Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Azael
Bat Boy

Training

Hi.
I love the game so far.
I'm in my fourth season, and I find that most of my players don't evolve well.
I have some players who are 23-24 years old and only have 2 stars now, with 5 stars in potential.
So I begin to think that my training is not very efficient.

Do you have some tips about that ?
Azael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Azael
Bat Boy

Anyone ?
Azael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

I find it frustrating too. No matter how good a coach I have for the category or how little players I do set for that category the players don’t seem to develop at any pace. It took Laine the bones of 5 seasons to go from 3.5 to 4.5 starts with a 5 star potential and Tkachuk is stuck on 3 stars for the past 5 seasons. The most frustrating part is when their training is set to Offense and the are only improving in face offs.
The training engine should have an option for them to be trained in skating or shooting/passing etc...

I started leaving training in the capable hands of my assistant but that was a disaster...
tk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Generally, try to keep your training focused on the younger players with a lot of unfulfilled potential. The training bonuses (the number in parentheses after Assign Player) shouldn't be divided up so much that they drop lower than 10-12. And if you see an X in the 'C' (competition) column, you may want to look at moving the player to a farm team if he's not quite good enough for your league yet.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Generally, try to keep your training focused on the younger players with a lot of unfulfilled potential. The training bonuses (the number in parentheses after Assign Player) shouldn't be divided up so much that they drop lower than 10-12. And if you see an X in the 'C' (competition) column, you may want to look at moving the player to a farm team if he's not quite good enough for your league yet.
That’s exactly what I’m doing Jeff and still the likes of Laine and Tkachuck take 5 years to move 1 or .5 stars. Players over the age of 25/26 get only mental training for me and I try not to have the category drop bellow 12 and I make sure that the assistant in charge of the category has training for the category and prospects training at least at “very good” level.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Players that are close to reaching their potential (or have exceeded it) have their development slowed. It'll take longer for them to get that last half star or star than earlier stages of development.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
RayRayDK
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azael View Post
Hi.
I love the game so far.
I'm in my fourth season, and I find that most of my players don't evolve well.
I have some players who are 23-24 years old and only have 2 stars now, with 5 stars in potential.
So I begin to think that my training is not very efficient.

Do you have some tips about that ?
Hi Buddy, very interesting topic for me, since i leave the micromanagement to my "experts" but i'd like to enjoy the game a bit more in-depth.

How are you already setting up your training for prospects? Depth? Elite? Veterans?

#88 Ray.
RayRayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
Spaumi10
Bat Boy

Quote:

Does this X in the "C" column mean they aren't good enough for the current league or can it just mean that one way or another, that league is stunting their growth?

The reason I ask because Nathan MacKinnon has that X in the "C" column. Something seems odd about that. And just to avoid any confusion, he is in the NHL at the time.

Last edited by Spaumi10; 10-19-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Spaumi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:07 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaumi10 View Post
Does this X in the "C" column mean they aren't good enough for the current league or can it just mean that one way or another, that league is stunting their growth?

The reason I ask because Nathan MacKinnon has that X in the "C" column. Something seems odd about that. And just to avoid any confusion, he is in the NHL at the time.
It'll appear in both situations. MacKinnon shouldn't be getting it, though, I'll check on what's going on there.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #10
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
It'll appear in both situations. MacKinnon shouldn't be getting it, though, I'll check on what's going on there.
It happens with nearly all 4.5/5 star players Jeff, from the start of the game...

Is there any point training these guys any further? i was just getting mental training for them as it was unlikely that their stats will improve...

Is there any way of controlling what part of training a player does within the group? if I train a D on Offence he always seems to be getting better at faceoffs rather than passing or shooting as i would want to...
Attached Images
Old 10-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
redtiger7
All Star Starter

I've seen 30 year olds get that x many a times.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk43 View Post
It happens with nearly all 4.5/5 star players Jeff, from the start of the game...

Is there any point training these guys any further? i was just getting mental training for them as it was unlikely that their stats will improve...
As long as they're not at their potential, it'll help them.

Quote:
Is there any way of controlling what part of training a player does within the group? if I train a D on Offence he always seems to be getting better at faceoffs rather than passing or shooting as i would want to...
No, the rating in a category that improves is determined semi-randomly, but weighted heavily according to the current state of his ratings relative to the baseline of his template. Controlling exactly what he gets better at would break the system by allowing you to focus only on the most useful categories; occasionally getting a less-useful one like screening for a defenceman or shot blocking for a forward is an essential part of the random aspect of development.