Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Curiouser and Curiouser
Bat Boy

I'm not sure I understand this

If I play historical and choose the 1923 season (for example), at the end of the season do I advance to 1924 and draft the actual rookies from 1924?

Or, would I have to purchase 1924 in order for this to happen?

Thanks for your answer in advance.
Curiouser and Curiouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser and Curiouser View Post
If I play historical and choose the 1923 season (for example), at the end of the season do I advance to 1924 and draft the actual rookies from 1924?

Or, would I have to purchase 1924 in order for this to happen?

Thanks for your answer in advance.
You do NOT have to purchase ANYTHING to play any season in history. You will advance to the next season and draft that season's new players each season.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Edit

Oops my bad. Remedial reading comprehension classes are needed.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 03-30-2011 at 12:17 AM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
You do NOT have to purchase ANYTHING to play any season in history. You will advance to the next season and draft that season's new players each season.
Wait, what? I read that you get 3 seasons out the door, not any season in history and that when you advance to the next season, you get fictional players, not real players.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Wait, what? I read that you get 3 seasons out the door, not any season in history and that when you advance to the next season, you get fictional players, not real players.
Yeah, that's what I read too. I wonder if we're starting to confuse OOTP stuff with iOOTP stuff.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
Eric
All Star Starter

The OP is talking about iOOTP not the PC version.

The FAQ thread mentions you have to buy individual seasons beyond the three provided...

Quote:
Q: What league types are supported?
A: We have the 2011 Major Leagues included (the entire 40-man rosters plus the top prospects of each team), three fictional league setups (8, 16 or 30 Teams), and three historical replay leagues (1923, 1965, 2004) with the option to purchase further historical seasons for $0.99 each.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Not in iOOTP!

In iOOTP, the complete historical database is NOT included (memory issues)... so when you complete 1923, you can continue, however the draft is filled with fictional players.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Not in iOOTP!

In iOOTP, the complete historical database is NOT included (memory issues)... so when you complete 1923, you can continue, however the draft is filled with fictional players.
Where does the purchase of additional seasons come into play?

Are we only able to purchase an additional season for which we create our league or are we given the option to purchase the following season for every subsequent season we finish beyond what is included?
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Curiouser and Curiouser
Bat Boy

Quote:
Not in iOOTP!

I appreciate the "official" answer. However, it leads me to another question.

You state that including the complete historical database wouldn't work due to a memory problem. However, if I bought every season wouldn't I have the same problem?

Also, are you saying that each historical season stands alone and there is no way to continue from 1923 to 1924 with real players coming in through the amateur draft?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not in iOOTP!

My apologies. I was thinking this was a v12 question. Didn't mean to lead anyone down the wrong path.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
My apologies. I was thinking this was a v12 question. Didn't mean to lead anyone down the wrong path.
Get your head in the game Meat!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
JayWigley
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
If I bought every season wouldn't I have the same problem (memory limit)?

Also, are you saying that each historical season stands alone and there is no way to continue from 1923 to 1924 with real players coming in through the amateur draft?
I'd like to suggest that there be another add-on available that allows us to pay maybe $19.99 for a open license to ALL historical seasons for just this purpose--to import "proper" rookies for each historical season, along with fictional ones (up to a given total number of new rookies at the beginning of each historical season) so that more of the OOTP desktop experience is possible with iOOTP.

Is such a thing possible? Surely.
JayWigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Curiouser and Curiouser
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWigley View Post
I'd like to suggest that there be another add-on available that allows us to pay maybe $19.99 for a open license to ALL historical seasons for just this purpose--to import "proper" rookies for each historical season, along with fictional ones (up to a given total number of new rookies at the beginning of each historical season) so that more of the OOTP desktop experience is possible with iOOTP.

Is such a thing possible? Surely.
If I may comment on your comments. I understand why you wrote about the other "add-on" tentatively priced at $19.99 for an open license to all historical seasons. The "problem" I have with this is that historical seasons are not around because of any work OOTP people did rating the players or going through history to look them up, but they are there because of the free Lahman DB.

The work the OOTP people did is in coming up with a way to import the DB and assign ratings to the players. This was done a long time ago back at the dawn of this game and has probably been tweaked over the years. But the fact remains that the customer is being asked to pay for something that is "free" and was developed for use in the game "a long time ago". Now, if a customer wants to buy this, then that's fine. Whatever the market will bear is fair. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to buy anything.

Now, is OOTP a single season historical replay game? I think the answer is no. I think that's one of the things it will be striving for in OOTP 12 but as of the moment it has no track record in being the equivalent of Strat or Action or DMB at this moment. OOTP, from an historical game standpoint, has always been a GM sim (where you could manage if you so choose) where you can progress from season to season and play out your "what if" fantasies. I think that's a huge reason for a lot of the success this franchise has had.

So, is iOOTP a strict seasonal replay game? If yes, then so be it and charge whatever the market will bear for additional seasons but the accuracy needs to be pretty good or you've deceived the customer.

If it's a season to season replay game (I'm talking historical here) then you can't really call it historical if you have one year with the real players and then after that you are a hybrid of real and fictional until finally you are just fictional.

If buying all the seasons let's you play through history from 1901 up to the present, you sort of contradict yourself on the memory issue.

