Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #81
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

For me, everything looks fine and I can easily change things if I want to (I never do), but the biggest issue I have with the interface is that it freezes all of the time for not just me, but just about anyone I talk to about it within our online league. If you click away from OOTP while it's doing something and try and come back, you're stuck with a blank white or black screen and have to crash the software and restart. If I minimize the screen, I can't accurately click anywhere. If I walk away from the game and come back to it later, the screen has blanked out again.

it's really, really bad this year, and it's not an issue of computer performance or anything like that--I run far more intensive software for work, etc. on the same machine.

I'm not sure if it's related either, but every time I try and upload the league file from within-game, it gives me an error 100% of the time and I have to manually upload. I can do the reports just fine, but it just can't handle the uploading of the league file (I can create it, but then it usually freezes or just gives an error that it could not be uploaded).
Old 10-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #82
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and I'll throw a vote in to be able to sort your team's stats based on a starting pitcher so that I don't have to go through each player one by one.

I have no idea whether or not that matters in OOTP, but I love seeing when a guy is 11/19 against a SP, and will sit a guy who's 1/22 against someone.

But it's a task to do so!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #83
JPL86
Minors (Double A)

1) Did you like the OOTP 17 color scheme and use of team colors. If not, what could be improved? Yes, but I liked the OOTP Classic better.
2) How about the interface layout, is the upper area (info & navigation) easy to use and understand? Yes, very good.
3) What interface quirks would you like to see fixed / improved?
A) Sticky sorting (as mentioned earlier in this post), and scroll bars.
B) In the lineups and pitching screens, when I switch from a customized view (of all the players ratings), to a standard view (let say Batting stats), (and back)... when I choose a different screen, and come back to the Pitching and/or Lineups screen, it doesn't remember the last view I had. This doesn't always happen, but it happens more than half the time.
4) Any feature ideas that relate to the interface which you'd like to see implemented (i.e. more hotkey support)?
5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes? Used OOTP17 Classic. Like it a lot.

Not sure where this belongs, or how it could be done... The AI perceives me as weak at a certain position and keeps bombarding me with trade offers. In some of these cases, I am happy with either a platoon at that position, or having a younger (rookie) player there, or just am trying to save some money. It would be helpful if there was a way to put the word out that I am satisfied at this position, and not interested in making any moves there.
JPL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #84
anthonywvalentine
All Star Reserve

4) Any feature ideas that relate to the interface which you'd like to see implemented?

Have the up/down arrows on the minor league rosters in the transaction tab sortable.

More customizable options when on the roster/free agent/draft pool pages... Like being able to reorder columns, ability to view Scout and OSA ratings on the same page (ie making Scout and OSA current/potential ratings as a column.) instead of having to flip back and fourth.
anthonywvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #85
malor
Major Leagues

Add a new interface to the Shop a Player feature that will allow us to indicate what type of player we would like to receive in return to narrow down the results. I don't use the feature now because I have gotten tired of seeing the other teams rejects in the list. For example, I want to be able to say, I only want a 20-25 yr old 3B (minor league or major league and salary would also be nice) if that is all I need. If after the search and no players were found, just return a message saying no players found. This would save time sorting through a long list of rejects. The logic already exists on the search player screen so it may be possible to reuse for this feature.
malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #86
anthonywvalentine
All Star Reserve

Tag Controls for coaches!!!!!!!!! So you can delete multiple coaches, instead of single or all.
anthonywvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #87
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

What I'd really like to see:

The option to "sim today until game vs XYZ". One of favorite my fictional leagues is a league with teams spanning from Sydney to Honolulu. My team plays in Acapulco, so when we have a home game I have to "Quick Play" all games that are scheduled earlier in the day. An option to sim the day until my home game would be very helpful.
Attached Images
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947

Last edited by Germaniac; 10-08-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #88
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Also, the option to select which games are displayed on the right side - I'd like to follow games that matter to my team's division or are interesting in a pennant race.
Attached Images
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #89
SI52
Minors (Single A)

This is a small thing, but in OOTP 16 (not sure about 17), if I try to change a player's number to X, and X is already taken, the typing cursor defaults back to the first name entry. I always find myself accidentally naming players "26" and "44" because of this -- it would be great if it could default back to the uniform number entry line.
SI52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #90
risp2out
All Star Reserve

I don't have any pressing interface issues, but one view I would REALLY like is the option to show both my scout's and the OOTP Scouting Association ratings at the same time. I like to confirm when the evaluations are and are not in agreement, and flipping back and forth between scouts is awkward. Thanks for considering (and apologies if anyone else mentioned this before).
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #91
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
For me, everything looks fine and I can easily change things if I want to (I never do), but the biggest issue I have with the interface is that it freezes all of the time for not just me, but just about anyone I talk to about it within our online league. If you click away from OOTP while it's doing something and try and come back, you're stuck with a blank white or black screen and have to crash the software and restart. If I minimize the screen, I can't accurately click anywhere. If I walk away from the game and come back to it later, the screen has blanked out again.

it's really, really bad this year, and it's not an issue of computer performance or anything like that--I run far more intensive software for work, etc. on the same machine.

I'm not sure if it's related either, but every time I try and upload the league file from within-game, it gives me an error 100% of the time and I have to manually upload. I can do the reports just fine, but it just can't handle the uploading of the league file (I can create it, but then it usually freezes or just gives an error that it could not be uploaded).
Can you please PM me info about your system? Obviously this should not happen, and if it was a widespread issue, I'd knew about it.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #92
seven
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
What I'd really like to see:

The option to "sim today until game vs XYZ". One of favorite my fictional leagues is a league with teams spanning from Sydney to Honolulu. My team plays in Acapulco, so when we have a home game I have to "Quick Play" all games that are scheduled earlier in the day. An option to sim the day until my home game would be very helpful.
When you are at the window shown in your message, just select Start Real-Time Simulation, but first set Simulation Speed to Factor 300 (as shown below). Even a time delay of 24 hours (the maximum in a world-wide league) will elapse in less than 5 minutes of real time. And while you are waiting you can see how the games being played turn out.
Attached Images
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #93
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would LOVE to have popups asking you if you want to move forward for important things such as manual award voting, rule 5 draft, etc..

I sometimes forget to do things.. and this year I forgot to do the manual award voting so my custom award never got awarded.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #94
metropolitans
Bat Boy

1) Did you like the OOTP 17 color scheme and use of team colors. If not, what could be improved?

I like it! Only thing I would do: use home/away colors on game screens so you can more easily pick apart teams with similar color schemes. If playing quick against a team with a similar color scheme, I sometimes lose track of whether I'm batting or pitching. Maybe you could use home whites or away greys.

2) How about the interface layout, is the upper area (info & navigation) easy to use and understand?

The upper left area is a bit text-heavy, but definitely usable! If I had to change it, I might go with a calendar format (e.g., http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/down...leSchedule.pdf), with a ticker of upcoming special events ("Spring Training begins", "Trade Deadline") listed at the bottom.

In the Schedule screen, I'd like to see my game at the top. I play as an AL team, so when I have an away game at an NL park, it's below the fold (I play on a 13" MBP Retina). I'd either put My Game at the top by itself, or Interleague games at the top, or invert the league order if my game is in the other league.

On a similar note, when a game gets postponed, I don't like how it goes to the end of the list, since this often puts it below the fold as well. It always seems like it disappeared. I'd prefer if they stayed in place.

Finally, given the interleague nature of the spring training schedule, these are traditionally reported as one league in most newspapers and websites. I would do it this way as well.

Oh, also I'd like to support by secondary columns: say, by rating then by leader ability, or by Coach Reputation then by experience.

4) Any feature ideas that relate to the interface which you'd like to see implemented (i.e. more hotkey support)?

I'd love hotkeys to toggle between tabs or jump to different screens.
I'd love a hotkey for the right-click on any screen to go the previous screen (which I just learned about here and is awesome!)

5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes?

I use Dark. Only complaint is the Icon Bar is always a white foreground, and it doesn't work when yellow is the primary color (A's, Pirates, Rochester Red Wings)

This is coming from hundreds of hours of play, so needless to say, I'm happy overall and the team is doing great work!!!
metropolitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #95
metropolitans
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Not sure if you can on mac...I'll have to see...using a MacBook Pro...with a trackpad
Fellow Mac user here, in case no one's pointed it out yet, you can right-click on a trackpad using Ctrl+Click (i.e., click with the "control" key held down).
metropolitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 AM   #96
Ross333
Minors (Single A)

3. add a column showing a player's rest status % to the pre game team/roster page so I don't have to go into each player in the line-up to determine the rest %.
Ross333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #97
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

+1 to being able to do multi column sorts

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #98
chief915
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I don't have any issues with the interface.....

As far as improvements to the game..... Can you do something with an improvement to "mound visits"?

1) Something along the lines of a possible (doesn't happen with every visit) positive or negative boost (temporary, lasting between a few pitches and an inning or two) to stamina and/or ratings, composure, etc based on the game situation, the pitchers ratings/morale/personality, the batters ratings, the coaches temperament, etc......

2) One way to trigger that +/- boost would be to have a choice of 3 things to "say" during the mound visit..... 1) positive encouragement (just relax, a double play and you're out of this jam) 2) negative encouragement (get your stuff together and throw strikes or I'm going to send you to the minors) 3) How do you feel / I'm just letting the reliever finish warming up. Again, the results of which you choose to say could be determined by the morale/personality of the pitcher and manager..... Adding another bit of "strategy" into the decision......

Bottom line being, with the current system, the only reason for a mound visit is to warm up a reliever a bit more before a change.

You have a pitcher who's pitching very badly, 3 IP, 6 hits, 5 walks.......you visit the mound and he says "I'm perfectly fine, let me pitch please!"..... Obviously you're not "perfectly fine".... but the only option you have is to replace him or let him keep pitching and hope it works out.

I hope that makes sense

Last edited by chief915; 10-12-2016 at 07:00 PM.
chief915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #99
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

Only minor issue with the interface (at least I think this qualifies...maybe not) is where the messaging sits when downloading league files in an online league.

The huge expanse across the top of the page seems excessive. Any chance the download messaging could be right in the middle of the screen, much like a message (error or informational)?

If not part of the actual "interface", then please ignore.
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:20 AM   #100
StanfordBerkely
Minors (Single A)

1) Did you like the OOTP17 color scheme and use of team colors. If not, what could be improved?
This is something I found myself messing around with quite a bit. I noticed that all MLB team colors in the game are grabbed from the raw logo files used for each team in the game. In some cases, they're identical to the colors used on team websites. I browsed some team websites out of curiosity to see what they use, and funny enough, some team websites use identical colors to the ones in OOTP. I tested this out looking at the Indians and Cubs websites respectively and using inspect element. Most of them are fine, but some of the combinations are awkward. For example, the red color used for the Cardinals in the game (hex #C41E3A) clashes with the blue color (#000066). The blue is way too, well, blue. I always de-saturate colors for teams so they dont look as bright up against everything else. Also, why did the Reds have navy blue as their secondary color?

Additionally, some team logo files look pretty bad in my opinion. Again, the St. Louis Cardinals are probably the worst offender. The white outline on their primary is quite distorted. Teams that use roundels also have lower quality details. Also, why did the Nationals and A's have plain white primary logos? And, are we anti- Chief Wahoo here? I've never asked, but I assume the community is split? Either way, he's not in the game, but for the sake of historical accuracy, he should be.

2) How about the interface layout, is the upper area (info & navigation) easy to use and understand?
Easy to navigate. I got into a routine where I only used a few drop downs from each tab.

I haven't really noticed anything odd about the interface

I would love the ability to use my arrow keys and 'ENTER' key to navigate through each page.

5) Which skin did you use in OOTP 17? Would you like to see an alteration to our usual default / dark / classic skin themes?
By default, I use the light theme. I want to use the dark theme, but the colors just dont work on it. The blue font color up against the gray background isn't exactly eye candy. And the logos get washed out as well. Are colors able to edited within the games files somewhere? I browsed through and I thought I saw a readable file that had colors listed, but I wasn't able to save any edits. If the ability to edit all of the theme colors the same way that team colors are edited in game, I would love that so much.
StanfordBerkely is offline   Reply With Quote