Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 PM   #1
ederemer
Minors (Single A)

League Settings - "Lock league total stats"

Looking through the Stats & AI section of League Settings and I've noticed that there is a new box you can click - "Lock league total stats (excludes modifiers & applies to affiliated leagues too)"

Is there any clarification on what this setting does versus the adjust league total modifiers and control in-game engine check boxes? What is meant by affiliated leagues in this instance?
ederemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ederemer View Post
Looking through the Stats & AI section of League Settings and I've noticed that there is a new box you can click - "Lock league total stats (excludes modifiers & applies to affiliated leagues too)"

Is there any clarification on what this setting does versus the adjust league total modifiers and control in-game engine check boxes? What is meant by affiliated leagues in this instance?
What it is supposed to do (I haven't tested it yet but others have) is lock your league stats output to one particular year, and then every year will be in and around those league wide totals. Why is this useful? If you don't like deadball, and you don't like bazookaball, but you like something in between, you can lock it to a season that's a bit more temperate shall we say. I use 1984, but obviously you can choose any year from 1871-2017, and lock it in and never have to fiddle with it again. And the LTMs are supposed to keep resetting to get close to (but obviously not completely due to statistical variance) the output for the year you choose. It's quite a cool little tool actually. Thank you Markus!
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
ederemer
Minors (Single A)

So I'm assuming then if you lock the league totals you wouldn't have to go through and hit auto-calc on opening day?
ederemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I'm assuming then if you lock the league totals you wouldn't have to go through and hit auto-calc on opening day?
That's the idea, but like I said I haven't taken it for a spin yet. The idea is that the LTMs take over every year and try to model the stats output of the year you've selected.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Auto-calc on opening day? What is that all about?
I must be doing it wrong!
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #6
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now that I think about it you probably want to hit auto-calc the day before opening day of your inaugural season. Then lock the league totals and leave auto adjust LTMs checked. That way the LTMs will keep shooting for that particular stats output. Once you've done that though you won't have to keep auto-calcing every year.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:10 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Now that I think about it you probably want to hit auto-calc the day before opening day of your inaugural season. Then lock the league totals and leave auto adjust LTMs checked. That way the LTMs will keep shooting for that particular stats output. Once you've done that though you won't have to keep auto-calcing every year.
Yes, this is how it's supposed to work
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
There you go ederemer. Confirmation from the man himself.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
That is so COOL !! Cause that is exactly how I play - random debut, one particular season as historical year every year. But I like to start in say 1901, even if playing with the stats of say 1976 or 1986, because I dont want to start in the 1980s and after 30 years find myself in the future. Historical baseball in the future creates cognitive dissonance in me.

So thank you Marcus and Lukas for this new feature. It is growing on me, OOTP 19. Took me a full day to decide I like it better than previous versions, But I am now convinced. After playing much of yesterday and today in between - ahem (!) - work, um, I am now ready to start my first random debut league with the new version.

By the way, will we merely need to download updates if we are playing the Beta version, or will we have to download it all over again in a few days when the real thing comes out?

Again, thanks and thanks actionjackson for clarifying this point, Marcus
for confirming it, and Lukas for the excellent video on Youtube explaining the new features.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
That is so COOL !! Cause that is exactly how I play - random debut, one particular season as historical year every year. But I like to start in say 1901, even if playing with the stats of say 1976 or 1986, because I dont want to start in the 1980s and after 30 years find myself in the future. Historical baseball in the future creates cognitive dissonance in me.

So thank you Marcus and Lukas for this new feature. It is growing on me, OOTP 19. Took me a full day to decide I like it better than previous versions, But I am now convinced. After playing much of yesterday and today in between - ahem (!) - work, um, I am now ready to start my first random debut league with the new version.

By the way, will we merely need to download updates if we are playing the Beta version, or will we have to download it all over again in a few days when the real thing comes out?

Again, thanks and thanks actionjackson for clarifying this point, Marcus
for confirming it, and Lukas for the excellent video on Youtube explaining the new features.
There are usually quite a few patches early in the development cycle of each version, and then fewer as the version of the game moves through the development cycle. Just be aware of that, and don't get too attached to your games early on. Once Markus starts talking about going on vacation/goes on vacation, that's usually a signal that things are steadying off and you can probably start to lose yourself in a dynasty.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:14 AM   #11
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unfortunately, I just experimented with it and it didn't quite fully work as I had hoped. It worked beautifully for Hits, Doubles, Triples, Home Runs, BB, HBP, K and BABIP. Not so much with the settings below that. How do I know this? I tried locking league totals to 1984, and starting my game in 1901. Like I said those first 8 categories were fab. Pre-season predictions for batting and pitching leaders looked amazing.

However beginning with Starting Pitcher Stamina and all modifiers that reset below that, it became quite apparent that they were following 1901. Things like sac bunts were way high, and errors were extreme. I picked up on this when I looked at the pre-season predictions, and noticed a MASSIVE gap between team pitching Run Averages and Earned Run Averages. That's when I knew something was up, so I went back to the Stats & AI page and sure enough things did not look kosher outside of the eight categories that I mentioned.

It kept trying to make SP go deep, and I don't want that. I want default settings on hook, and it kept trying to pump them up. I turned off auto adjust strategy settings for a reason. If I'm playing a random debut with relievers, I want them to pitch more than a couple of innings a year. They won't with 1901 strategy settings, so I set them to 1984 and unchecked the auto-adjust boxes.

This feature is in its infancy though, so there will probably be bugs. I also understand that there is no way in hell that a fix can make it into today's official release. That would be pie in the sky. All I ask is that you take a look at it when everything's calmed down a bit, and test it the way I did. I input 1984 into the Select Year the day before Opening Day. Those modifiers looked great. Then when it went to do the pre-season predictions, that's when the separation happened. The eight categories stayed on reasonable 1984 modifiers, but the others seemed to go 1901. Would you like me to report in bug reports? I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I did something wrong because this feature is so new.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-22-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

well, it locks the totals, but doesn't do anythign for the other settings?

after you click it the first time and have it setup for a year.. change historical year to > 2018 -- assuming that's still there from ootp'18

that should prevent the dropdowns from changing after that year.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #13
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
well, it locks the totals, but doesn't do anythign for the other settings?

after you click it the first time and have it setup for a year.. change historical year to > 2018 -- assuming that's still there from ootp'18

that should prevent the dropdowns from changing after that year.
It's locking the eight totals that are provided to 1984 (Hits, Doubles, Triples, Home Runs, BB, HBP, K, BABIP), and doing a bang-up job on that. BUT the modifiers for Starting Pitcher Stamina, Relief Pitcher Stamina, Groundball Percentage, Wild Pitches, Balks, Passed Balls, Sac Flies, Sac Bunts, Stolen Base Attempts, Stolen Base Success, Fielding Ground Double-Plays, Fielding Line Drive Double-Plays, Outfield Assists, and especially Errors are looking more like they're staying in 1901. I should be seeing everything at 1984 levels if the feature was working properly. The .944 FPct I just saw (1901 FPct: .943, 1984 FPct: .978) tells me that everything outside of the eight totals mentioned is lined up with what happened in 1901. That's not what this new feature was designed to do.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 AM   #14
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Found the workaround. Uncheck both lock league totals and auto-adjust LTMs for accuracy. The day before Opening Day put whatever year you want your stats to imitate into the Totals from year box on the Stats & AI page and off you go. Works great. Was getting .950ish FPct (early 20th century type numbers), when I wanted 1984 numbers (.978) and this fix worked. Was also getting a huge amount of stolen base attempts with a 55% success rate (early 20th century type stuff), then got 67ish% success rate (very 1984ish) with about half as many stolen base attempts. Yes!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
koohead
Hall Of Famer

could someone clarify this feature for me? when I read about it pre-release, it seemed to be targeted for historical sims. Is there value for fictional (post 2018) worlds? In other words, was the engine doing something different with league totals when the year was 2030 compared to what I entered in 2020?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
could someone clarify this feature for me? when I read about it pre-release, it seemed to be targeted for historical sims. Is there value for fictional (post 2018) worlds? In other words, was the engine doing something different with league totals when the year was 2030 compared to what I entered in 2020?
I think you can use it for fictional, but as I've never played fictional I can't be too sure. If you do use it, I recommend you do it the way I did it, or try the other way and compare the results and take the one that suits you best.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
BKL
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Found the workaround. Uncheck both lock league totals and auto-adjust LTMs for accuracy. The day before Opening Day put whatever year you want your stats to imitate into the Totals from year box on the Stats & AI page and off you go. Works great. Was getting .950ish FPct (early 20th century type numbers), when I wanted 1984 numbers (.978) and this fix worked. Was also getting a huge amount of stolen base attempts with a 55% success rate (early 20th century type stuff), then got 67ish% success rate (very 1984ish) with about half as many stolen base attempts. Yes!!!
So if you have to do this each day before opening day, doesn't that defeat the purpose of this new feature? Wasn't the idea of this check box so you don't have to do anything on opening day or the day before? If you need to re-enter or recalc, then nothing is different from the earlier versions. I'm confused.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #18
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
So if you have to do this each day before opening day, doesn't that defeat the purpose of this new feature? Wasn't the idea of this check box so you don't have to do anything on opening day or the day before? If you need to re-enter or recalc, then nothing is different from the earlier versions. I'm confused.
me too. some clarification would be helpful
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
This is only if you are playing in one year (like 1901), but wish to lock your totals to another year (like 1984). If you're progressing normally through history, you just allow the game to auto-adjust the LTMs as it moves through history and away you go.

As I said before the new feature does not work as advertised if you wish to lock your totals to one specific year for every season. There is a workaround for it though, which I've outlined here.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #20
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Bumping this up - Anyone know if this was ever fixed during the various patches that came out?
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote