Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Database Tools

OOTP Mods - Database Tools Do you need to take a dump? SQL gurus welcome

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Win Shares and HOF Measurements

Finally got it working with OOTP9... no idea why it was such a pain this time around but I'm sure it was something I did.

Just emailed it over to Padresfan mod website.
Portal

Still created on Access97 but it transferred over to 2000 on my work machine fine. Should work just as well as the last one, let me know if there's any problems if/when it goes up on their site.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Thanks Tysok. My favorite Mod. If I have one going with 2007, can I copy the files over and continue? I am thinking not and that I will just need to run it again for all years.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmoore121 View Post
Thanks Tysok. My favorite Mod. If I have one going with 2007, can I copy the files over and continue? I am thinking not and that I will just need to run it again for all years.
There's a function in there to import the stuff from 2007.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Thank you sir. Is it available yet? I have been checking, but don't see it.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
PadresFan
All Star Starter

Posted!!!
PadresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wonder how much difference there would be in the final Win Shares if it was all rerun again... since it uses the park adjusted numbers in some occasions it would have to change it some (and it does save those park effects so you can see them later, it does use the real effects of the year when it figures them).

Maybe I'll rerun everything in my league as a test, just to see how it would change.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Hi Tysok,

I have tried importing my old DB and starting fresh and I am getting the same error. I am getting "not able to find fielding win shares". I haven't changed what I am doing, and I had no major problems in the previous versions. Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Tysok, works brilliantly in 09. Nice job again.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Tysok,

I have tried importing my old DB and starting fresh and I am getting the same error. I am getting "not able to find fielding win shares". I haven't changed what I am doing, and I had no major problems in the previous versions. Any ideas?
I dunno. I'll check up as soon as I can. Are you sure fielding stats are being kept in your 09 game?

I haven't imported my 2007 game over yet... so never actually tested it (the only change was the structure of the csv files, so didn't think anything else would cause a problem). I'll try to get it imported over tonight and test it out.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
tysok
Hall Of Famer

I dunno yet... got my league transferred over and just redid all the years with no problem. I'll try importing here in a sec.

Since I redid all the years I went in to see what the differences were between that and if you import. My career Win Shares leader should have 655.31 WS - 614.37 Hitting and 40.93 fielding. When I refigured it all from scratch (it of course can only use the park factor info from this latest season then) he has 634.89 total Win Shares - 592.24 hitting and 42.65 fielding. Totally rearranged the top 9, bumped the 12th place guy up to 9th, so on and so forth.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
tysok
Hall Of Famer

I can't get that error no matter what I do.

When do you see the error? When figuring Win Shares? Is it "Couldn't find output table 'Fielding Win Shares'."

That's the closest I got, and got it when I completely deleted the Fielding Win Shares table.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #12
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Hmm.

When I try to import from 2006 I get "Microsoft Access can not find object Fielding Win Shares".

When I try to start from scratch I get "Could not find output Fielding Win Shares".

My Fielding Win Shares worked fine in the last version.

Thanks for trying Tysok. I will keep messing with it.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #13
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

OK! I redownloaded and now it is working. Maybe I did something wrong when I started. Still had issues when converting, but I just redid the 24 years and it worked. Thank you! And with your automation of some things it took no time at all.

I am just learning Access and I really appreciate the ability to see the tables. I was messing with it and it is beyond my ability, but have you ever thought about adding the Bill James scoring system? The one with Top 3, best 5 year average, etc.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
szathkey
Minors (Double A)

Bad question

OK, maybe this is a dumb question, but I've downloaded it...now what do I do...I'm not seeing the help file
szathkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK! I redownloaded and now it is working. Maybe I did something wrong when I started. Still had issues when converting, but I just redid the 24 years and it worked. Thank you! And with your automation of some things it took no time at all.

I am just learning Access and I really appreciate the ability to see the tables. I was messing with it and it is beyond my ability, but have you ever thought about adding the Bill James scoring system? The one with Top 3, best 5 year average, etc.
I looked at adding something someone else suggested, but it was another big involved formula that didn't capture my imagination. To do something as big as that you have to really like the stat.

I don't know what it is you're talking about there though. Haven't heard of it.

Shouldn't have had any problems importing the old data. It worked perfectly for me... maybe some piece of code causes problems when it switches into a newer version of access though. Did you choose to import from 2007? There's 2 options on that screen, have to choose the right one of course.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by szathkey View Post
OK, maybe this is a dumb question, but I've downloaded it...now what do I do...I'm not seeing the help file
The "help" is an option on the main switchboard. Download it, unzip it, and open it up. You'll see "View the help file" as the last option on the list.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

I can understand that. It's a lot of work.

I do it manually. I like it to get a balance of career and peak WS numbers. I usually rank my players based on this.

Here it is

1) total win shares (career win shares/10 to the harmonic mean of 25)
2) average win shares in the top 3 seasons
3) average win shares of best 5 consecutive seasons
4) average win shares per 162 games (per 43 starts for pitchers)

Here is a link to the excert...
The New Bill James Historical ... - Google Book Search

Last edited by gbmoore121; 07-11-2008 at 09:44 PM.
gbmoore121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #18
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can understand that. It's a lot of work.

I do it manually. I like it to get a balance of career and peak WS numbers. I usually rank my players based on this.

Here it is

1) total win shares (career win shares/10 to the harmonic mean of 25)
2) average win shares in the top 3 seasons
3) average win shares of best 5 consecutive seasons
4) average win shares per 162 games (per 43 starts for pitchers)

Here is a link to the excert...
The New Bill James Historical ... - Google Book Search
Interesting. Had no idea what harmonic mean was so I looked it up... and I still have no idea.

Anyhow, I don't think I could do this. I think I'd have to be better with the code in order to find the 5 best consecutive seasons.
I seem to have more limitations than OOTPs financial settings. I tried to do something else and totally and miserably failed with it... I spent about 2 weeks tinkering and never got past step 1.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Well luckily your program does a great job of giving me the numbers I need to do it manually in excel. I appreciate you looking into it.

As far as harmonic mean, I don't fully know it either. What I see as the purpose is that it brings the numbers closer together. Probably makes his system look how he wants. It does take a little emphasis off of extreme longevity by using it.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:51 AM   #20
Craig Costello
Minors (Triple A)

Hi, I'm using Open Office Base to open the file and I don't get the option to look at the help file. (Of course this is my first time using this program, so I might be missing it somewhere).

Any chance you can make the help file available separately or point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Craig Costello is offline   Reply With Quote