largely subjective. Should robo umps be used, this will not change, I feel. People will still feel screwed. Second, efforts to “rationalize” sports, whether through robo umps or analytics, does not make the sport more entertaining or interesting to watch. Bad umpiring, where it exists, is part of the fun and this issue regarding automated umps is a sign that: (1) we take sports too damn seriously, and (2) another example of surrendering human thinking to technology. I feel that there should be spaces within our culture, like sports, where we should ignore the propensity to treat tech as a god-like authority like we do everywhere else. Sports are entertainment, and there is nothing that robo umps will add in that regard.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #14
Izz
Hall Of Famer

How is an angry hitter going to argue strike calls with a robo-ump?

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:27 PM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You still need a home plate umpire.

Who's going to call wild pitches, passed balls?

Who's going to call the play at the plate when the runner slides and it's close?

Who's going to call catcher interference?

I don't believe that MLB will go so far as to watch replays to decide all those calls. That would add more time to games, not speed them up.

Plus that much replay would be detrimental to fan interest imo.

I'm all for a standard strike zone, whether it's AI or Umps calling it. Problem with Umps is, they all have their own idea of what's a strike and what isn't.
Correct . . . for now. Perhaps I extrapolated into the future a bit too quickly so your point stands. For now.

My general point also stands, however. With today's technology even, but certainly with what is just around the corner, all of what you gave as examples could be automated and adjudicated without human intervention.

If we allow it. You know what? Good and bad umpires, kind and grumpy umpires, sharp-eyed and nearly blind umpires, have been part of the game since the beginning. It's yet another human aspect of a human game. Baseball has ways to discipline truly bad umpires but the rest pose a challenge of difficulty to players which they must learn, adjust to, and overcome. Why not?

Remote play review is different. It uses technology, yes, but it's still humans making the judgment calls based on better looks at plays. That I can agree with but to remove the human involvement altogether so that a machine makes the calls, well, that crosses a line with me.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 07-16-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:57 AM   #16
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

No way
The Human Umpire is part of the game. The calibration of the "device" used to make the calls . Will the players (batters and field) be able to ask for a review of the pitch call ? It is the same with the calls in the field. Camera angles can make plays look totally different . And all the slow motion replays ......
People complain about the time of games . Replays and reviews slow the game down .
I also complain about the time of games. But today we have every game slowed for commercials and media timeouts . When you are at the game the umpires stand and motions when the batter can come to the plate . In the early days of games on TV a lot of the commercials were done from the broadcast booth . Listen to Dizzy Dean ... listen to Harry (Budwieser) Carey from the early WGN games. Media should try side by side advertising - allow the umpires to keep the game moving and action to continue. It would likely shorten the games by about 40 minutes (from a 3 hour game).

But the game needs the human element .

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #17
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Correct . . . for now. Perhaps I extrapolated into the future a bit too quickly so your point stands. For now.

My general point also stands, however. With today's technology even, but certainly with what is just around the corner, all of what you gave as examples could be automated and adjudicated without human intervention.

If we allow it. You know what? Good and bad umpires, kind and grumpy umpires, sharp-eyed and nearly blind umpires, have been part of the game since the beginning. It's yet another human aspect of a human game. Baseball has ways to discipline truly bad umpires but the rest pose a challenge of difficulty to players which they must learn, adjust to, and overcome. Why not?

Remote play review is different. It uses technology, yes, but it's still humans making the judgment calls based on better looks at plays. That I can agree with but to remove the human involvement altogether so that a machine makes the calls, well, that crosses a line with me.
I understand your point, but give me an example of how you'd have a computer call a close play at the plate. Or catcher interference.

You can't, not without having a "Human" watch the replay and determine if the runner was out or safe, or if the catchers mitt barely touched the bat.

Human intervention will always be required to some extent.

As for hitters overcoming and adapting. Well, MLB doesn't seem too interested in that. Their idea of "adapting" is to ban the shift, rather than force players to learn how to hit.

I'd be happy if they would spend more time & money training Umps and getting a more consistent strike zone.

Myself I don't like automation, but fighting it is a waste of time. It's coming more and more and there's nothing we can do about it. I still can't stand instant replay. It's driven me away from watching sports and ruined my enjoyment of the games.

I like human error in sports, but I don't like every official have their own interpretation of what a strike zone is. MLB makes a sizable profit, so spend some that to better train your umpires I say.

Far too many strike outs and home runs in baseball now. Home runs used to be exciting, now they're so common you can start watching in the 7th inning and you'll still see a few. Wow....... look, he hit a home run.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-17-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Then again the Umpires might not be the biggest thing to worry about

'Elon Musk reveals brain-hacking plans'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49004004
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #19
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

1. I've never gotten the "it won't stop _______ from happening" argument. It's still an improvement. Computers in cars didn't stop vehicles from needing repairs. But it still is an improvement. Computers didn't stop planes from crashing. But it is an improvement.

2. I also never get the human error is part of the fun position. Really? It's fun when Angel Hernandez screws up a game? How much fun did Whitey Herzog have w/Don Dekkinger? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still mad about Game 6 and I was rooting hard, HARD, for the Royals.

The object isn't perfection. The goal is consistency. A standard that can be trusted to be the same in Yankee Stadium or Dodger Stadium. Night or day. Spring training or WS. W/o fear the standard changes because the bearer blinked, had a hard day, has a bromance w/a player, doesn't want to miss his flight, or didn't like the fact he got stared at last August.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 07-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #20
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
How is an angry hitter going to argue strike calls with a robo-ump?
Like Frank Viola did the other day
Atlantic League coach ejected for arguing over automated strike zone just one inning into robot umpire era