Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

The Amazing Careers of Bobby J. Smith and Jesus Dorado

Ever wondered what a FULLY MAXED player would look like? A player operating at 100% potential? What could he accomplish over his career?

Well, we're gonna find out.

In an amazing twist of fate, two transcendent once-in-a-generation prospects were discovered in 2019.

First, there was Bobby J. Smith. Discovered out of high school, scouts were awed by his sweeping movement, stellar command, and insane velocity. Runners are scared to death of him, and he could be a top-of-the-line fielder.

Then, scouts learned of Jesus Dorado. Found playing in the streets of the Dominican Republic when he was just 16, his speed and arm were tremendous, his contact was outstanding, and he had MASSIVE power.

And to top it off, they're both great teammates, true leaders, and don't give off any sign of greed. They also never seem to get tired or injured.

They're pretty raw now, but there's just SO MUCH potential in both of them. The sky is the limit.

Let's see what they do.

Last edited by Brennan; 04-20-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
stevem810
All Star Starter

Fictional threads are getting more interesting by the day. Good luck with the project!
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #3
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

BTW, settings are pretty much all set to default. I am unemployed, and will be remaining so throughout the simulation. Aging and dev. speeds are both 1. Commissioner mode is on (duh), and league evolution is also on.

Anyway, here is a first look at Bobby J. Smith (since he's going through the draft I had to create him first)

wells fargo number near me

I created him by creating a fictional starting pitcher "Legend" template and modifying it. I didn't mess with his current overall ratings or his batting potential, but I maxed out almost everything else. We'll see where he gets drafted.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Draft Day

Okay, Bobby was drafted #1 overall by the Orioles. Turns out even the Orioles aren't stupid enough to pass on him.

His bonus demand is $3,000,000 (that's the slot) and his signability is rated as Extremely Hard. We'll see if he ends up signing.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

It's July 2nd, and the international amateur signing period has opened. While there are many notable prospects available this year, one name towers over all the rest...

His initial demand is $3,800,000, but analysts suggest he could sign for much more than that.

Meanwhile, Bobby J. Smith remains unsigned by the Orioles, though there is hope that the two sides will agree on a contract before the August 3rd deadline.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Analysts are reporting that after just ONE full day of the international amateur signing period, a staggering TWENTY-EIGHT teams have made an offer to Jesus Dorado, each one hoping that he can be the piece they need to turn their franchise around.

The top offer stands at $2.28 million right now, though multiple teams have matched it.

When asked about the potential bidding war that could emerge, one anonymous GM said "I've never seen anything like it...everyone wants in on this kid. He's going to be very rich soon, that's for sure."

The baseball world waits while the back room hums and money is spent, every fanbase hoping against hope that the transcendent talent from the Dominican Republic will be donning their team's uniform in a few years.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

After a couple days of international free agency, sources in various clubhouses are confirming that the bidding on Jesus Dorado has reached the maximum $5 million, with dozens of teams still in on the bidding. It remains to be seen whether any team will be willing to go over the cap to acquire Dorado.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Rumors indicate that Jesus Dorado currently favors the offer from the St. Louis Cardinals, though many teams remain in the mix.

Dorado's agent and Cardinals GM Michael Girsch declined to comment.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

After the announcement over social media this morning, Cardinals fans were exuberant as their front office announced they had signed Dominican prodigy Jesus Dorado to a minor league contract with a signing bonus of $5,000,000.

GM Michael Girsch said "Jesus is a great player with a ton of potential and we are thrilled to have him in our organization."

Dorado said at the press conference "I'm grateful to the entire Cardinals organization which has treated me with nothing but respect since I got here...now I'm ready to hit the field and try my best."

One Cardinals fan told local news that he was "super psyched to see what this kid can do...I'll put down money he becomes a Hall of Famer."

Dorado has quickly risen to #1 on the OSA's list of top prospects, and he will certainly make an impact in the minor leagues soon.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. Was hoping that my M’s would spend the dough. Makes sense that the Cards would snag him - they have a solid scouting history and know how to develop prospects - Dorado’s future is bright indeed!
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #11
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

JULY 27- The Orioles confirmed today that they have signed #1 overall pick Bobby J. Smith to a minor league contract with a signing bonus of $3,300,000.

He will be assigned to the Delmarva Shorebirds of the South Atlantic League (A) and will make his minor league debut July 29th.

Smith said in an interview "This entire process has been so surreal...I'm just glad I get to play ball for such a great organization."

Smith is ranked #2 on the OSA's list of Top Prospects, behind only Jesus Dorado of St. Louis.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:27 AM   #12
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

JULY 29- Quite the crowd gathered in Delmarva to watch Bobby J. Smith, the #1 overall pick in the draft, make his professional debut against the Charleston Riverdogs.

