Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #21
Charlie82
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
That's overstating it by quite a bit. The display issues only seem to affect special teams units, and don't change the actual effectiveness of your team's tactics. We'll fix it, but it's not going to affect anyone's W-L record to a significant degree if they play now.
The point is, that if it is unclear what roles best to choose, then it is going to affect your team's performance. In some cases it is not just a case of the wrong numbers, but is also only allowing me to select incorrect roles, i.e defenceman roles for forwards. And for my D pairings on the 3 on 4 kill, I can't select a role at all. Surely these things affect your tactics.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the time and updates you are putting into the game; I just want to make the point that a fix for this is quite urgent.
Charlie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

If the goalies spend some time in the minors to get starts and for conditioning and start to get hot...does that translate to the nhl when they get called back up? Or does the heat rating reset when they get called up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #23
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer2434 View Post
If the goalies spend some time in the minors to get starts and for conditioning and start to get hot...does that translate to the nhl when they get called back up? Or does the heat rating reset when they get called up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
They retain their current heat rating when they change teams. The only external thing that'll lower it by one is starting a new season phase (exhibition to regular, regular to playoff, etc.) or if the goalie plays in an international tournament. Otherwise, it only changes due to the goalie's play (or lack of playing time.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #24
Dantil
Bat Boy

I have two equal wings and they have the same ice-time, why the second one should have less rating? The previous tactical system was better in that matter.
Dantil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:01 AM   #25
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantil View Post
I have two equal wings and they have the same ice-time, why the second one should have less rating? The previous tactical system was better in that matter.
I'm not sure I understand the question. Which rating is lower, the tactical one?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #26
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

Hey, how do I do the update if i bought the game through the Apple app store? clicked the mac link in the post and it just asked me to enter a licence key or purchase the game... lost all my saves too :-(
tk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #27
Dantil
Bat Boy

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the question. Which rating is lower, the tactical one?
yes, the tactical. The same players can get 5 tactical points in first wing and only 4 in second, even if they have more ice-time.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #28
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk43 View Post
Hey, how do I do the update if i bought the game through the Apple app store? clicked the mac link in the post and it just asked me to enter a licence key or purchase the game... lost all my saves too :-(
Strange, it looks like version there hasn't updated; it should do that automatically. The Mac version in the first post is only the eSellerate one. I'll check and see what the delay is for the app store version. Your saves should be OK once it's updated properly, though (reinstalling it will likely work as well - an uninstall won't remove saves unless you tell it to.)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #29
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantil View Post
yes, the tactical. The same players can get 5 tactical points in first wing and only 4 in second, even if they have more ice-time.
Ah, I see. That's a limitation of the design; the highest-numbered lines are assumed to be the ones most important to the execution of your tactics.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #30
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Strange, it looks like version there hasn't updated; it should do that automatically. The Mac version in the first post is only the eSellerate one. I'll check and see what the delay is for the app store version. Your saves should be OK once it's updated properly, though (reinstalling it will likely work as well - an uninstall won't remove saves unless you tell it to.)
thanks!

Found the saves, crisis over
tk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #31
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk43 View Post
thanks!

Found the saves, crisis over
Ah, good. And it turns out we just got a rejection notice from Apple this morning (three days after submitting it), that's why it's not updated yet. Apparently it somehow violated one of their many rules, we'll need to make a change and resubmit it.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #32
hunter gathers
Bat Boy

Am I missing something very fundamental, here?

I cannot find the box to make human manager firings disabled. Nor can I seem to find out where to sim to various league events (before, I could sim to numerous league events such as the beginning of the playoffs, the draft, etc.).
hunter gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #33
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter gathers View Post
Am I missing something very fundamental, here?

I cannot find the box to make human manager firings disabled. Nor can I seem to find out where to sim to various league events (before, I could sim to numerous league events such as the beginning of the playoffs, the draft, etc.).
It sounds like you're starting in Path to Glory mode - the "can't be fired" option and "Autoplay to" are only available in sandbox mode games.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #34
joe-max
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Are you sure the update doesn't have any other effects?

