Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is it possible to have significantly different subleague sizes?

I am in the planing stages of a European baseball league, I plan on starting with a 4 team British league around 1881. Then, around the mid 1890's i want to add a four team league in continental Europe as another subleauge. However, by the 1900's I want to add 4 more teams to the continental Europe league, creating a situation where the champion of the 4 team British league faces off with the champion of the 8 team continental league. I plan on largely keeping this setup until about 1939 when the continental league folds, and only the British league holds on (barely) though WWII, after which point the league reboots as a normal 16 team league with 8 teams per sub-leauge, with the surviving British teams being split between the sub leagues.

Anyway, my question is is the 4 vs. 8 league structure possible or feasible? (Obviously it would not be historically possible in the real world, for quite clear reasons. I strictly mean would this league be possible in a fantasy world in OOTP's engine?)
Also, if this sounds way to ambitious any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Gneilos; 03-21-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Gneilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Yes, but keep in mind you can only have two subleagues.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Feeder Leauge question.

Sorry, but I have a couple more questions.

The first relates to my plan regarding feeder leagues. I had planned to have regional or national feeders including every significant nation in Europe, (although none in Eastern Europe until the 1990's.) This would include a French feeder league, a German feeder league, a Nordic feeder league, and a British feeder league including England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. I did not really want to throw Ireland in with England, but it seemed the most logical place for them. Another issue is Greece, they basically fit no where until the fall of the iron curtain ,when they will join a Balkan feeder league.
My question is can I use feeder leagues without a draft? I don't want to have a draft until the late 1940's. No league I've ever heard of used a draft until the NFL in the late '30's, so I think it would be weird to have one as early as the 1880's.

I have another question, although it's not so much related to OOTP or baseball even, so I don't mind if no one can answer it, I'm really just looking for advice anyway. Originally I was going to use the modern populations of European cities to determine where teams are located. But then I got to thinking about things, like Austria. What I learned in school was that Austria (as the core of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) was a major power in Europe around the time I plan on adding teams to mainland Europe. However, going by modern city populations Vienna would probably not get a team for a long time, in favor of places like Athens, which was relatively unimportant in the real world at this time. So my question is does Vienna deserve a team in the 1890's, when it was the capital of a major European empire, despite it's relative decline since?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Feeders without a draft are possible. Just set the age maximum as normal, and set the leagues' settings as follows:

Feeder leagues: Allow free agents to leave league, disallow free agents from other leagues
Other leagues: Allow free agents to leave league, allow free agents from other leagues
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Feeders without a draft are possible. Just set the age maximum as normal, and set the leagues' settings as follows:

Feeder leagues: Allow free agents to leave league, disallow free agents from other leagues
Other leagues: Allow free agents to leave league, allow free agents from other leagues
I ran into a couple roadblocks when setting up my league the first was that enabling the reserve clause rules disables all other free agency related option, like the allow free agents to leave/allow free agents from other leagues. So it seems that the only way to get this part to work is to abolish the reserve clause by the 1880's.

However, the second issue seeming made this problem a moot point, because minors have no financials. Unless I'm missing something this makes impossible to set feeders to allow free agents to leave/disallow free agents from other leauges, since there are absolutely no financial options to change other then average attendance.

I set up what I could, and simmed 10 years. The results were that players from my feeder leauges end up in limbo, no longer in the feeder league, or in my major league. They can be found by clicking on their name, for example in the career leaders boards, but I have no idea where they actually wound up.

The only other issuer my test revealed is possibly weird numbers. I know very little about baseball before 1901, but my guess is that a team batting average of .246 should not be 1st in the league. I would also expect the batting champ to finish at higher than .322. Of course this could be related to the feeder league problem, no new players (or very few, it seems a handful of free agents are still being randomly created, I tried to stop this, but didn't succeed), means the leauge is populated by a bunch of 30 somethings whose skills are decline (I pumped the aging rate to reflect the medical technology/training methods of the 1880's).

So attempt 1 of my fantasy Euro league is a failure, but I will continue to experiment.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

Greece could be grouped with Italy as some sort of "Mediterranean".

Good luck with your setup - so far I really like my European League of Champions (modern age):

Every EU country has a slot, plus the three countries contributing most funds to the EU each get a second.

Plus there are (now, I started with just AAA and AA) three leagues below that - in theory again one per country, but the smallest countries could "sell" their leagues to a different country.

Therefore Malta and Cyprus have their minor league teams play in Italy and England (IIRC), etc.

Of course doing jerseys for that league still is an ongoing project ;-).
AstaSyneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 AM   #7
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Testing continues, Feeders dropped for now

I've decided to abandon feeder leagues until post WWII.

My initial test with the 4 original British teams went fairly well. I simmed all the way until the 1920's with 60 game seasons, and no new teams. As expected just about the time I stopped the first power hitters arrived on the scene, one guy hit 17 HR's in 60 games. Also, the two largest markets, London (by far) and Birmingham dominated combining for something like 40 pennants in 50 years, this too was expected to some degree.

