Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
battists
Hall Of Famer

Strategy for Loading Bases

Soooo, in this modern day and age of sabremetrics and all of that, does one ever walk someone to load the bases?

If so, in what scenarios do you guys consider doing this?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

If there are runners on second and third and less than two outs, loading the bases sets up a force everywhere. You're ground ball away from a double play. As long as you aren't putting a potential tying or winning run on base there's no harm in putting a guy on first to load 'em to set up the force.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
If there are runners on second and third and less than two outs, loading the bases sets up a force everywhere. You're ground ball away from a double play. As long as you aren't putting a potential tying or winning run on base there's no harm in putting a guy on first to load 'em to set up the force.

Perfect, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
ThePretender
All Star Starter

I would put the go ahead run on if it meant I faced a significantly weaker hitter. Like if I'm facing the Angels and Trout is up, I'd IBB him even if he's the go ahead run because I know I'm way more likely to get the other hitter out.

But yes it's a situation where 2 runners on (any bases, not just second or third) to make force outs everywhere, and to face an inferior hitter. I also don't care how many outs there are. I'd be more concerned with who is hitting and who I'm avoiding giving a chance to drive in the runs.

Last edited by ThePretender; 09-02-2018 at 08:43 PM.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
I don't believe in that stuff of "don't put the tying or go-ahead run on base". If I'm ahead by two runs in the bottom 9th, tying runs in scoring position and two outs, and their monster slugger is at the plate, that guy gets walked as long as I can either get a weaker bat up, or can get a platoon advantage for my pitcher. I'm not trying to not lose, I'm trying to win.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I don't believe in that stuff of "don't put the tying or go-ahead run on base". If I'm ahead by two runs in the bottom 9th, tying runs in scoring position and two outs, and their monster slugger is at the plate, that guy gets walked as long as I can either get a weaker bat up, or can get a platoon advantage for my pitcher. I'm not trying to not lose, I'm trying to win.

I don't disagree. If it means skipping the team's best hitter to face the weakest, go ahead and put the tying or winning run on. Everything depends on the situation. All things being equal you don't put those runs on, but circumstances may mean it's the wiser choice.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:39 AM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Soooo, in this modern day and age of sabremetrics and all of that, does one ever walk someone to load the bases?

Modern day data collection confirms (edit what was already known) the strategic advantage of getting a force at any base. Baseball is about getting outs when on defense and not to get out when on offense.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 09-03-2018 at 09:12 AM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Not exactly the same question, but of some historical note, but players have also been intentionally walked to avoid allowing them to bat simply because the manager didn't want them to possibly get a hit. This has been done to stop a player from winning a homer or batting title (iirc, Cobb or Ott), and also more recently done to stop a player from breaking Oh's single season home run record.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Juggernt
Major Leagues

Barry Bonds was once walked with the bases loaded with two out in the ninth, the other team having a two-run lead.
Juggernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
dbqs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernt View Post
Barry Bonds was once walked with the bases loaded with two out in the ninth, the other team having a two-run lead.
Yup... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7IPZAcP78

Of course, both the Yankees and D-backs won the WS after firing him and now ol' Buck is now managing a 40-98 team, so feel free to question his strategy and if it works for you. Lolz
Old 09-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

best part of that video...the tv broadcast shows IBB leaders and in 2nd place is Mark McGwife
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqs View Post
Yup... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7IPZAcP78

Of course, both the Yankees and D-backs won the WS after firing him and now ol' Buck is now managing a 40-98 team, so feel free to question his strategy and if it works for you. Lolz
I think his strategy worked perfectly well in that situation...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
dbqs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I think his strategy worked perfectly well in that situation...
For sure, just taking cheap shots at Showalter.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:

Pitcher up next and they are unlikely to pull him. Heck, I've plunked two consecutive hitters, loading the bases, just to face the pitcher.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.

Last edited by texasmame; 09-04-2018 at 03:29 PM.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:

Tie game, bottom of the 15th, other team is out of position players on the bench, runners on 1st & 2nd with your standard "light hitting" #8 hitter up and a relief pitcher with less than 5 career MLB PA on deck. I think the play there is to walk the bases loaded even without the base open and pitch to the pitcher.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Tie game, bottom of the 15th, other team is out of position players on the bench, runners on 1st & 2nd with your standard "light hitting" #8 hitter up and a relief pitcher with less than 5 career MLB PA on deck. I think the play there is to walk the bases loaded even without the base open and pitch to the pitcher.
Yep, it all depends on the situation.

Another scenario for the offense: runners on first and third and your best hitter is up. The last thing you want to do is steal second to make it second and third even if the defense gives you the base and even if that means eliminating the force at second. The play is put the hitter on to load 'em and take your chances with the next guy. Stealing the base takes the bat out of your best hitter's hands.

This is the beauty of baseball. Every decision depends on the situation.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqs View Post
For sure, just taking cheap shots at Showalter.
An honorable pursuit.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #18
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I only walk players if their run doesn't matter
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:45 AM   #19
Orioles123
Minors (Single A)

Dont walk unless you are for sure okay with giving up a walk off.
Orioles123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #20
Tom the Fish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drstrangelove View Post
...also more recently done to stop a player from breaking Oh's single season home run record.
poor randy bass.

they couldn't stop this guy tho!

and
i
was
there!
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote