Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
ToTheBackstop
Minors (Double A)

Does OOTP follow MLB rule 10.22a?

MLB Rule 10.22a allows for batters who do not have the required number of plate appearances to be eligible to win the batting title by unofficially charging the batter with enough hitless at-bats to qualify. This is sometimes referred to as the Tony Gwynn rule, in reference to 1996, where Gwynn batted .353 in 498 plate appearances -- 4 PAs short of the required 502. He was still awarded the NL batting title, since if you added an imaginary 0-for-4 to Gwynn's season (to get him to 502 PAs), his batting average would have been .349, which is still higher than Ellis Burks, who hit .344 to finish second.

My question is does OOTP follow MLB rule 10.22a, or does it strictly follow the '3.1 PA per team game' qualifying standard such that anyone who falls short is ineligible for the batting title, no matter what? Does anyone know? Please?

I'm in the final stretch run of my current season (162 games), and there's a player in my league who is on track to easily win the batting title. The thing is that he was injured for a good stretch in mid-season, such that there's a very real chance he might not reach the 502 plate appearances to formally qualify -- basically, if he plays all of the games left, he'll make it. (Probably.) My concern is that the AI may choose to sit him, or may pull him out for a defensive replacement, and he'll fall a few plate appearances short of 502.

If OOTP follows 10.22a, no problem -- he'll still win the batting title.

But if it doesn't -- I'd just hate to see him lose the batting title because he was a few plate appearances short of qualifying. I don't really want to do a commissioner override and force him into the lineup -- I want the teams to play out the season without my intervention -- but if OOTP doesn't follow 10.22a I might have to.

(From a baseball perspective, there's no real reason why the AI should ever be taking him out at this point. His team has been eliminated, so there's no real urgency for defensive replacements to protect a lead. He's under contract for next year, so it's not like the team will be on the hook for an extra pay hike if he wins the batting title. And he's extremely popular -- one of the biggest stars in the game. Benching him and having him fall short of the 502 PAs would more or less be just screwing him over for no reason, which would be scandalous.)
ToTheBackstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #2
RonP
Minors (Triple A)

10.22a

Its up to you.
RonP
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
ToTheBackstop
Minors (Double A)

Well, no, not really (unless there's a Game Settings option "Follow Rule 10.22a" that I can toggle on or off).
ToTheBackstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Is there any reason to believe that it doesn't? Pretty sure it does.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 03-18-2015 at 03:11 PM.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Is there any reason to believe that it doesn't? Pretty sure it does.
Well I'm inclined to think not. For it to work internally OOTP would continuously have to add AB to every batter not qualified and store that amended BA somewhere. It would then rearrange the league leaders on the standings screen and show a different BA from the leaders listing on player pages lineup pages and reports. I sympathize with the plight of the op but just don't think it happens right now. I'd be happy to be wrong.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheBackstop View Post
MLB Rule 10.22a allows for batters who do not have the required number of plate appearances to be eligible to win the batting title by unofficially charging the batter with enough hitless at-bats to qualify. This is sometimes referred to as the Tony Gwynn rule, in reference to 1996, where Gwynn batted .353 in 498 plate appearances -- 4 PAs short of the required 502. He was still awarded the NL batting title, since if you added an imaginary 0-for-4 to Gwynn's season (to get him to 502 PAs), his batting average would have been .349, which is still higher than Ellis Burks, who hit .344 to finish second.

My question is does OOTP follow MLB rule 10.22a, or does it strictly follow the '3.1 PA per team game' qualifying standard such that anyone who falls short is ineligible for the batting title, no matter what? Does anyone know? Please?

I'm in the final stretch run of my current season (162 games), and there's a player in my league who is on track to easily win the batting title. The thing is that he was injured for a good stretch in mid-season, such that there's a very real chance he might not reach the 502 plate appearances to formally qualify -- basically, if he plays all of the games left, he'll make it. (Probably.) My concern is that the AI may choose to sit him, or may pull him out for a defensive replacement, and he'll fall a few plate appearances short of 502.

If OOTP follows 10.22a, no problem -- he'll still win the batting title.

But if it doesn't -- I'd just hate to see him lose the batting title because he was a few plate appearances short of qualifying. I don't really want to do a commissioner override and force him into the lineup -- I want the teams to play out the season without my intervention -- but if OOTP doesn't follow 10.22a I might have to.

(From a baseball perspective, there's no real reason why the AI should ever be taking him out at this point. His team has been eliminated, so there's no real urgency for defensive replacements to protect a lead. He's under contract for next year, so it's not like the team will be on the hook for an extra pay hike if he wins the batting title. And he's extremely popular -- one of the biggest stars in the game. Benching him and having him fall short of the 502 PAs would more or less be just screwing him over for no reason, which would be scandalous.)
Most of the time I add games to the end of the regular season(teams still play 162 games) and I put the better players(from non-playoff teams) on teams to help them win a playoff spot so players get extra ABs and play past 162 games.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 03-18-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheBackstop View Post
Pretty sure it doesn't follow 10.22a. I had a guy in my dynasty league fall 12 PA short of qualifying for the batting title (he was hitting .391, with nobody else close, so if rule 10.22a were applied he would've won easy), and he didn't win it.

However, he still won the overall Batter of the Year award

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 03-18-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote