Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: FAQ

Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Twitter and online leagues

I've never used Twitter, and I won't share my former opinion of it, because it's not positive. I'm not sure I'll ever check it out.

But, when PadresFan posted that he was going to send out a "tweet" whenever he updated his mods site, it made me think that Twitter would be a good fit for online leagues, because a Commissioner could send out a tweet whenever he had run a sim, imported some exports, modded his website or forum, etc.

Most online league owners probably check their league sites regularly anyway, at least the owners who care about minor updates. And I'm not sure what the difference between using Twitter and using an online feed like RSS would be. I suppose that a Commissioner could send out a tweet whenever he did something minor, it could be more convenient, and more of an opt-in thing, than email.

The idea struck me as interesting, and it seemed as if maybe Twitter could help link the Commissioner of an online legue, and his owners.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
jdettbarn
All Star Reserve

Was actually thinking about this the other day too.

You could also use the free, open source laconica (Laconica) to power a twitter-like community for your league. Might make more sense than dealing with all the noise that comes from Twitter.

NPBL Idaho Spuds GM
Former Federal Baseball League and JOBL Commish (2002 - 2011)
jdettbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
stevebydac
All Star Reserve

Email seems a lot simpler.

stevebydac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
kq76
Global Moderator

Yeah, I don't really see the benefit for online leagues. I think you certainly don't want to ask your members to sign up for tweets instead of sending them email updates.

I can kind of see how twitter might be good for Padres' mod site though because people can easily self-subscribe to twitter, but he could do the same with an email newsletter that people could subscribe to. I guess if you're a lurker of an online league it might be nice to just follow a league's tweets, but I just don't see a whole lot of use for it especially over what should already be easily available.

Not that I should talk because I think twitter has got to be about the most ridiculous internet phenomenon we've ever seen (they're essentially just IM away messages for Pete's sake), but obviously some people do find them useful or at least entertaining.

Last edited by kq76; 04-25-2009 at 01:34 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Yeah, I don't really see the benefit for online leagues.
The benefits that I can see are that the Commissioner could send out tweets when he executed some league action which didn't warrant an email. The protocol of tweets is much more casual than emails, I believe; plus, owners could opt-in to this additional level of league involvement. It's appropriate to send out a tweet that says "just adjusted forum background color" whereas that's not an email that most people would care to receive. Owners who wanted to immediately find out about every minor activity of a Commissioner, regarding the league, could sign up for the league's Twitter feed.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
satchel
Hall Of Famer

This isn't something I'd expect most Commissioners or owners to do. Most leagues just aren't that intense. But it is a promising potential application for this popular technology.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
satchel
Hall Of Famer

I don't use Twitter and I don't plan on doing so. But, if I did use it, I'd be much more interested in whether one of my leagues had just posted All-star ballots than if Ashton Kutcher couldn't find a parking space.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I used it when I ran FOOL, but mostly for the gee-whiz factor. And well, I'm an active twitterer. I think it has some pretty useful applications for online play, but...it's got to be an integrated part of what you do and I don't think most leagues need it.

http://twitter.com/FOOLwire

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 04-25-2009 at 08:14 PM.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote