Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

View Poll Results: Ichiro..HOFer?
Yes 84 90.32%
No 8 8.60%
I plead the 5th 3 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Ichiro..HOFer?

Is he or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny P. View Post
Try to rob me at gun point, I'll just kick your ass. No cops needed!
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Russ
All Star Starter

I have an unhealthy dislike for Ichiro, but I have to admit he belongs.

This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I have an unhealthy dislike for Ichiro, but I have to admit he belongs.
I hate the fact that he has Ichiro on the back of his jersey. But yes he belongs.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
His Own Bad Self
All Star Starter

Well... I don't know that he should, but he will, and I'm not really bothered by it. Using wins-above-replacement as the most important criterion, I have my doubts. But his counting stats are going to impress all the voters. Plus, I think a lot of people are going to connect him to Tony Gwynn, regarding the type of player he was, and say "If Gwynn, then..." I don't think Ichiro is quite as good as Gwynn was. Better fielder, but not as good a hitter. Are we giving him credit for his play in Japan? If so, it becomes a much easier decision.

I voted "Yes".
His Own Bad Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
bababui
Hall Of Famer

If I might add a non-scientific thought..he is an electrifying player. Exciting to watch and a 1 of a kind player. I also give him lots of credit for moving to a foreign country and producing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny P. View Post
Try to rob me at gun point, I'll just kick your ass. No cops needed!
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Barring some catastrophic drop off or injury, he is a lock IMO. Even with an injury I think his consistent superior performance would make it difficult to keep him out.

Should get his 2000th hit this year in his 9th season.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely. No question in my mind.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
His Own Bad Self
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui View Post
If I might add a non-scientific thought..he is an electrifying player. Exciting to watch and a 1 of a kind player. I also give him lots of credit for moving to a foreign country and producing.
Agreed.
His Own Bad Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #9
Jonzard
Hall Of Famer

This is a real nail biter.
For a scientist must indeed be freely imaginative and yet skeptical, creative and yet a critic. There is a sense in which he must be free, but another in which his thought must be very precisely regimented; there is poetry in science, but also a lot of bookkeeping. — Sir Peter B. Medawar
FTB
Jonzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
mrskippy
All Star Starter

Ichiro's numbers are absolutely amazing. What if he had started his career in the United States? Given his penchant for 200+ hit seasons, it is entirely possible for Ichiro to break past the 3,000 hit barrier. He certainly will be well past 2,000 and at the very least close to 3,000. He is going to end up with a career average well into the .300s (at .332 now). He has fairly solid SB numbers. His numbers are fitting of a HOFer.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
CMH
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to know why anyone would say no.

edit: ...Whose name isn't Skipaway and takes advantage of the multiple selection poll.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
mlyons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH View Post
I'd like to know why anyone would say no.

edit: ...Whose name isn't Skipaway and takes advantage of the multiple selection poll.
He's a corner outfielder with a career OPS+ of 118. That's not terribly impressive.

He's an exciting player, but in terms of what he's added to his team over the course of his career, I don't see how he's much better than JD Drew or Bobby Abreu, neither of whom get mentioned in many Hall of Fame discussions.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyons View Post
He's a corner outfielder with a career OPS+ of 118. That's not terribly impressive.

He's an exciting player, but in terms of what he's added to his team over the course of his career, I don't see how he's much better than JD Drew or Bobby Abreu, neither of whom get mentioned in many Hall of Fame discussions.
Contribution to team is one of 6 criteria. I don't know what weighting one would give to it vs the others. Baseball is very much a team sport requiring substantial contributions from many players. I'm not sure I'd like to penalize a player because he may have played on poor or mediocre teams. Looked at another way would you reduce your admiration for another players stats because they played for an offensive juggernaut like the Yankees

Quote:
Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
mlyons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Contribution to team is one of 6 criteria. I don't know what weighting one would give to it vs the others. Baseball is very much a team sport requiring substantial contributions from many players. I'm not sure I'd like to penalize a player because he may have played on poor or mediocre teams. Looked at another way would you reduce your admiration for another players stats because they played for an offensive juggernaut like the Yankees
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I think you might be misinterpreting what I mean by "added to his team". I'm not really talking about whether he (or anyone else) pushed a .500 team into a playoff team or anything like that, just using the phrase as shorthand for his overall value as a player (and, by extension, his playing ability).

I just think, in general, the flashy parts of Ichiro's game (the insanely high hit totals, the often spectacular glove and arm) mask the fact that he doesn't hit for any power and doesn't do a great job of getting on base (his career OBP is only 24th among active players). Like I said, I don't see how he's any more HoF-worthy than Abreu or Drew.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyons View Post

Exciting isn't nothing though. I don't know what fielding metrics you like, but whatever you do like I'm sure Ichiro blows away Drew and Abreu defensively. Then there's the SBs and BA also not taken into consideration in OPS+, which Abreu is fairly impressive at, but Ichiro still wins by a good margin. Yes, Drew and Abreu do have better OPS+, but frankly, they're kind of boring. I mean, you'd love to have all of them on your team (in their prime) because they're no doubt good players, but as a fan or ticketer seller you'd probably rather have Ichiro.

I also don't think you can just ignore his play in Japan and even if you discount it by some, he's a no-brainer when looking at his entire pro career. (I hope future managers learn from his first manager's likely mistake of keeping him in the minors for two years just because he didn't like his swing.)

The only way he's legitimately kept out is if he's a bad guy or a cheater. Being a bad guy / cheater may not have mattered much in the past, but it is covered in "Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played." and it seems to be holding back some otherwise good players now.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
mlyons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
I also don't think you can just ignore his play in Japan and even if you discount it by some, he's a no-brainer when looking at his entire pro career. (I hope future managers learn from his first manager's likely mistake of keeping him in the minors for two years just because he didn't like his swing.)
If I were ignoring his career in Japan, I wouldn't give him a second thought for the Hall of Fame -- his MLB career is way too short on its own. If anything, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by assuming he would have been as good in MLB from ages 22-26 as he was from 27-35.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

It's highly unlikely Ichiro is going to get in purely by the number of wins he brings to the team, unless he plays at a high level into his 40s. He does offer a lot of unique qualities that a relatively generic player like JD Drew couldn't bring though.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
mlyons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Exciting isn't nothing though. I don't know what fielding metrics you like, but whatever you do like I'm sure Ichiro blows away Drew and Abreu defensively. Then there's the SBs and BA also not taken into consideration in OPS+, which Abreu is fairly impressive at, but Ichiro still wins by a good margin.
A) BA is taken into consideration in OPS+. Twice, in fact (since it's the primary factor in both on-base percentage and slugging percentage).

2) Ichiro is definitely better than Abreu and Drew in baserunning and fielding. Enough so, I'd say, that it makes up for the huge difference at the plate. The thing is, though, being a Hall of Famer means being significantly better than Bobby Abreu or JD Drew, not simply as good, doesn't it? Is anyone seriously talking about putting them in?

I definitely see the argument that the entertainment value of Ichiro! and the fact that he was something of a pioneer for opening the door for Japanese players to play in MLB is possibly enough to push him into the Hall of Fame (although nobody's lobbying to put Chico Carrasquel into the Hall of Fame for doing the same thing for Venezuelans). In terms on on-the-field ability, though? I don't see it.

Last edited by mlyons; 07-15-2009 at 04:08 PM.
mlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #19
thehatfield
All Star Starter

It's the National Baseball Hall of Fame, isn't it? If so I don't think his Japan numbers should count.

Without the career stats he still fits that "intangible criteria" of having been one of the best hitters for an entire decade of baseball. I'm not sure how seriously the baseball writers treat that "decade of dominance" dealie, but I've seen/heard it mentioned by numerous writers in various places over the years.

I'm on the fence.

SBC - Western Suburbs Magpies

no pressure no problem

thehatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Strictly by the MLB numbers he is borderline. However there is really nothing in the voting criteria that says you have to go solely by the numbers. Considering how late he got a start in the majors coupled with the fact he's really been a breakthrough player as the first true Japanese superstar in MLB I think he is easily deserving.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
KurtBevacqua is offline   Reply With Quote