Before the update I was the 2nd best team in the WHL, since the update I have won one game in 17 and I keep getting outshot by something between 15 and 30 shots every game. No relevant changes to tactics nor injuries. I'm getting desperate...

Btw, I found the old dot system regarding player roles better. It may have provided less information, but was easier to read and gave me the feeling that I had to think and decide myself. Now it is more just number juggling. It takes away from the immersion.
joe-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #35
Charlie82
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-max View Post

Before the update I was the 2nd best team in the WHL, since the update I have won one game in 17 and I keep getting outshot by something between 15 and 30 shots every game. No relevant changes to tactics nor injuries. I'm getting desperate...

Btw, I found the old dot system regarding player roles better. It may have provided less information, but was easier to read and gave me the feeling that I had to think and decide myself. Now it is more just number juggling. It takes away from the immersion.
I agree with that; it feels like I am doing a number puzzle rather than playing a hockey sim.
Higlighting the countering roles already offered too much assistance imo. Having to select these before the games doesn't really require any thinking and feels more like a chore. At least when the tactical scores weren't in view, you could play out in your mind whether adjusting a player to a countering role was worth it. All you do now is play the number puzzle.
Charlie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #36
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:

Nothing changed that would've directly affected performance, other than the hot/cold thing for goaltenders, and that's not going to have an effect on shots. If you fall into a bad losing streak, the morale problems can start to be self-reinforcing, so you may need to make some lineup changes to break out of that - call players up, make trades, sign new ones, etc.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:30 AM   #37
joe-max
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the advice. It's past deadline and the WHL, so there are limited options, but I'll try.

Now that the information on tacticals advantages is in numbers I realized that in most games the opponent has the upper hand in all four categories (off-def; pp-pk and so on), often by a wide margin.

Strength-wise I'm a middle of the pack team, so I found it surprising that I am so much weaker every game, no matter if I set lines and roles myself or let the AI do it.
Is it possible that other teams know me well enough that in games against me they always employ an offensive strategy that exploits my weaknesses? Should I change my general tactics occasionally even if I have perfect familiarity with one and none with others? Or is is more a matter of player quality?
joe-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #38
Dantil
Bat Boy

Quote:

I had the same after the update. Used to be 1st in the league and end up 7th in the conference. Eliminated in 1st round. Couple trades and I switched from puck control to strech D tactic and only by the end of the next season my team returned to the previous level.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #39
MXD
Minors (Double A)

I did notice something though : a player that would normally have good tactical ratings for a tactic set end up with a terrible rating due to not being familiarized with the role and the position.

More specifically : some PP tactics call for a forward playing one of the two D positions. But the forward isn't used to D-Men position, so he's terrible.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #40
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. It's past deadline and the WHL, so there are limited options, but I'll try.

Now that the information on tacticals advantages is in numbers I realized that in most games the opponent has the upper hand in all four categories (off-def; pp-pk and so on), often by a wide margin.

Strength-wise I'm a middle of the pack team, so I found it surprising that I am so much weaker every game, no matter if I set lines and roles myself or let the AI do it.
Is it possible that other teams know me well enough that in games against me they always employ an offensive strategy that exploits my weaknesses? Should I change my general tactics occasionally even if I have perfect familiarity with one and none with others? Or is is more a matter of player quality?
It won't change the tactic itself to match a specific team, since the tactics are more of a long-term setting, but may adjust the tactical roles when the game is underway if it needs to react to some specific circumstance (needing more offense, getting the tactical advantage back, etc.)

The AI teams do change tactics from time to time, but it won't be to directly counter you. Rather, it'll happen in response to events like a coach being fired or offseason lineup changes. So there'll be a general tendency for the AI to find more effective tactics for itself, which may lead to changing trends in the league as more teams use a specific type of tactic. That could get you into a situation where a tactic you'd been using isn't as effective anymore because other teams are doing something that counters it well, in which case it'd make sense to change. But that'd be a fairly long-term development.