Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #241
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Deleted stupid comment. See post #248.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 05-19-2012 at 11:35 AM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #242
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I like the improved UI and the improved pitcher generation in 13. The rest of the new stuff not so much. But this is the best version ever.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #243
SkyeWalker
Minors (Triple A)

Can't deny that this is the best edition ever. Although the default quickstart settings could be better since I consistently have issues with pitcher and batter aging speeds without editing the options myself.
SkyeWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #244
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
But, you know, I'm looking at OOTP12 again versus the announced enticements of 13:

2012 Major League Rosters - don't care; don't play that way.
Real-Time Simulation Mode - don't care; don't play that way.
Interactive Storylines - sounded very interesting but need development; cannot play with them enabled right now.
League Associations and Expanded Playoff Modes - don't care; don't play that way.
Redesigned Interface - OK, but in OOTP12 I didn't have to swap fonts and use the dark skin to save my eyesight.
Improved Online League Play - don't care; don't play that way.
Core Engine Improvements - aside from "Improved pitcher creation & development" which I did notice and will miss, they say the same stuff every year.

So, why did I upgrade? Why am I beating my head on a wall with 13 when I was enjoying the heck out of 12?
Well, you did leave a lot of things off your list. The improved Trade AI alone makes v13 a far sight better than v12.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #245
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I like the improved UI and the improved pitcher generation in 13. The rest of the new stuff not so much. But this is the best version ever.
Yep. I'm the same way Wolfie. I haven't even used the new features even though they are nice to have. Bells and whistles are nice but I just want what's under the hood (XML files, offseason center,) to be fixed. I'm kinda glad now that I did not delete OOTP12 off my laptop.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #246
ndcolts1979
Bat Boy

I really love ootp13. The only thing i would love to see is allowing human managers to make trades without being commish. Yet make it to where the commish has to veto or allow the trade. Other than that it really is amazing.
ndcolts1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #247
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Suggestion

OOTP should implement some sort of option where you can choose a rival team which may bring higher attendance to that series. Maybe even some sort of storyline to go along with that...
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #248
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I just wanted to say that I overreacted a few days ago on the Storylines issue. I guess I was disappointed in the performance of the one feature that I was really looking forward to in this version.

But Wolf is right in that "Yep, Storylines are off until further notice" thead. Just turn Storylines off if you find them obtrusive (and soap-operish, to quote another member) until there has been enough work on them done to suit the more serious players of OOTPB. I hope Wolf's a bit off on his time estimate, though; not several years but maybe by next version.

We, meaning I, have to keep in mind the special nature of OOTPB; it's not, nor has it ever been, perfect out of the box. Nor is each version perfect after its final patch. It's been a long development curve to get the game to the state that it's in now, which is pretty darned good. There will continue to be stones in the road, and our participation and feedback helps it get better and better.

Which makes snits like mine the other night just plain inappropriate and I apologize to the developers and the community.

You know something? I took a look at OOTP 12 to see if I wanted to go retrograde and, despite the faults that I listed in this OOTP 13 Impressions thread (posts #239 and 240), I found that I did not want to go back. Which prompted me to return here and make this post.

So did a message from one of you, whom I thank very much.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 05-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #249
Groucho Marx
Minors (Double A)

I'm not very good at impressions.

Seriously. I only played OOTP12 and that was just for a little bit.

So, I'm really sort of new to this. I love it so far, though.
"I am opposing a social order in which it is possible for one man who does absolutely nothing that is useful to amass a fortune of hundreds of millions of dollars, while millions of men and women who work all the days of their lives secure barely enough for a wretched existence."
- Eugene V. Debs -

"If you've ever said this sentence, "I like him because he's a straight talker", you're as dumb as sh1t"
- Jim Jefferies, on Trump supporters -
Groucho Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #250
coljesep
All Star Reserve

So I have to admit 1 thing. I was totally wrong about OOTP13.

I was so mad at the way OOTP12 was released. I think it was rushed, and almost ruined a lot of online leagues in the process.

I swore I wouldn't buy 13 until I saw some quality patch work and good reviews from users here.

Since 2002, I have run an online league using Front Page Sports Baseball, which had its final version released in 1998.

This year, life got in the way a bit and simming for over an hour became one of the many reasons I am closing the league after 10 real years.

However, because of OOTP 13, I've started a new league with 90% of the same owners from my old league... and over half of them have never used OOTP13.

