Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
blink
Minors (Triple A)

No money to sign FA

Hey guys, looking for some ideas to free up some cash so that I can sign some FA's. I have some money available to sign extensions but no money currently available to sign FA's. I'm currently in November 2020 in my franchise.

My owner just reduced my budget from 170M to 128M in the offseason. We finished last in attendance by a fair margin (due to high ticket prices but also lack of popular players on roster and poor results on field). This all contributed to this cut in money.

I have already implemented the following measures to try to cut my expenses.
- Trade high priced player salaries
- Reduced amount of money on scouting and player development budgets
- Reduced ticket pricing by 50%

The only other thing I can think of is to trade more players for prospects or cash straight up. I'm also thinking of just going through the FA period without signing anyone if it comes to that. However, my team needs some improvement on the field which is tough. We went 67-95 last year and my MLB roster is likely even worse this year so far as I had to trade some higher priced guys for prospects.

Any other methods that I haven't thought of that you guys have used with some success?

Last edited by blink; 03-16-2020 at 02:13 PM.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

You've pretty much done everything that I would have suggested. Only other minor thing I can think of that might help a little is to look for marginal MLB players in the FA market that you can sign to minor league deals. More should become available as you get closer to Spring Training. Also look to the waiver wire for MLB ready guys that you can claim. Last thing is to be aggressive in the Rule 5 draft if you see players there that can help your team.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Rome wasn't built in a day.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Who says you have to sign FAs?
Old 03-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
blink
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Who says you have to sign FAs?

Nobody does. Was just trying to get some money together to try to sign a couple of guys.

A couple of my guys I tried to get compensatory draft picks for but they ended up re-signing 1 year deals instead which took the money I had available for FA's out the window.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

This is where you might have to get creative

Does this look like a one year issue, or will like effect multiple years?

If it's multiple years, you may need to do something like the Red Sox did.

Package a player to don't really want to lose (Betts) with a player whose contact you'd like to be rid of (Price)

Or maybe it would even make sense to trade a guy with a bigger short-term contract for a guy with a lower but longer-term contact. Like the Dodgers did with Adrian Gonzales and Matt Kemp.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #7
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Nobody does. Was just trying to get some money together to try to sign a couple of guys.

Then you think you have to sign FAs which takes us back to the question you responded to.

Q Who says you have to sign FAs?
A You do.

So why do you think you have to sign FAs? Some things didn't go as you planned. A couple guys you expected to file accepted arbitration and the owner cut the budget. Those are big changes. Big enough that you should change your plan to sign FAs.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
blink
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is where you might have to get creative

Does this look like a one year issue, or will like effect multiple years?

If it's multiple years, you may need to do something like the Red Sox did.

Package a player to don't really want to lose (Betts) with a player whose contact you'd like to be rid of (Price)

Or maybe it would even make sense to trade a guy with a bigger short-term contract for a guy with a lower but longer-term contact. Like the Dodgers did with Adrian Gonzales and Matt Kemp.

Probably (hopefully) just a one year issue. I'm set up pretty well salary wise for beyond this upcoming year. Top 3 salaries all expire after 2021 season so even if owner cuts budget again, I won't have a whole lot of higher priced guys.

I spent the first year trying to build depth in my farm system. Looks like it's time to test that depth out and give some younger players a shot.