Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:52 AM   #201
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Someday, the Minnesota Twins will beat the New York Yankees. But not today.

The Yankees played inspired ball tonight. Several key defensive plays and clutch pitching with Torres and Gregorius providing the offense.

The Twins must be wondering what hit them. I do not gloat. I only marvel at how good the Yankees look as a team. So far, that is.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #202
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I actually really like the Twins organization and at times I feel sorry for them as they are a proud and well run baseball team.
The problem with the Twins has always been the way they build their teams. Usually it is with 1 or 2 stars and a few retreads and mediocre pitchers.
This plays into the hands of a team like the Yankees. Who mostly always have really good offensive teams. This year the Twins and Yankees were very similar teams with a couple key differences. First, the Yankees have a superior bullpen. Second, the Twins mediocre starters played up to that level, while the Yanks starters played down.
I will not gloat because the Twins had a great season, and is 1 or 2 aces away from surpassing the Yankees.

On a side note, did anyone think the Yankees intentionally lost the league crown for best record in order to face the Twins? I say this because it potentially was a very smart move. If the Yankees had the best record, and the A's had beat the Rays in the wildcard game, then the Yanks would have to play the Athletics and we all saw out that played out in the regular season.

Last edited by knightdreamer2k; 10-08-2019 at 10:41 AM.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #203
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

How is it even possible the Yankees have beaten the Twins in 13 straight playoff games?

This clip is a great summation of what went wrong:

https://twitter.com/KPwatershed/stat...86548547407872

Last time I looked, the Yankees did not have Wee Willie Keeler on their roster.

The Twins seem like a good, young team, but...
Old 10-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #204
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Astros beat the Yankees in 5
monkeyman576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #205
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
???

A) Astros need to get past Tampa and aren't doing a good job of it right now.

B) the next series is seven games.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #206
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
I think you spell Rays wrong. I wouldn't hedge my bets on a do or die game though. It will be interesting who plays the Yankees.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #207
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
???

A) Astros need to get past Tampa and aren't doing a good job of it right now.

B) the next series is seven games.
It's possible to win a best of 7 series in 5 games.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #208
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

The Astros should be heavily favored against the Yankees providing they get past the Rays.
monkeyman576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #209
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Astros should be heavily favored against the Yankees providing they get past the Rays.
Statements like this have a habit of backfiring but: Yes, I'd rather face the Rays.

- Bru

Old 10-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #210
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
It's possible to win a best of 7 series in 5 games.
I thought it said 3-2.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #211
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Statements like this have a habit of backfiring but: Yes, I'd rather face the Rays.
Darn it to heck!

- Bru

Old 10-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #212
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

My gosh, but I seem to remember some talk way back when about trading Gleyber Torres for a starting pitcher. I am so grateful that never went down.

What is it about Tanaka? Talk about Jekyll and Hyde . . . If he stays as Jekyll for the postseason, the Yankees will be formidable indeed.

- Bru

Old 10-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #213
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

ESPN headline: ALCS revenge? Three ways the Yankees are better than they were in 2017

The three:

'The maturation of a core group'

'Having added DJ LeMahieu ... '

'The weapons they have in their bullpen'

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tter-were-2017

- Bru

Old 10-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #214
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

You had to figure that Verlander would win at least one game in the ALCS but hopefully not two because that is the type of dominance that wins league championship series. While he did not win last night, it was his game with 6 and 2/3 innings of solid work. Their bullpen didn't outpitch ours but theirs outlasted ours with J.A. Happ giving up the winning HR in the 11th. Not a win, but not a bad loss, either. I'll take coming away from Houston with a 1-1 record to start this series.

- Bru

Old 10-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #215
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm in a crappy mood anyway, made worse by them losing the third game to the 'stros, so take this with a grain of salt.

This Giancarlo Stanton dude is shaping up to be the

Yoenis Cespedes

of the New York Yankees. Stanton missed most of the season because he slid into third base. Not slid too hard; not slid into the third baseman; no, nothing like that. It was because he over-stretched himself sliding. He injured himself merely by sliding.

Apparently he doesn't do that very much. Or, more accurately, he doesn't train his body so that it won't tear anything when called upon to play baseball in ways other than swinging a bat. Even then, come to think of it.

Now the clown has a right quadriceps strain. Why? Because he ran too hard to first base. Are you kidding me?

Trade this bum if you can. We proved we didn't need him during the season. Away with him.

EDIT: Goddamnit, I'm not done. Forget about Dellin Betances and Greg Bird. Anybody out there reading this: Do you realize that Jacoby Ellsbury is still on the payroll? That he hasn't played since 2017 (and only 112 games that year)? That the ballclub still owes him over $26 million for 2020 and 2021 (technically $42 million but the team will certainly use their $5MM buyout option in 2021)?

You may say, "What do you care? It's not your money." No sir, that's incorrect. It is my money. Even if I never set foot in Yankee Stadium, I pay all year round for the privilege of viewing (or even not viewing; it's part of a package) the Yankees on TV for six months. I also paid for these guys for the two years that I subscribed to MLB.TV.

And as a fan, I damned well resent these leeches taking down huge amounts of money only to injure themselves because they cannot be bothered to do the work to prevent it. Or because they are such pansies that they'd rather sit at home "recuperating" than take the field with their teammates.

Like I said, get rid of these bums and watch who you sign in the future. Anybody who has ever injured himself merely sliding, running, crouching, swinging a bat, or throwing a ball (pitchers excepted but that's another caution) should not be signed to long term mega-contracts. It can be taken as a sign that they don't have the work ethic to be professional athletes.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-15-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #216
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I was wondering about Joe Girardi, what he was doing these days, and I ran across this article:

Girardi excited for 2nd shot at Olympic dreams - World Series-winning skipper will lead Team USA at qualifying tournament

This is a qualifying tournament for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo. If all goes well, he could be the manager of the U.S. team in those games and perhaps the 2021 World Baseball Classic.

He is working; he's with the MLB Network, which I don't get, hence my wondering.

Here's to Joe - I'm happy for him.
Apparently this was just a stopgap for him, something to do to pass the time or stay involved. Because the moment that it was convenient for him to drop this gig, he did so.

Mets managerial candidate Joe Girardi steps down from Team USA

-1 for Joe in my reputation scorecard. It's all cordial, but to me this looks like a case of yanking somebody around, pretending to be enthusiastic about an opportunity.

- Bru

Old 10-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #217
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

That's it for CC. So long my man, and thanks.

By the way, CC is not in the same boat as those other malingerers that I was talking about. Sure, he could have and should have lost weight and if he had done so, he probably would have been even higher on the charts than where he ended up.

Yet, I get a different feeling about him. The injuries that he suffered were not the silly things that other players get just by stretching. And when he was sidelined, he battled his way back to the mound as soon as possible.

- Bru

Old 10-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #218
Reed
All Star Starter

I am no Yankee fan but I certainly thought they would win the series or at least make it very interesting. Well, they still can turn it around but they have not shown me any fight yet. I will admit that I have only seen 2 of the games against the Astros so maybe I just missed it.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #219
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
I am no Yankee fan but I certainly thought they would win the series or at least make it very interesting. Well, they still can turn it around but they have not shown me any fight yet. I will admit that I have only seen 2 of the games against the Astros so maybe I just missed it.
Yeah, you missed Game 1. It's been downhill since then.

- Bru

Old 10-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #220
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

So the Yankees dodged the Verlander bullet last night. He was supposed to be the coup de grâce but it didn't happen. Now they must go back to Houston where they must sweep the final two games.

I'll share this because it was quite a dramatic turning point. Only a few feet of warning track determined that it would be a happy ending rather than a horrible faux pas:
Attached Images

- Bru