Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
kcroyalty29
Minors (Single A)

Few Questions

Take Two - I posted this in the "New to OOTP" forum but never got any responses. Hoping someone can help as I want to purchase this.

Thank you!! Posted again below.

Longtime Royals fan and season ticket holder here in KC. Can't wait to build the Royals to glory in OOTP21!

I've thought off and on about getting this game for YEARS but now with the Coronavirus, I finally am pushing my marbles all in and playing.

I haven't played a computer game since Tony LaRussa's Ultimate Baseball on floppy disc in like 1992, so please go gently with what might be some dumb questions. Appreciate answers from a few different longtime users if possible to accurately make the best decisions!

1. What the hell is Steam? Do I really need it? I plan on PROBABLY just playing offline against the Computer as both Manager and GM of the Royals. Doubt I join an online league this year but I might if there's no MLB season. I would probably just play on my laptop only but MIGHT want to play on my PC. I'm very basic and don't plan on buying other games, just this one. What would you advise me to do because I honestly have no idea what Steam is, what true benefits are and if I really need it?

2. If I play a minor league game live, do they have real stadiums?

3. I want to GM and manage the Royals. But I like the challenge of feeling like I have to perform or I'll get fired. Should I leave "get fired option" mode on? Is the game likely to fire me if I make slight progress?

4. If I'm REALLY good at GM'ing, how many years would it likely take for me to guide the 2020 Royals to the playoffs? is it even possible in a year or two?

5. Last, what advice would you give for someone who is obsessed with baseball, the minor league system, etc ( I can even name just about every player in Royals minor league system) as far as this game goes? What should I know? Best advice you could give a beginner (someone like me)?

I'll have more later probably and hope to make some friends on here!!!

Dave In KC
kcroyalty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalty29 View Post

5. Last, what advice would you give for someone who is obsessed with baseball, the minor league system, etc ( I can even name just about every player in Royals minor league system) as far as this game goes? What should I know? Best advice you could give a beginner (someone like me)?
Start playing

Have fun

You can also watch the tutorials on YouTube to get a feel for how the game works.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
84Hammy
All Star Reserve

1. Just direct download
2. Not sure
3. Turn off get fired at least until you get a feel for the game
4. It is possible to turn bad teams around quickly, but in my experience, it can't be done realistically--with a ton of trades, signing every decent player that goes through waivers, etc. Set yourself some ground rules, ie: 10 trades a year, 5-10 free agents, 2 waiver pickups...something like that...
5. Take your time with the minors, especially if you know them so well.Just because a guy has the up arrow doesn't mean he has to be moved up or called up to the bigs. Let stats guide you in this as well

Coronavirus is going to amp up my play time too, lol. Enjoy the isolation!
84Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

[QUOTE=kcroyalty29;4600073]Take Two - I posted this in the "New to OOTP" forum but never got any responses. Hoping someone can help as I want to purchase this.

Thank you!! Posted again below.

Longtime Royals fan and season ticket holder here in KC. Can't wait to build the Royals to glory in OOTP21!

I've thought off and on about getting this game for YEARS but now with the Coronavirus, I finally am pushing my marbles all in and playing.

I haven't played a computer game since Tony LaRussa's Ultimate Baseball on floppy disc in like 1992, so please go gently with what might be some dumb questions. Appreciate answers from a few different longtime users if possible to accurately make the best decisions!

1. What the hell is Steam? Do I really need it? I plan on PROBABLY just playing offline against the Computer as both Manager and GM of the Royals. Doubt I join an online league this year but I might if there's no MLB season. I would probably just play on my laptop only but MIGHT want to play on my PC. I'm very basic and don't plan on buying other games, just this one. What would you advise me to do because I honestly have no idea what Steam is, what true benefits are and if I really need it?

Steam is a gaming platform online that you sign into that you can buy games (some are free I believe, not sure on the quality, sometimes at a discount) and they are maintained there. Obviously there is a lot more to steam than that, if you are intrigued by this either google it or go to the website for better explanation. I would tell you more but you mentioned you wanted to play offline, and Steam is online.

2. If I play a minor league game live, do they have real stadiums?I

Minor league stadiums do not come with real stadiums. There are some GREAT modders that might have worked on this, I am not sure. Someone with knowledge of this should chime in.

3. I want to GM and manage the Royals. But I like the challenge of feeling like I have to perform or I'll get fired. Should I leave "get fired option" mode on? Is the game likely to fire me if I make slight progress?

In the game you have an owner, he makes some of the decisions concerning the team, one of which is whether or not to fire you. Owners have personalities which affect how they view and react to things. The following is from the manual (which I highly suggest you read).

Hiring/Firing Human Managers (also pertains to general managers)
Ownership is also responsible for hiring and firing human managers. Owners fire human managers based on a combination of factors, including the team's performance, the team's financial state, and the owner's personality. In general, if you are failing to meet the owner's Season Expectation, your job could be at risk, especially depending on your owner's personality. You can always check on your owner's attitude towards you by looking at the owner's Opinion on Performance.

Note: Note: You cannot get fired if you are in Commissioner Mode, or if you have the Cannot be Fired checkbox on the Manager Options screen checked.

I would suggest while you learn the ins an outs of the game itself, leave the cannot be fired box ticked. OOTP has a bit of a learning curve (you can learn the basics fairly quickly if you have a solid baseball knowledge background). It can be daunting to try to learn the game itself AND try to keep your job at the same time. Then when you feel comfortable, turn off the Cannot be Fired. The challenge of being able to be fired is the only way to play imho.

4. If I'm REALLY good at GM'ing, how many years would it likely take for me to guide the 2020 Royals to the playoffs? is it even possible in a year or two?

Unknown. There are so many factors that go into this game that I honestly cannot answer that. First, how long will it take you to learn the game? What settings will you have YOUR game on (you will see what I mean by that when you get into it)? What is your philosophy? Playstyle? What kind of owner do you have? Is he a ball breaker that is cheap or he the most lenient, nicest guy in the world 🌎 with deep pockets? How will your drafts go? Will any of them pan out? How bad will injuries hit you season to season? Be prepared, injuries WILL happen and DO happen. Are your personnel the right guys for the job? All these things and many more matter. You see there are SO many variables that your question is unanswerable.

#1 Have fun. This is an incredible game. It is also complex and can sometimes frustrate some people. Don't let that happen. If you have a question check the manual, then if your answer is not there search the forums here, then google it, if you have taken a few minutes to do up to these three things then feel free to hop onto the boards to ask away. You can always come to the forums to ask first. My point is that most times you can get your answer a lot quicker by the route I mentioned than bypassing it.

#2. Don't try to be perfect. To many times people have tried to perfect their leagues before playing then end up continually starting over and over and not really ever playing. Just jump in and start playing! Learn how to play. Then you can fiddle with all the levers and options and create your perfect world. Just don't get bogged down and forget to play the game.

#3. Play the game your way. This is an OOTP mantra that every player needs to learn and pass on. No matter what any of the rest of us tell you.
All the information we give you. Whatever might be frowned upon by the OOTP world, play the game how you want.

I'll have more later probably and hope to make some friends on here!!!

We will be here and you already have.

Dave In KC