Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Fishball019
Bat Boy

do people play all the game in a season or just some

i new to the game so i want some opinion if you play all the game manually in a season or just sim most and play some ?
Fishball019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

That really depends on the quality of my team. If I have a poor quality team I would probably play most of the games because a human manage can compensate for a teams weaknesses with batting and pitching strategy the AI won't use.

If the team is decent what I usually do is sim until the 6th inning and take over from there is the game is close.

I once built a team that was an absolute killing machine. That team won two championships and over 200 games in two seasons. I figured out real quick to let the AI sim their games. Me managing them only hurt their chances.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
Hemi425HP
Minors (Triple A)

I play out every game myself, but overall I think you'd find the whole range. That's one thing that's great about this game. You can play how you want to.

If I'm getting shelled I sim the remainder of the game. No need to sit through that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi425HP View Post
I play out every game myself, but overall I think you'd find the whole range. That's one thing that's great about this game. You can play how you want to.

If I'm getting shelled I sim the remainder of the game. No need to sit through that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I do the same thing as far as getting shelled. I'm a Reds fan playing the current season so I guess I may actually sim more rather than play out the games.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
That really depends on the quality of my team. If I have a poor quality team I would probably play most of the games because a human manage can compensate for a teams weaknesses with batting and pitching strategy the AI won't use.

If the team is decent what I usually do is sim until the 6th inning and take over from there is the game is close.

I once built a team that was an absolute killing machine. That team won two championships and over 200 games in two seasons. I figured out real quick to let the AI sim their games. Me managing them only hurt their chances.
This is interesting because I do the opposite: as long as my team is in contention I play out the games, and once they become irrelevant I set the AI manager appropriately and speed things up. Once my starter's pitch count starts getting high I keep an eye on the pitcher's spot in the lineup so I don't miss a chance to PH/double switch.

Keep in mind that in an individual game you can speed things up, which took me a while to learn. I use one-pitch mode and (especially early in games) use "sim half-inning".

And as Mr. Marlin notes... sometimes they're better off without you. I worked hard on an expansion team to get them in contention up to the trade deadline, then they got swept 4 games by the division leader and were over 10 games out. I simmed out a week at a time and they were eliminated on the last day of the season!

I certainly understand why people sim whole months/years at a time, depending on a particular idea/project, but I really enjoy grinding through the season.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
low
Hall Of Famer

I play out all of mine.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
steady teddy
Major Leagues

There's no wrong answer here, but the thought of playing my games out in OOTP never appealed to me at all. The game is too deep with stats and if I played my games out I would never find out how the young prospects I drafted or traded for turned out in their careers. I just don't have the time for it. I usually sim a week at a time (maybe even a month a time) as GM only, unless I see my manager doing some really stupid things, then I'll change the settings.

The only BB game I where used to play out every game of every season were the earlier versions of the old High Heat series. Although the financial system in it sucked.
steady teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues

To counter here im like Teddy. I play out zero games. I've had every version since OOTP9 and simmered in game mode maybe 5 games the whole time. Never been my thing. There's enough real baseball for me to find and watch I don't need to watch or control the simulation. It's all GMing for me. I'd rather burn through decades watching careers rise and fall.

Last edited by slugger922cubs; 07-13-2017 at 05:25 PM.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger922cubs View Post
To counter here im like Teddy. I play out zero games. I've had every version since OOTP9 and simmered in game mode maybe 5 games the whole time. Never been my thing. There's enough real baseball for me to find and watch I don't need to watch or control the simulation. It's all GMing for me. I'd rather burn through decades watching careers rise and fall.
yep. that's my mode as well.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
buckeye22
Major Leagues

I usually quick sim day to day. Gives me the chance to change things up on the fly without spending a bunch of time in games. Can still get through a season in a pretty short amount of time that way.

I usually set all lineups and pitching staff, but from there I let the manager do his thing in terms of strategy and giving guys days off. I could maybe start using 7 day lineups or watching who needs a breather myself, but I like being the GM and letting the manager more or less do his thing.
buckeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #11
GunnyB
Minors (Triple A)

Off and on I'll play out a few games over a season. I prefer roster building myself.
It all depends upon the person I would say.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 AM   #12
bjohn13
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I pretty much play every game. If I'm not in a close race, I'll occasionally sim to the fifth, but I like having complete control over how much every player plays. I also enjoy the strategy and grind that goes into a season. Plus, I find that if I just sim all of my games, the fun goes too fast.

When I get 20-30 years into a franchise, there is a seriously rewarding feeling that goes into seeing the history of the league develop.

However, if talking to someone new at the game, I would say to simulate. There is so much to learn in this game. The best way to get one's feet wet is to get a team, simulate a few weeks, and then see what you can do to make your team better.
bjohn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #13
Big T
Hall Of Famer

I have a fictional universe with a 100 game schedule. I play all the games regardless of the standings. By using 100 games vs 162 the season moves along faster and even with a weak team, your interest level can stay higher when your not out of it with 50 games.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #14
cooperthegiantscat
Minors (Double A)

I play as GM only usually so nope, sim every game. I like the management side of things better
cooperthegiantscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
sonicqaz
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just got the game about a month ago, but I'm doing pitch by pitch in every major league game. The only time I do something different is if I'm winning or losing by 7, then I switch to 1 pitch mode. I'm currently in the NLCS of my first season and I won 107 games. Even though I'm playing with the Cubs, I dont think I would have gotten more than 90-95 wins at most if I didnt actually manage the games, and pitch by pitch gives a huge advantage. (I lost 3 starting pitchers for the season to injury, and shoe-in ROTY Ian Happ missed the last two months too.) Knowing when to steal a base, use a hit and run, or when to Pitch to Contact to avoid a walk (or avoid contact on 0-2 count) adds a lot more wins to my games than if I just did one-pitch mode. Managing the bullpen more closely adds a lot more wins when you do either pitch by pitch or one-pitch than you would if you just simmed. Playing with the Cubs makes it easier to PH and double switch than with most teams because of how flexible a lot of their players are in the field, so I can bring up important bats in important situations.

It takes a long time to play out all of the games but I feel a strong connection to my team and the playoffs so far have been extremely nerve racking since it feels like I've devoted so much time to my franchise. I generally play the game with live baseball on in the background because of my At Bat subscription and before I notice, I've played like 12 hours straight. Who knows if I'll want to keep doing this long term but its been a bunch of fun so far.
sonicqaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Sometimes I'll drop in to play a few innings just to see the ballpark in 3D mode. That's really made gameplay more fun. But for the most part, I sim almost everything. I will play games if my team makes it to the playoffs or world series.
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 AM   #17
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I play out most games.

I'm also a terrible manager, so this is probably handicapping myself needlessly, but I like doing it lol.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #18
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i mostly stick to history building, nowadays. i will either make a couple transcendant guys or play until i find one and after their career start minimizing my hands-on activity and focus on a long chugging through years, so i can look at in the leaderboards and related pages of feedack with a large selection of high quality careers.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #19
gglennwill
Minors (Triple A)

I play out every game until July 4th. If I'm 10 or more games out, I sim the rest of the season, otherwise I play the rest of the games.
gglennwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #20
cavebutter
All Star Starter

If I am taking over a new team, I will play as a spectator (watch every play rather than manage) for the first two or three months of the season. This helps me get to know the team much better. After that, I will sim day by day.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote