Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
hfield007
All Star Starter

Stat Accuracy

I hope this will be handled better than FOF.

One problem I constantly ran into was the rushing record being broke a hundred times over and watching runningbacks consistently rack up 1800 yard seasons for ten years.

I am hoping in BTS that runningbacks will age differently from the other positions giving us realistic results like one year wonder RBs and the very rare ten year workhorse. I am also hoping that just like in OOTP that potentials can fluctuate year to year.

But mostly hoping that each position ages differently just like in RL.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Just like in OOTP, we'll definitely make sure stats are very accurate and player development behaves properly so that stats are still accurate 100 years down the road. This is one of the top priorities for the game
Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Kobeck
Major Leagues

Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Qrashman
All Star Reserve

This company was built off ootp, a baseball game in a community where statistical accuracy means everything. I think they'll get this part right.
HBL Waiting List
Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
deanver
Bat Boy

Agreed 100% I LOVE stats.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I think there are two different things tied up in the question we have to look at:

1)Are Stats accurate
2)How is the player progression/regression.

Getting the stats accurate is the main focus of the 2D Engine, but it is also the toughest to do. The avg Yd per Rush last season was a tad over 4.0
Now if the user simply chooses to run all the time, they will find that their average will be far less than 4.0 (as defences know they will run all the time).
So we have to strike the balance between getting accurate stats, but at the same time making sure the AI reacts to the opposition correctly.

Secondly, player progression; This is something the health map was designed for! The fatigue on the knees of a a RB who gets 1800+ for 10 years will be extreme. I doubt he'd even get to 10 years with that kind of wear. Player injuries will play a crucial role.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 01-31-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
bigtrouble77
Minors (Double A)

FOF7 was such a massive letdown. The news of BTS really makes that disappointment easier to take.

There are aspects of FOF that I absolutely love (stats being one of them), but the latest release really failed to capitalize on (fixing) all of the things that makes that game mediocre.

Stats are the last thing I'd criticize with that game. Jim seems to build that game for himself and only himself. It's very evident that he refuses to fix critical use ability issues simply because he doesn't care. He doesn't even have a support email published.

Anyway, looking forward to this BTS.

Last edited by bigtrouble77; 01-31-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
bigtrouble77
Minors (Double A)

Most sports have trends (usually based on rule changes), but I've never seen a sports sim support something like that. That would be a really interesting dynamic component to have... possibly have the ability to vote yearly on minor rule changes that could create interesting trends. Perhaps have the AI actively try to optimize for these types of changes.

I'd love to have a dynamic component like that rather than obsessing over whether the current stats perfectly reflect what the NFL is producing this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
I think there are two different things tied up in the question we have to look at:

1)Are Stats accurate
2)How is the player progression/regression.

Getting the stats accurate is the main focus of the 2D Engine, but it is also the toughest to do. The avg Yd per Rush last season was a tad over 4.0
Now if the user simply chooses to run all the time, they will find that their average will be far less than 4.0 (as defences know they will run all the time).
So we have to strike the balance between getting accurate stats, but at the same time making sure the AI reacts to the opposition correctly.

Secondly, player progression; This is something the health map was designed for! The fatigue on the knees of a a RB who gets 1800+ for 10 years will be extreme. I doubt he'd even get to 10 years with that kind of ware. Player injuries will play a crucial role.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Michael V.
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrashman View Post
This company was built off ootp, a baseball game in a community where statistical accuracy means everything. I think they'll get this part right.
Agreed.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

I have major concerns about the ability to do a statistically accurate 2D sim engine for football. Typically such an endeavor creates far too many "max-length" plays, resulting in shorter-gain plays having to be toned down to make averages come out right. Be careful about that.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
I have major concerns about the ability to do a statistically accurate 2D sim engine for football. Typically such an endeavor creates far too many "max-length" plays, resulting in shorter-gain plays having to be toned down to make averages come out right. Be careful about that.
Francis has plenty of time to fine-tune his engine. I'm sure the results will be very good.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
The good news is that the engine is already year+ in the works.

I've actually found the problem to be the opposite!!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
adaher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Football is HARD to do right and I don't think anyone has yet come close, at least compared to the accuracy of baseball sims.

Plus there's SO much variation in player performance depending on the performance of his teammates, unlike baseball where individual performance is fairly easy to figure out. Put Babe Ruth in his prime on the Chicago Cubs and he's still the best player in the game.

But take Mark Rypien away from the Washington Redskins and he's an average QB at best. Likewise, you've got those Denver running backs where for years anyone could rush for over 1000 yards. Would Terrell Davis do as well on the Miami Dolphins?

It's probably less of an issue if you're using fictional players, or keeping players on their historical teams, but doing a historical-league type thing where players can go anywhere is going to be devlishly hard to get right. I salute you guys for trying.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Football is HARD to do right and I don't think anyone has yet come close, at least compared to the accuracy of baseball sims.

Plus there's SO much variation in player performance depending on the performance of his teammates, unlike baseball where individual performance is fairly easy to figure out. Put Babe Ruth in his prime on the Chicago Cubs and he's still the best player in the game.

But take Mark Rypien away from the Washington Redskins and he's an average QB at best. Likewise, you've got those Denver running backs where for years anyone could rush for over 1000 yards. Would Terrell Davis do as well on the Miami Dolphins?

It's probably less of an issue if you're using fictional players, or keeping players on their historical teams, but doing a historical-league type thing where players can go anywhere is going to be devlishly hard to get right. I salute you guys for trying.
For this reason I hope they find some way to make coaches extremely important without just giving away all the coaches ratings very easily. Some sort of hybrid with ratings and schemes and other hidden ratings possibly? Coaching is such an important part of football compared to baseball, but I know that this is a challenge Francis is up for
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
Alaina
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post

I think this would make it important to coach every game, and even hold practices and test out things, seeing what situations would go best with your roster.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #16
Kobeck
Major Leagues

football is multi variable for sure

teams try and acquire guys that fit their system, well the good ones do - lol

as a for instance I am a Titan fan and they drafted 5-10 185 pound 4.24 Chris Johnson who by anyones defination is a scatback. But the Titans have just plugged him in as starter in their traditional power run scheme.
Although there has been some success statwise the Ws have not followed.

The Titans should have altered their O to take true advantage of CJs unique talents or else drafted someone else with that pick IMO

not sure how the AI should handle that
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Plus how do you rate a offensive guard from 1935? The 72 dolphins line was great but they werent as good before they came together in miami.
I just hope we dont see a qb passing for 55 tds in the 1960s. Dont think the ghost of Vince Lombardi would like it. Dont worry about pleasing the community just dont tick off the ghost of Vince Lombardi.
Actually i wish Francis all the luck and i hope we as a community will remember to have a little patience.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 AM   #18
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Thank you BaseballMan
Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
packersfan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have no doubt that this game will have great stat accuracy and the ability to fine-tune it to reflect game-style changes. One problem with Madden besides trying to play ACCURATE and CHALLENGING GM style is that the stats system can not be tweaked to reflect gameplay changes. For example, in Madden 2012 most QBs don't surpass 4000 yards passing...obviously this doesn't really match real-life stats a few years later, not to mention RBs rushing for TOO many yards. Looking forward to a full-football game (with the exception of seeing the guys hitting each other).
Old 02-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #20
Jose Cardenal's Afro
Major Leagues

Smashed in between the cure for cancer and world peace was my wish for this game......