That's how much I believe in this game right now. I think you guys did a great job, and this reminds me of the days of 6.5 or 10 being released.

There's always going to be issues with any video game, but you've converted an old school simmer in myself and hopefully several of my owners along the way.

Nice job.

(as a side note, Andreas if you read this, please PM me regarding my license?)
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #251
sblaha
Bat Boy

New user-very nice!

Played through 28 seasons. Really impressed with the AI. Some additions/mods that would be nice:

1) a "real-time" clock somewhere on the header, so that when running in full-screen mode we can tell if we are missing appointments!
-or-
2) when using full-screen mode, have it windowed like a regular windows app, where the taskbar is visible (and hence, the clock). Mainly nice for email alerts and such, which do not actually chime or pop-up when in full-screen mode.

Minor points, but would make it easier than having to toggle out of the game to see if an email has arrived, or check the time. (Besides, one can get pretty involved with the game, and lose track of time!)
sblaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #252
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblaha View Post
Played through 28 seasons. Really impressed with the AI. Some additions/mods that would be nice:

1) a "real-time" clock somewhere on the header, so that when running in full-screen mode we can tell if we are missing appointments!
-or-
2) when using full-screen mode, have it windowed like a regular windows app, where the taskbar is visible (and hence, the clock). Mainly nice for email alerts and such, which do not actually chime or pop-up when in full-screen mode.

Minor points, but would make it easier than having to toggle out of the game to see if an email has arrived, or check the time. (Besides, one can get pretty involved with the game, and lose track of time!)
Play in windowed mode but maximized so it takes up the whole screen except the taskbar.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #253
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Hey, can somebody help me with the interactive storylines? I imported my OOTP 12 league to 13 and its been fine and the storyline option IS enabled so I don't know why I don't see any. I've simmed around 20 seasons so far in OOTP 13. I have all coaches and stuff turned on. Can someone please help?
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #254
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I wonder when a patch to fix the offseason center is coming? It's almost a waste to click on it because it seems to hang up for me.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #255
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I wonder when a patch to fix the offseason center is coming? It's almost a waste to click on it because it seems to hang up for me.
Such a good feature, its a shame is now thoroughly broken now.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #256
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
Such a good feature, its a shame is now thoroughly broken now.
Well, the good news is - it's been a few days over a month since Markus said he was taking a break.. hopefully a quick patch to fix this is in the works.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #257
madJ
Major Leagues

If I remember correctly, Markus said that he'll be back in June. It's not quite June yet.
madJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #258
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Markus.............come out come out wherever you are..........
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #259
Dave Hansen
Major Leagues

Made jump from v11 to v13:

* in game sounds/ballpark atmosphere better.

* PBP better.

* team home page summary great.

* WP/PB to frequent.

* AI trading using Hard/Neutral settings...IMO AI overvalues 17-19 year old with potential of 60 or less. (scouting off).

* Occasional quirky lineup generation...again scouting off...IMO overvalues power in setting lineups...ie, will select a 12-10-14-9-10 vs. a 15-12-10-14-14(both have postion ratings equal)...I value OBP over HR so it could just be my preference.

* In game PBP doesn't match ball location on field (about 15%)...most related to depth issue (ie, PBP has fielder catching ball at the outfield wall while location is middle outfield), but an occasional LF vs. RF pops up.

* Nice upgrade from v11.
Dave Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #260
TBPauly
Minors (Single A)

I also made the v11 to v13 jump...was playing 11 up until the day before I got 13.

A much slicker game. Very impressed with the random debut feature.

(Although: one piece of advice, only set up ONE minor league with it if you start in the 1900's, or else the game will run thru the 18,000 players in the history of MLB at a faster clip, and I'd imagine you'd run out of players before getting to the present day.)

Also tried the current rosters. Always like to do my first run managing a AAA team to try and break into the majors the following year. Found that the weather hadn't been set for a few PCL teams, but that's easily fixable.

Interface is a bit harder on the eyes (or at least mine) since v11, as other posters mentioned.

Would love to see OOTP work on a ballpark database for a future version as it does with players and teams. Say you want to put your fantasy team to use the park factors Shea Stadium in 1975, hit a few buttons, poof, you're there. Or Sportsman's Park in 1926. Or an all-time average of Sportsman's Park.

But all in all, it's a step in the right direction, which is all anyone can ask...
TBPauly is offline   Reply With Quote