I'm just trying to understand which end is up? I would love to have a decent ball game for my Ipad. $4.95 is nothing to pay and I'd be willing to pay more. However, I'm interested in historical only and not some hybrid. I don't quite understand how historical works in iOOTP. If it's like the full featured OOTP or is it some other variation of the game?

Answers to these questions will help me decide whether or not to buy, and they may help others.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
You state that including the complete historical database wouldn't work due to a memory problem. However, if I bought every season wouldn't I have the same problem?
At a guess its more the bandwidth/time required to download all the seasons at once would put a lot of users off from getting the game is they were all included at once (I know with my iPhone game I spent a lot of time trying to 'slim' it down to that it was fairly compact as a download - not everyone has a fast internet link).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
At a guess its more the bandwidth/time required to download all the seasons at once would put a lot of users off from getting the game is they were all included at once (I know with my iPhone game I spent a lot of time trying to 'slim' it down to that it was fairly compact as a download - not everyone has a fast internet link).
Exactly. Since they're going for broadening the fan base to people that haven't played OOTP before they probably don't want to bloat it and scare them off. Considering any game over 20 MB you have to be on wifi PR connected to a computer to download I bet that's a determining factor too. I know personally if something is over that threshold I'll think whether it's really worth it for something I don't have much connection to. I'm sure there's many others like that and if they saw the game as 50 MB, it may turn them off fro ever giving iOOTP a try.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
Exactly. Since they're going for broadening the fan base to people that haven't played OOTP before they probably don't want to bloat it and scare them off. Considering any game over 20 MB you have to be on wifi PR connected to a computer to download I bet that's a determining factor too. I know personally if something is over that threshold I'll think whether it's really worth it for something I don't have much connection to. I'm sure there's many others like that and if they saw the game as 50 MB, it may turn them off fro ever giving iOOTP a try.
Unless I mis understood you, then this makes not a lot of sense. If it is over 20 MB you just need to be on Wi-Fi to download the app. You don't need to constantly be connected to Wi-Fi to keep using the app. You can use apps in airplane mode if you want.
I think however that I misunderstood you.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
Curiouser and Curiouser
Bat Boy

Doing programming for apps is not my area of expertise (like many other things aren't) but I'm trying to look at this logically.

I hate 3G so I only have a wireless IPad. So downloading is the same as for my desktop. However, logically speaking, it makes no sense to download the complete database at purchase time. When I complete 1923, for example, and choose to advance to 1924, I should only have to download the 1924 rookies which I would imagine are a small download, or the rookies plus the 1924 player stats from the DB. I don't know the details but I have a hard time imaging that as a huge download. Why have 2010 players on my machine if I'll never use them.

As I wrote earlier, if I end up playing from 1901 to 2010 having the rookies and updated stats wouldn't be a problem if buying 107 additional seasons wouldn't be a problem.

I'm just trying to understand what iOOTP offers from a historical gaming viewpoint and if it meets what I'm looking for. I don't think, but I could be wrong, that this particular question has been asked or addressed.

Thanks in advance for helping to set me straight.

Last edited by Curiouser and Curiouser; 03-30-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Also, I don't know for sure because I don't have iOOTP (obviously) but it's entirely possible that you're not getting the entire Lahman database but the OOTP ratings only. This would make a great deal of sense, as Lahman is pretty huge and has lots of info that OOTP doesn't use. So the fact that the developers got their research from Lahman is about as immaterial in this case as saying that the makers of DMB get the info for their season disks from bbref or wherever. In the end, you're not getting access to the website, you're getting ratings based on stats from that website.

It sounds like it might not be a perfect fit either but it sounds like a start, and the game after all is not (quite) OOTP.

Quote:
I'm just trying to understand what iOOTP offers from a historical gaming viewpoint and if it meets what I'm looking for. I don't think, but I could be wrong, that this particular question has been asked or addressed.
This game is new to everyone. I'd be lying to you if I said "yes, this is what you want." Fact is, we just don't know, and I say this as a big a fan of OOTP as there is. I'll say that if you have a regular non-iOS computer, you might want to buy the normal game to get an idea of what you might be getting into.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not

Last edited by Syd Thrift; 03-30-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #19
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Unless I mis understood you, then this makes not a lot of sense. If it is over 20 MB you just need to be on Wi-Fi to download the app. You don't need to constantly be connected to Wi-Fi to keep using the app. You can use apps in airplane mode if you want.
I think however that I misunderstood you.
Right. My thing is, if I see an app I want, I generally want it right then. If I have to wait til I'm home on wifi to download either I'll forget, second guess myself (especially if it's not a free app), find a cheaper alternative, or any number of other things to not download it. I think overall if you can keep it under the 20 MB threshold to download it over 3G it would help sales for these reasons. Any time you give a potential customer a road block or time to second guess themselves, you will lose a percentage of those customers.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
Right. My thing is, if I see an app I want, I generally want it right then. If I have to wait til I'm home on wifi to download either I'll forget, second guess myself (especially if it's not a free app), find a cheaper alternative, or any number of other things to not download it. I think overall if you can keep it under the 20 MB threshold to download it over 3G it would help sales for these reasons. Any time you give a potential customer a road block or time to second guess themselves, you will lose a percentage of those customers.
So your suggestion is to make the game smaller because you are forgetful and will forget to download it at home?