Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

Can I get OOTP 15 on my laptop?

Hello OOTP community!

So I have been looking at the forums a bit (not just now, but other times too), and I thought this would be a good place to ask this.

I got OOTP 14 on my laptop right around the January, but it had some issues. At first it seemed fine and I was enjoying the game, but then after a couple of days some disappointing things happened. By that I mean the game stopped working. If I started a new game it was fine, but it would only work for one "playing" (when I say playing I mean starting the game, playing, saving, and turning it off).

The first game or two I made it would go to the end of the season when I turned the game back on. By this I mean that I would make the game, play it, and then save it. I would then turn it off and call it a day. The next day I would load the game, but it would be the end of the season. It wouldn't jump forward because the date was still the same, it would just make whatever date it was on the end of the season.

The next few games I made would have their data "deleted" or replaced. Again, they would work the first time I played until I closed the game and turned my computer off. However, once I loaded the games again, the players/staff would all be replaced. Instead of all the data there should be there is just randomly generated players and staff. So basically it is like my games were replaced by a fictional league in a way.

The next few games after that would be the same. They would be fine the first playing but then the second would be bad. This time it wouldn't even load the games though. It would say there is some error or whatnot. I just gave up after this.

(I checked the Online Manuel but it was more about how to play, and the Knowledge Base was useless.)

I do want to say that I know OOTP is not a bad game. My dad and I played OOTP 10 (I think it was 10) on our house computer, and it was great. Easily one of my favorite games of all time, and definitely his (he especially likes to use the Big Red Machine since we are from Cincinnati and Reds fans). I have also played the past three iOS versions on my iPod, and they were good too. So I know the games are not bad, and in fact they're great. I could just wait for this game on the iOS too, but I really want it on my laptop. It is so much different on a computer, and it is honestly much better.

So I really just want to ask, this game is ok to get on my laptop correct? I just want to make sure that wasn't the issue. I plan to get OOTP 15, and I am hoping that it was just an issue with OOTP 14 and OOTP 15 will be fine. I love this game and I would really like to play, but I just want to be sure I can first.

I know this was probably a dumb question and I sound noobish, but I just want to know! Thank you in advance to anyone who answers, as I really appreciate your help!

Last edited by Aaron's Aron; 06-20-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Aaron's Aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I can say with some certainty that the issues you report are not normal and have not, to the best of my knowledge, been reported generally for either v14 or v15. I'd suggest you try again with v14 using one of the default QS leagues that come with the game and try to give us some more detail on the problem. If possible post some screen shots. I can assure you that given sufficient detail, the collective experience found on these forums should be able to figure things out in time. Please indicate your computer specs just in case there is some issue re available RAM or HDD space.

Can you confirm that you gave these leagues a unique name and exited the game properly as it saved the file? Your description sounds like what could happen if one were to force exit without saving. No accusation intended, just confirming.

By all means buy v15. Either way the game can and should work well as it does for the majority of customers. Fixing your v14 experience is a no risk proposition right now.

Oh BTW welcome to the forum.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-20-2014 at 09:56 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I have 2-3 versions on my laptop. It is just a low end HP, nothing special.

Your 14 problems do sound strange. I would delete 14 and reinstall or if you are get 15 and run into anything like that come to the forums and see if people can help with a fix.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

I'm playing 15 on a laptop right now; it's not as fast as it would be on my desktop, but it runs very well indeed on the whole.
Avindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
bazeall
Minors (Double A)

Playing on a laptop is no different from playing on a desktop. Check your hard drive. There could be HD issues corrupting the save files.
bazeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Always make sure that you close the game when you leave it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Yeah not sure what's going on there, I haven't heard of that type of problem before. I doubt this is an issue but does your laptop have enough memory? My best guess would be to unlicense and uninstall OOTP14 then reinstall the latest version to see if your problems persist (and if they do, try contacting Support). I've played many versions of OOTP on multiple laptops of varying power without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Always make sure that you close the game when you leave it.
This is also a good point. If you don't close it after you save it, there is a good chance your save will get corrupted if OOTP has to force-close (i.e. if OOTP crashes or your computer suddenly shuts down or something). Learned that the hard way.

Last edited by philliesphan26; 06-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

Thank you all for your answers. I'm glad that I can play it on my laptop and that isn't the issue. I am just going to but OOTP 15 and try it, and hopefully there are no issues. If there are I will definitely make sure to post about them here though.

As for OOTP 14... well I kinda messed up a while back... After trying a bunch of different things, I eventually just decided to uninstall the game and re-install it because I figured that might fix whatever the issue is. Well I did that, but I had to enter what the activation key/code thing was to actually play it. Apparently I forgot to save what it was (I swear I saved it though, I must have accidentally deleted it at some point), so I can't play OOTP 14 anymore. So I can't post screenshots or tell if re-installing worked because I can't play the game, as I said.

As for those of you that keep saying to make sure I closed the game, I did do that. I would save and then hit the "x" in the top right and save again. The game would then close. I did this every time, so unless I am missing something obvious I closed the game.

Also, I am pretty sure that space is not an issue. I have very little saved on my laptop, and as I am typing this it says "608 GB free of 682 GB."

And I was playing just a standard MLB quick game by the way. I didn't add any fancy files or whatnot that, so I don't think I messed anything up that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
This is also a good point. If you don't close it after you save it, there is a good chance your save will get corrupted if OOTP has to force-close (i.e. if OOTP crashes or your computer suddenly shuts down or something). Learned that the hard way.
I suppose this could be an issue. My laptop is stupid and shuts down if it is asleep for a short time, so this might have happened if I was planning on coming back in a bit and left the game open. However, I don't believed that ever occurred with OOTP 14 and I always turned it off. Also, even if I did, wouldn't it only affect that one save? These issues were happening with every new save I made, so that also leads me to believe that is not the issue.

Last edited by Aaron's Aron; 06-22-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As for OOTP 14... well I kinda messed up a while back... After trying a bunch of
different things, I eventually just decided to uninstall the game and re-install
it because I figured that might fix whatever the issue is. Well I did that, but
I had to enter what the activation key/code thing was to actually play it.
Apparently I forgot to save what it was (I swear I saved it though, I must have
accidentally deleted it at some point), so I can't play OOTP 14 anymore. So I
can't post screenshots or tell if re-installing worked because I can't play the
game, as I said.
Do you have the receipt email from your purchase? It should be in that email. If not you can get your key from OOTP Developments. Losing a key will not stop you from playing, you just have to get another copy of it.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Do you have the receipt email from your purchase? It should be in that email. If not you can get your key from OOTP Developments. Losing a key will not stop you from playing, you just have to get another copy of it.
Yeah... that is what I was saying. I accidentally deleted that email is what I believe because I no longer have it.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

Hey guys. I just thought I would post and let you all know that so far I am having no issues with OOTP 15 on my laptop. Thank you all for your help.