Smith did not disappoint; however, the Shorebirds lost 3-2.

Smith went a full 5 innings, giving up 4 hits and 2 runs. He walked 1 and struck out 10. He threw 81 pitches.

After the game, Shorebirds manager Kyle Moore said "He definitely was nervous before the game...I told him to calm down and just do what he knew best. We didn't win tonight, but his talent is undeniable. I can see why the big club drafted him."
Old 04-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Well, I didn't expect that...

Looks like Bobby J. Smith's stay in Delmarva was brief and he is on track to be in the majors pretty soon.

(In retrospect, I probably set his original overall ratings a little too high, but whatever.)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #14
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
Well, I didn't expect that...

Looks like Bobby J. Smith's stay in Delmarva was brief and he is on track to be in the majors pretty soon.

(In retrospect, I probably set his original overall ratings a little too high, but whatever.)
I've definitely done this with a few of my created players (relatives of current players in my fictional universe). One in particular, who I didn't mean to turn into a superstar, I created so nearly fully developed to begin with that he pretty much skipped the minors altogether and has become one of the best players in the league.
Of course, your idea was to create monster good players anyway, so I guess no big deal right?

But yes, one of the things I learned early on in creating players was to make more of a gap between their overall ratings and their potential ratings or they would get too good too fast.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #15
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

It's September 1st, and the minor league season is over.

Bobby stayed in Frederick for the remainder of the year, going 2-1 with a 4.11 ERA over 6 starts. He walked 10 and struck out 32 in 30.2 IP. Not bad, but not a great stat line.

Meanwhile, Jesus remains in the Cardinals' international complex.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 AM   #16
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Look who got an invitation to spring training!

Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 PM   #17
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

FEB. 29- Bobby J. Smith made his spring training debut today against the Boston Red Sox.

Entering the game in the 5th inning, he proceeded to pitch four innings for the Orioles, giving up 1 hit and 1 run, walking 2 and striking out 6. The Orioles lost 4-2.

"It was an unreal experience" Smith said after the game. "I know it's just spring training, but getting the chance to put on an MLB uniform, stepping on that mound, and facing genuine MLB players...I can't ask for anything better."
Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 AM   #18
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Bobby ended up pitching in four more games in spring training.

3/8 vs TOR- faced one batter and got a groundball out.
3/12 at NYY- pitched 4 innings of relief, 3 hits, 1 run (a HR), 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
3/17 at KC- pitched 3.1 innings of relief, 3 hits, 1 run, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
3/22 at SEA- pitched 4 innings of relief, 1 hit, 0 runs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts

That is 15.2 innings at a 1.72 ERA, with a K/BB ratio of exactly 2.

He will start the season in AAA (Norfolk).

Last edited by Brennan; 04-26-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #19
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Called up!!!

APRIL 23- The Baltimore Orioles announced today that they have called up top prospect Bobby J. Smith to the major leagues, though he is expected to work mainly in the bullpen.

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said "Bobby's grown a lot, he's become a phenomenal pitcher, and he's such a joy to be around. Everyone in the organization thinks he can be a star, and hopefully he'll continue to develop in the majors."

Smith said "When I got the call, I was just at a loss for words...I try to be a hard worker and a good teammate...today I get to fulfill my childhood dream."

Smith was originally scheduled to start the year in AAA, but ended up in AA after the Orioles made their final roster cuts. He was 0-1 with a 6.32 ERA in three games, but it was a 6.1-inning 1-run 10-K performance on April 18th that convinced the Orioles that he was ready for the Show.

Last edited by Brennan; 04-27-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:11 PM   #20
Brennan
Minors (Triple A)

Bobby's log through May 1st:

April 23rd @ DET- made his debut in the 12th inning against the Tigers, and after getting 2 outs, he...gave up a walkoff HR. Ouch.

April 24th vs CLE- 2 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts. Orioles lost 8-3.

April 25th vs CLE- 1 inning, 3 up 3 down. Got his first hold. Orioles won 4-2.

April 28th vs TB- 1.2 innings, 3 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. Orioles lost 5-4 in 11 innings.

April 29th vs TB- 1 inning, 3 up 3 down. 2 strikeouts. Orioles lost 5-0.

April 30th vs TB- 1.1 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. Orioles lost 9-6.

So Bobby is 0-1 with 1 hold, with a 2.35 ERA, a 1.57 WHIP, and a K/BB of 10/4 through 7.2 innings pitched.

His rating as a reliever is up to 63, and his potential is still 80.