However, my second test did not go as well. There were two main differences between the tests. First this time i eventually changed the length of the season to 90, then a full 154 games. This went fine. However, I also added 12 total new teams, 4 smaller markets in England, and 8 in continental Europe (I did decide to include Vienna.) However, these new news absolutely dominated, their randomly created rosters were far better then the ones of the established teams. Portsmouth, a team that I expected fold in the 1930's has become the greatest dynasty in Europe, won most of the Euro Series played to date. Mightly London now has a losing record for it's history, partly due to the increse in season lengths.

It seems the game has barely created enough players to fill the teams rosters,and most new players have seemed to be pretty marginal talents.

For my next text I may try dumped a lead of randomly created youngsters into the league every off season, about 5 per team. I want to see if that will help to increase the talent level.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

1st test with me in control of team underway

I took control of the Birmingham Blue Stockings. I chose them because I'm not particularly good at this game, and they are the 2nd largest market, after London of course. I would feel dirty running this universes version of the Yankees though.
We won the pennant the first year, with a record of 39-21, besting the 2nd place Leeds Eagles by 3. However, all I did was set the rosters.

After the season the game only created 8 new players (2 per team), so I added 20 randomly generated players. I aggressively signed several players as soon as I was able, including the classes #1 player, CF Harry Able. He's great defensively, but his bat appears average, although it might be much better than that compared to the talent level of this league.

The AI does not seem to go hard after players at this point, so I would seem to have significant advantage. So far 8 players have been signed, and seemingly 7 were by my team, with 2 pending offers left. In the future I may have to cap how many players I sign, in the AI remains so passive. Either that or accidentally spend my team into bankruptcy I guess.

Last edited by Gneilos; 03-30-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Status Update

I have been playing the European League I designed for about a month now. I am currently at the 1928 playoffs. The game was too easy to dominate early on, leading me to institute a partial minor league system (AAA only for now), 40man roster rules, and the rule 5 draft, around 1902. I also put in place a self-imposed rule that I cannot ever release a player who established themselves as a legit major leaguer This self imposed roster rule means that my farm team has at least 5 past their prime ex-big leagers just taking up space at AAA at all times. Despite this I still win alot, but my season records are no longer outlandish, like they were before, (previously I would win 110+ games per year, now down to 90-100, still outstanding but not absolutely absurd.) The 40 man roster has actually had a much bigger impact then the rule 5 draft, severely limiting my ability to sign top young prospects to major league deals, often forcing me to search for less developed, unknown but toolsy prospects willing to sign for a minor league deal, so they won't require a non-existent 40 man roster spot for a few years.

I got past WWI, when franchises located in Germany and Austria, (along with Madrid, only so there would be an even number of teams,) were deleted, without creating any serious problems. When I deleted the 4 teams I assumed their farms teams would be deleted also. They were not, but as an experiment I decided to run with it. This made one of my 2 AAA leagues 50% affiliated 50% non-affiliated for 6 seasons. In those 6 seasons the non- affiliated teams dominated winning around 65% of their games. When I returned the 4 delted teams (replacing Vienna with Athens though) and relinked them with thier farm teams everything returned to normal. The revived teams managed to finish in the middle of the pack, but now their farm teams were in the basement.

The live ball era has started, but unlike the fairly sudden change that took place in North America in Europe home runs are gradually increasing in acceptance and frequency. Just last year a player for the Marseille Sailors (located on the Southern Coast of France) became the first player to his over 30 HR's, with 32. The previous record was 25, my teams record is 23. My 26 year old Italian OF/1b is the all-time European HR king with 125, he holds the team season record too. Being Italian fits with the league legend from the 1917 European series. In that series my Birmingham Blue Sox were heavily favored over the Rome Gladiators. We won games one and two at home, and led early in game three. Then one Roman player hit a game tying home run, and later another player hit a walk off game winning HR. The Gladiators would go on to hit an impressive (for the time) 4 Hr's in the series, going 3-0 in games where they hit a HR, also all 4 homers either tied the game or gave Rome a lead. Then my demoralized team bombed game 7, handing the Gladiators the title, the only game Rome won without hitting a Home run. After series players and managers began to ponder the possibilities of using the Home Run as a realistic weapon, as opposed to rare, unusual occurrences. Usually the leauge leader would have between 21-23 dingers.

In other news, around 1924 my generous owner died, and his controlling owner started a yearly tradition of cutting around $10k from the budget each offseason. In 1925 I "retired" as the manager off the Birmingham Blue Sox, being replaced my my son, who had "played" for me between 1900-1912. (my son was a terrible batter, but decent fielder, who pretty much only ever saw time as a defensive replacement.) So technically I sill control the team, but I did not want to use a senile old man as my manager.

Also, after searching the list of the all-time pitching wins leaders, I saw something I had never seen before. Pitcher Artur Stenberger is 10th all-time in wins with 298 (he has 258 losses), he has an career ERA of 3.09 (not as good as it sounds in the dead-ball era, but still quite good), and he has pitched in the big leagues since 1905. Also, he is disliked around the league. I had never seen a player with negative popularly until today, and did not even know it was possible. I just assumed that all players were either unknown/neutral or well-known/popular. I guess they had to have a category for players like A-Rod, but I wonder how the game determined that a fictional player is hated around the league.

Last edited by Gneilos; 04-22-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

??!!

Name:  what.png
Views: 529
Size:  347.6 KB

This is an image of part of the history page of the current best player in Europe, and he has the skills to someday be regarded as Europe's GOAT, potentially comparable to someone along the lines of Ted Williams, as someone known almost exclusively for his extraordinary hitting. Keep in mind that he plays 1st base, is the slowest base runner in the league and missed 6 weeks with an injury last year,he put up 7.4 WAR with his bat alone in barely over 100 games. My (legendary) scout rates him con:70/70, pow70/75, eye 60/65. Also has you can see he was a 34th round pick! My team passed on him 33 times, several teams passed on him 34 times. Brussels drafted him, then released him a year later. Milan then signed him, also releasing him after one season. Then he re-signed with Brussels, and the rest is history.

For comparisons sake, our 1950 33rd round pick batted .212 in short A, and is likely due to be released after the season, but I do hold on tp prospects a little too long.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Top prosepct Jordan "Missing" Cuber lives up to nickname.

I seemingly encountered a a strange glitch today.
First to set the scene it is 1966 and the league has expanded to 20 teams Since the draft was instituted in 1948 my team has typically finish in the top half of the league, only making a few series pennant runs, but never picking any higher then 10th in the draft.

The Madrid Conquistadors have the worst owner in the league, Jose Lopez, an unmerciful penny-pincher. This being the case his team tends to pick high very often, and waste picks nearly as often. In the 1964 draft one of these picks happened to be the most hyped pitching prospect in Europe's history, Jordan "missing" Cuber, who soon lived up to his nickname by going missing.

As soon as Cuber signed he was the leagues number 1 prospect. However the game seemed to have lost him after 2 starts in rookie ball in 1964. Not paying real close attention to other teams farm systems, but only quickly checking once a year to see how Cuber was doing due to the hype around him I did notice he had only pitched in 2 games in 1964, but I Just figured it was due to injuries.

In 1966 when I checked his team was listed as a member of one Madrid's 2 rookie teams, but he was rated 4.5 stars by my scout. Then i decided to investigate, I checked the teams roster and Cuber was no listed on the roster! There was no pitcher rated more then 2 stars, This was weird, but I went into commissioner mode, assigned him to there other rookie team, then sent him back, and low and behold Cuber was back! I have no idea for he was for 2 years, but he's only 23, so his career hasn't been too delayed, although Madrid assigned him to A ball,even though he looks at least ready for AAA if not the majors. I guess he has to shake off some rust after being lost on a desert island for two years, or something similar.

This does bring up the question "Has this happened with other players?" Several lesser players could have been stuck in limbo like this, without ever finding them. The only reason I found Cuber was of how significant of a prospect he was. This could potentially bring up questions about the integrity of the game world, but unless obvious problems/ widespread evidence of similar events occur, that clearly effect game play I will just chalk this up as a strange one-time occurrence and continue to progress though the alternative history of baseball crazed Europe as planned, unless that is one you can tell me what happened here and if there is a problem or not,of course.

Last edited by Gneilos; 06-03-2014 at 03:58 AM. Reason: One last sentence I forgot
Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Gneilos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Doh!!

Seeing how versatile this game is I became overconfident in it's ability to do anything I felt likie. So in 1987 i made a strike shortened season, where the seson started in mid June. This part worked fine, but i encountered a game ending problem when trying to get the season back to normal. The 1988 pre-season was skipped,then in spring training the game could not find players on my active roster, even though my 40 man roster was full, this problem also happened to a handful of other teams in my 24 team leauge.So I was unable to continue this file.

This taught me the value of frequently backing up my files, as I had only been backing up the game when I altered the league structure (expansion), the last of which was 1970, meaning that the last 17 years I played were an alternate reality where the cold war turned hot in 1987 and destroyed the world. However, having no ideas or interest in starting a completely new game, I will reload from my 17 year old back-up and replay the '70's and '80's, this time backing up at least every season.

In my teams case the '70's and '80's were down years, just one championship (1981) and three other playoff appearances (1970, 1986, and 1987, losing the league championship each time.

However for the league as a whole was very interesting. The '70's saw the greatest dynasty since the draft began in 1948, the Vienna Nobles were kinda like a Euro version of the big red machine, winning 3 euro series, and something like 7 division titles in the '70's. They were led by a power hitting catcher who was an international discovery from Thailand!? Who became the leagues first 600 HR player sometime around when I broke the game. He is most likely already in the game in 1970 (debuted in 1971 originally), but I doubt his development will be as amazing this time around. Another player broke the single season HR record, he is also probably in the game, but he underwent some freakish development the first time around, as he was a late round pick whose power suddenly skyrocketed to 80/80. Also the league will probably miss out on it's first 300 game winner since the 1930's, since although this player is already in the game, it's doubtful he will have the same incredible longevity that got him there.

I will miss these event's, but from past experience it does not take me long to reattach myself to events and players, although that was after 1 season, not 17.
At least I can challenge myself to outperform my original run (1 championship in 17years, seriously?)
That is unless someone knows how to fix my original problem.