Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Hankyu Braves
All Star Reserve

League totals / modifiers

Apologies if this was answered already. I could'nt find an explanation to my problem. Reading the online manual didn't help either.

I have set up an 8-team league that I want to run from 1871 using a short schedule 42 games a year (later evolving to 56 games a year).
I'm going to use the "automatically adjust league strategy" and "import adjusted financial settings after each year" options because this league is semi-historical.

I've ruled out using the "automatically adjust league total modifiers" option because the stats are way off for I'm trying to do (mimicking 19th real life stats). Probably because the number of games is far too different. I've ended up with players hitting 18 home runs in 1873 (in 42 games!)

Therefore my question is:

Using 1871 league totals and modifiers as a starting point, is there a way to ensure that my league's stats will evolve more or less along the same line as the real life (19th century) stats?
In order to achieve this result, should I use the auto-calc modifier option at the start of each year?
Is there another option I should use?

When I change the number of games played league-wide (going to 56 games), the league totals don't seem to change. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help, any help. I'm really at a loss here.
Hankyu Braves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

I've always found the in-game autocalc stuff to be completely useless, and keep a spreadsheet that automatically generates the correct league total settings based on a.) the stats i'm aiming for b.) the actual simulated league totals from the previous season and c.) the league total settings used for the previous season.

Basically I use a locked figure for AB in my league totals, usually 100,000. Then each year I adjust the other values up or down based on what happened the previous year. Since these values have an inverse effect on the simulation engine, if there were, for example, 1% too many hits the previous year, I would raise the hits total in my league settings by 1% to offset this.

What's crazy is that after like 15 years of having to do this by hand, similar functionality has never been integrated into the game itself.

"I was very fortunate to have a pitching coach by the name of Tom House...Tom, I really miss those days that we spent in the weight room and out on the field working together."
-- Nolan Ryan's HoF Induction Speech

Last edited by Jason Moyer; 08-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Autocalc works well for some but not all stat outputs. Different strokes methinks.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Hankyu Braves
All Star Reserve

Ok. I guess I'll habe to simulate a 100 years of history with and without autocalc and see what the output is. And if it evolves more or less along the same path as the historical MLB as I don't want people hitting 50 homers in 1900.

Follow-up question: the fact that the league totals never evolve is not a problem?
I notice that they're different depending on the historical year chosen as a starting point when I set up the league. but from there they don't change when I simply use auto-calc.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Hankyu Braves
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Autocalc works well for some but not all stat outputs. Different strokes methinks.
Interesting. May I ask what makes you say that?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankyu Braves View Post
Interesting. May I ask what makes you say that?
It was a response to the post that it was useless. I have decades of seasons showing that not to be true at the mlb level. Auto calc is less useful at the low minors. There are certain outputs (GB% most critical) that auto calc gets wrong that need human intervention. I use a spreadsheet to help edit any issues.

The problem with auto calc is that you must use it before opening day and the AI does not set the 25 man roster and all the minor leagues until opening day. This means auto calc is simulating ST rosters. Despite that it does pretty well on the major outputs. Markus should put a "set roster day" up on the day before opening day that forces AI teams to set the 25 man and the minor league rosters. I suspect that would improve things.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote