Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Scravenger
Minors (Rookie Ball)

26 years, 0 exp as manager, and receive offer from MLB ?

I have started a 1901 historical season with Lahman 5.4 as a 26 year old Canadian Manager with no experience.

1901 : Receive a AA offer, several A offer, and lot of rookie season and Short A. That's perfect. I don't choose any of them just to look next year.

Every time a league finish his season, I receive some offer team of that league, even if I think i'm too young and inexperimented to receive offer from a AAA team, I continue... When the MLB league season stop, I receive 4 offer from teams of the American League...

My question ? How can some MLB teams prefer to sign an inexperimented 26 years old instead of a 55 years old with 17 experience years ? That's don't really realistic I think... I wish I have to pass some season in the minors, managing little league to proove that i'm good enough for the better leagues and then receive some offer...

Isn't that will be better ?

**sorry for my bad english, i'm from québec and don't use english a lot.
Scravenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
briantheiceberg
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (102)
I dont' think most people would play if you needed to have 30 years of experience in the minors before getting your first ML offer. Most people see this as a MLB style sim, not a sim where you try and come up from the minors and make it into the pros. In fact, I've NEVER managed a minor league team and can safely say that I never will.
briantheiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
edm
All Star Starter

True, it isn't realistic. But at the end of the day, ootp is still just a game. I doubt many people would want to be forced to go through a 15-20 years as a minor/other league manager, before they can manage a ML team.

Now, maybe some sort of option would be nice, for a future version of the game. I, for one, would enjoy going through that kind of process in one of my leagues, but to have it as the only option would get kind of tedious.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Scravenger
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah, it was only as a suggestion for an option like realistic manager career of something like that
Scravenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
briantheiceberg
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scravenger View Post
Yeah, it was only as a suggestion for an option like realistic manager career of something like that
I'm not saying it was a bad idea. Just that many people here probably wouldn't grab onto the idea. Strike that. I can only speak for myself and I woudln't grab onto the idea. Maybe someone else would - sounds like you have!
briantheiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
delta
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantheiceberg View Post
I'm not saying it was a bad idea. Just that many people here probably wouldn't grab onto the idea. Strike that. I can only speak for myself and I woudln't grab onto the idea. Maybe someone else would - sounds like you have!
Those people do know you can set yourself as the manager of any team as commissioner, right?

I also second a manager career style where you have to work your way up from lesser leagues to the Majors (FM style)
delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scravenger View Post
My question ? How can some MLB teams prefer to sign an inexperimented 26 years old instead of a 55 years old with 17 experience years ? That's don't really realistic I think...
It's not that unrealistic (See: Theo Epstein)

Quote:
I wish I have to pass some season in the minors, managing little league to proove that i'm good enough for the better leagues and then receive some offer...
Then why don't you just take one of the minor league jobs that was offered to you?

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Wink

I think it's because you're listed as a Canadian manager. Canadians are so nice that they're always in high demand. I doubt a Frenchman would get that kind of consideration.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote