Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
AceRock86
Bat Boy

Free Agents Want Too Much

Alright, so I'm in my first offseason. It's Feb. 1st in the game. I've got this current set-up.

SuperStar Player: 17 Mil
Star: 11 MIL
Good: 7.5 Mil
Above Avg: 4.5 Mil
Average:2.5 Mil
Below Avg: 1.1 Mil
Fair: 1.25 Mil
Poor: 800k

For the most part, none of the top free agents have signed yet. The one that did was a 4.5 star CF and he signed a 7 year deal worth 37 million a season. The top closer (5 starts) wants 15 million a season. And I've got two 5 star Free Agent 3B that are looking for 27 million a season. 4.5 star LF wants 28 million.

I figured the demands had to come down, but now it's Feb. and they haven't come down much at all. Is there any way that I can fix this?
AceRock86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Toado
Minors (Double A)

I've noticed this same problem with my league... I have $18 million for superstar caliber and all the top free agents want between $25-30 million.
Toado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

Please tell me that that CF who signed for 37M a year the team was managed by a human not the AI? If it was the AI and your league finances are for the most part in line with MLB's then you may have a problem. I suspect not though, that he was signed by a human. Even so, maybe the team is making so much money though that they can easily make a team with a payroll 200M+.

I don't know this for a fact, but it's my impression the game pretty much only uses those guidelines to start the league and maybe for arbitration. Otherwise, if there's lots of money in the league to be had, they'll be shooting for the stars. Give it more time and they'll start to accept reasonable offers, offers that are more in line with what similar players have gotten in free agency.

I read complaints about this all the time in my online league and invariably the players will sooner or later start accepting less. That is, if the human GMs haven't already give them close to what they requested. Just try to hold off until the player will accept an offer that makes him worth it and try to realize that the teams signing players to contracts that aren't worth it are probably just hurting themselves in the long-run, especially if you have a cap.

If you want to try to fix it (if this helps it'd probably only help for next season), you could try decreasing your revenues, put in a cash max, maybe even a salary cap, etc.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
AceRock86
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Please tell me that that CF who signed for 37M a year the team was managed by a human not the AI? If it was the AI and your league finances are for the most part in line with MLB's then you may have a problem. I suspect not though, that he was signed by a human. Even so, maybe the team is making so much money though that they can easily make a team with a payroll 200M+.

I don't know this for a fact, but it's my impression the game pretty much only uses those guidelines to start the league and maybe for arbitration. Otherwise, if there's lots of money in the league to be had, they'll be shooting for the stars. Give it more time and they'll start to accept reasonable offers, offers that are more in line with what similar players have gotten in free agency.

I read complaints about this all the time in my online league and invariably the players will sooner or later start accepting less. That is, if the human GMs haven't already give them close to what they requested. Just try to hold off until the player will accept an offer that makes him worth it and try to realize that the teams signing players to contracts that aren't worth it are probably just hurting themselves in the long-run, especially if you have a cap.

If you want to try to fix it (if this helps it'd probably only help for next season), you could try decreasing your revenues, put in a cash max, maybe even a salary cap, etc.

Well, it wasn't a human team. It was a CPU team, but it was the Yankees with tons of budget to kill, but still. Maybe I'll have to try editing some of the finances. What is the more important thing to look at? Budget Room or the Final/Current Balance/

Last edited by AceRock86; 07-20-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRock86 View Post
Well, it wasn't a human team. It was a CPU team, but it was the Yankees with tons of budget to kill, but still.
The problem is basically that, if a club has lots of cash available, it'll try to use it to sign players. In other words, unlike real-world clubs, there is no profit-taking.

That's why there's the option to cap the amount of cash on hand an OOTP club can accumulate.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
AceRock86
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
The problem is basically that, if a club has lots of cash available, it'll try to use it to sign players. In other words, unlike real-world clubs, there is no profit-taking.

That's why there's the option to cap the amount of cash on hand an OOTP club can accumulate.

How can I cap the accumulated cash?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRock86 View Post
How can I cap the accumulated cash?
There's an option in there somewhere near those player salary figures you posted for "cash max".

If there's a lot of cash in the league players want their share of it, if the cash in the league is ridiculously high player demands will be ridiculously high.

Final balance is what matters there. You probably have a lot of cash laying around in the league, so you need to make teams make less money. Lower average media revenues, lower average ticket price, and/or lower average attendance.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
AceRock86
Bat Boy

Thanks a ton guys. Anyway, I currently have the cash max at 10,000,000. What should I change it to?