Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

X's & O's

With baseball it is of utmost importance that stats are accurate. In football rules have changed so much and the athlete has changed so much that the all-time rushing TD record holder does not compare to Barry Bonds alltime homerun record.

Don't get me wrong stats are crucial. But they are the 2nd highest priority. The strategy of the game. The playbook. That is what draws us in. It's a beautiful thing to see a well-timed stunt crush an offtackle strong side on 2nd and 6.

Please focus on the strategy of the game above all else.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Alaina
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
With baseball it is of utmost importance that stats are accurate. In football rules have changed so much and the athlete has changed so much that the all-time rushing TD record holder does not compare to Barry Bonds alltime homerun record.

Don't get me wrong stats are crucial. But they are the 2nd highest priority. The strategy of the game. The playbook. That is what draws us in. It's a beautiful thing to see a well-timed stunt crush an offtackle strong side on 2nd and 6.

Please focus on the strategy of the game above all else.
I agree. I hope it gives us the ability to try out new plays in practice and it'd be nice if each individual has his own learning curve in knowing plays in playbooks. We definitely don't want Brees passing for 5,500 yards every year, and stats are very important (like you said), but being able to view results of schemes vs certain situations is critical to planning a game, and it's what is going to get the stats correct.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I can't even explain how much I enjoy watching post-game evaluations with Ron Joworski. No, he's not my favorite TV guy but I really like the way they break down plays. I am a zero compared to the head coaches in the NFL.

But if I could experience play-calling (even in a simulation) that is all about apper rock scissors then, man...

And not completely random paper rock scissors...coaches have tendencies. Let me spend my time game-palnning and researching different coach personalities.

I don't want to click #1 every play unless a speedy runner is on first then I click #4.

Lastly, give me the option to put me on a 45 second play clock. Force me to make fast decisions in-game.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lastly, give me the option to put me on a 45 second play clock. Force me to make fast decisions in-game.
Yes, I really hope this is included.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Yes, I really hope this is included.
Once it is, and I can only assume it will be, an additional option to have a quick-set (not quite a hurry up offense or defense, but close) available to the coach would be great, preferably three to four packages of pre-assigned plays.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
conception
All Star Starter

What I care for most is less X's and O's, more offensive philosophy. It would be great to see guys with certain skill sets excel in a west coast offense, but less adept at running a vertical offense. I'd like to see coaches that have certain philosophies so teams have different identities.

I don't want to see it where on second and short, all teams are going to have the same percentage chance of calling a deep pass play because that makes sense in that situation.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception View Post
What I care for most is less X's and O's, more offensive philosophy. It would be great to see guys with certain skill sets excel in a west coast offense, but less adept at running a vertical offense. I'd like to see coaches that have certain philosophies so teams have different identities.

I don't want to see it where on second and short, all teams are going to have the same percentage chance of calling a deep pass play because that makes sense in that situation.
Agreed.

There needs to be 100's (ok...10's) of different coaching sliders and strong swings in every direction.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
conception
All Star Starter

Quote:
Agreed.

There needs to be 100's (ok...10's) of different coaching sliders and strong swings in every direction.
I don't think this needs tons of sliders to be effective. In fact, that's one of the primary reasons why Front Office Football seems like it fails to recreate real football at times. At least in the previous version, you could customize what your team did in every situation, with little idea of what that was actually accomplishing in your goal towards a certain philosophy. I have little doubt that this company can accomplish those things better than FOF, but I imagine (and hope) that establishing what you want to do can be done without having those.

In Front Office Football, I had no idea how to implement a west coast offense scheme until someone who knew the inner workings of the game spent time creating this scheme and others. What I dream of is having those philosophies selectable in some form, rather than having to create them all. Perhaps we could have the best of both worlds, where the sliders exist but you can preload the different philosophies and then add small alterations to add your own personal flair. FOF's system may have worked better if the gameplan library had been readily available to all user's with the game, and not only when sought out as a mod. As long as its possible to establish whether or not you want a short, timing passing game, or an aggressive, vertical passing game with very few clicks (and no need to understand complicated game mechanics and or actual percentages for what NFL schemes do in certain situations), I don't care how it is accomplished.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
This is one of the things where I actually want customization! This will be an option as some people will like it and some hate
Old 02-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
This is one of the things where I actually want customization! This will be an option as some people will like it and some hate

those are some sweet words coming out of your mouth, that is exactly how it should work because your analysis is spot on.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Old 02-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

One thing I'll give the old NFL Head Coach 09 game is that they made a good attempt at making philosophies matter in player evaluation. Their execution was somewhat lacking, IMO, but it was a good try.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

The original head coach was a lot better. I hated that stupid auction system when a player became a free agent in '09. In the original you could search free agents and make offers.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Yeah, that bit got old fast. Especially since some positions just never came up.