Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
Hemi425HP
Minors (Triple A)

Minor League Roster Size Limits

So far I've let my assistant GM handle minor league promotions, demotions, etc. (I'm close to wanting to take over those tasks). The game doesn't have MiLB roster limits by default and my lower minor league teams were getting so many players that I became concerned about my good prospects not getting enough playing time because my system was clogged with 1/2 star potential players.
I've set roster limits for all minor leagues as follows:
AAA, AA : 25 players
A+, A : 30 players
A-, R : 35 players
Now I'm wondering if I'm too limited and will run into problems. What recommendations do the more experienced folks here have?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

This has been a discussion for years on here so take a look at the thread below, and if you search the forums you will find a lot more of these type of threads all have good information.

If you limit your AAA and Rookie levels you are going to see issues where top prospects and possibly recent drafted players get put on waivers and/or released, as well as 30 year olds in Single-A. I use a combination of roster limits (AA through S/A) and service time and that has worked like a charm.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...37#post4091659

Last edited by ohiodevil; 06-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you just let it run wild, it may be the best... however if you want to behave a particular wy by manipulating this stuff, rock on... i do too.

word of advice: becareful though... you can easily create a system in which a well rated prospect gets veritably buried at a lower level due to age, service time, and roster limits.. forced to step through minors at 1/2 pace until the AI figures it out, which is typically very late (entire league, not just your team)

probably the best way to affect this stuff is through service time limits -- initially -- instead of age limits or roster size limits. unless you change min/max age of created players (like for draft), that makes it untennable to use age in the first few tiers.

just make sure you give enough of a window at each tier to be filled by players from draft (or equivalent player creation/introduction method)

I switch to Age Limit for AA, nowadays... development nearly halts at 26-28ish... so i use ~27. if they aren't good enough for AA at 27/28, they never will be for the most part.

tidbits of use of some of the functiosn the game does and the difference in behaviour:

benefit of roster limit:

i'd use these (despite what i said above.. still debating) in order to cover for injuries... ~30-35 should cover dl trips without promotion/demotions, which the ai doesn't typically do for DL players in the minors.

as i think about it, the stats and ai screen would be better, i could control the 'goal' of batter/pitcher proportion on the teams

***i've done this (by hand, not AI) for my MiLs when i micro-manage i typically i have duplicates of each position player and a couple extra pitchers so that i don't have to do much for injuries in the MiL nor rely onthe AI to do something poorly, lol. i am new to doing this leageu-wide (AI, not me for other teams, of course). i don't know the long-term ramifications... with 1 team doing it, no noticecable difference, obviously****

you'd definitely need to account for the increased # of players required for the league if you institute serive time limits or age limits etc etc... maybe an extra draft round or ten will be needed... all depends. can figure out out wiht a bit of math or just sim out 10-20 years and see if it snags due to lack of players.

alternate to roster limits:
the Stats and AI screen has drop down boxes for size of rotation an such which sets the "25-man" roster make-up... if you change this for the minors, they will meet this 'new' # if larger or smaller... This is similar to roster size limit, but functions slightly differently (more likely to be less than, not as strict in nature i think)... watch how the behaviour is different and use either when that behaviour matches what you want (may need some time working with each)
----

From my experiecne i think this is how it works: how much talent is created within what is fictionally created is mostly due to the size of your MLB and not the # of draft rounds you have... (within reason, you could add 1*10^6 rounds and TCR will provide better players en masse eventually)

So, extra rounds is NOT a problem... when you add rounds 36-40 to a 35 round draft, you are adding 5 rounds of players who have absolutely no (little) hope of reaching the MLB without major TCR luck.

if you use service time limits or anything else, you can guesstimate how many players the draft must provide each year in order for a team to field a suitable 25-man roster (enough ptchers, enough batters etc)..

for example, let's say it's 3 years to fill 2 rookie leagues -- 35+30ish = 65 players... you better provide ~20-25 players per year that will deservedly go to rookie league... too few and alot of those more advanced college kids will be playing in rookie league for no reason other than the restrictions you put in place (not enough players with <X years service time, so even the ones who deserve to be in A-ball or even AA will go to rookie because they don't have enouhg to field a team)

20-25players... first 10-12 rounds are players that are WAY more likely to start above rookie leagues... so deduct 10-12 from total # of rounds of the draft... and it's a good rough estimate... err on the side of more, no problem... sim out to verify it doesn't throw an error for "too few players" b.s.

i make all teams have equal # of minor league teams and tiers... if you do not, you still need to pick a draft round that supports the largest requirement of any team i nthe league (this should change enventually, but...)... as of a recent patch, maybe not this one, the AI will absolutely not sign FA for the roookie-league and other minor leagues... typically the difference between # of draft rounds created and # of actual draft rounds provides this cushion for teams that require more crappy rookie players to fill their minors.

i had literally 1000's of FA with 0-1 service time and multiple teams with too few of players... nonsense. pretty basice need to function well wihtout having 50,000 rounds in the draft, lol.

a real-world league has this disparate contruction of minor leagues.. some teams have 4 rookies some have 2... it's a big wrench thrown into the equation to be considered.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-03-2017 at 01:27 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Hemi425HP
Minors (Triple A)

After reading a bunch of threads I'm running with a combination of roster size limits and service time limits as follows:

Roster Size
  • AAA No Limit
  • AA 25 Players
  • A+ 25 Players
  • A 25 Players
  • A- 35 Players
  • R No Limit

Service Time
  • AAA No Limit
  • AA No Limit
  • A+ 6 years
  • A 5 years
  • A- 4 years
  • R 3 years

We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

1 layer rookie - AAA? wild, no restrictions - ~20 is enough... you probably want 25-30 to be safe.

4*25 = 100players in 4 years to cover 1 rookie (35) a-(25) maybe 1/2 of 2 A's (25) so ~85ish... should be fine. you definitly want more, because the ai will not be as efficient as you are at filling for need when necessary... that's why you want ~35+ in the lowest tier...some ai teams may have 27pitchers and 13 position players and vice versa... shouldn't get worse than roughly that ratio, if i recall.

fyi, "3" years service time max means 4 years of playing time, because a player doesn't accumulate service time until after a season completes, if qualified.

A and A+ are name only - in case that mattered to you. service time can make it step a bit.

afterthought, the roster limit of 25 might force callups for dl trips, i'd be curious about that behaviour.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-12-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
Hemi425HP
Minors (Triple A)

Playing a modern MLB setup, still in 2017 (play out every game). I have 2 rookie teams, Yankees and Dodgers have more (well known). This is only the first year, but the AI seems to be filling everything fine so far. I was curious as to how things would shape up after the draft because nobody had all their Rookie teams with enough players. The AI is carrying 26-29 at AAA, and post-draft almost all are carrying 29-35 in their R league teams (Mets have one with 39). With the MiL roster size limits the AI does seem to be making transactions to keep the teams filled when DL trips occur. I don't see anything concerning with what they're carrying Pitcher-Batter ratio wise. Again, it's only the first year though.

Last edited by Hemi425HP; 06-12-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Hemi425HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

modern mlb? then 35-40 rounds will be good

base the math i used above on teh team with the most rookes, SA and A teams in total... A/AA/AAA should work themselves based on your settings listed.

35 for first R team, then ~30 needed for each additional team in that Rookie to cover injuries and whatnot over a season (even consider SA, to lesser extent).

yanks have 4 roookies and a SA? 4years max allowed for rookie (3=4), so

35+30+30+30 = 125 players needed every 4 years for the rookie teams.

~40 rounds is almost required for that setup. ... UNLESS*** they have fixed the 100% never happening MiL FA signing for rookie leagues... even with 1000's of qualifying players readily available.

Since some teams have different #'s of various levels, you will always have teams with 'too many' players... no big deal, it should not hurt those teams, probably can only help them really... more TCR opportunities than they would typically get with fewer MiL teams. (e.g. ~70-100players on 1 rookie team will likely occur)

35 will get you a long way... but bad luck will cause a "too few players" error eventually... inevitably, rather.

also the way you ahve it setup, i'd look at it from a 5year approach and include that 35req players for SA.

Since there are more R/SA vs A, you don't have to consider the roster size requirment for A-ball so much. 3-4 Rookies will easily provide 2 A-balls with players. (lumping A and A+ together even if slightly different rules for service time, because it's asthetic only relative to the game).

*** if/when they fix the FA signing issue... you can use # of draft rounds LESS THAN # of rounds of players created to reduce the chances a team has 70-100 players on a rookie team... (like 30 rounds in the draft and 40 rounds worth of players made) ... as of recently those extra created players for draft would rot in FA.

essentially you can find a happy zone of Rounds in the draft to satisfy majority of the league, then allow the teams with "extra" layers of Rookie teams to sign the excess players created that are not invovled in the draft. as needed.

players in added rounds (30+ to be safe) are all the same quality, really... complete crap, loll with a huge hole in their game ... e.g. a pitcher with 1/200 movement or control mixed in with other not-so-bad ratings etc...

Last edited by NoOne; 06-13-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi425HP View Post
After reading a bunch of threads I'm running with a combination of roster size limits and service time limits as follows:

Roster Size
  • AAA No Limit
  • AA 25 Players
  • A+ 25 Players
  • A 25 Players
  • A- 35 Players
  • R No Limit

Service Time
  • AAA No Limit
  • AA No Limit
  • A+ 6 years
  • A 5 years
  • A- 4 years
  • R 3 years

We'll see how it goes.

A MLB rookie here how does service time work? How can i set it and what does it do?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
endgame
Hall Of Famer

These have proven to work well, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Here are the limits I am playing with and everything seems to be working out hunky dory. Note, that if you try to make the rookie league limits lower than what I have, the AI will have a hard time filling their roster.

Level - Age/Pro Years
MLB - No Limits
AAA - No Limits
AA - No Limits
A+ - 28/5
A - 26/4
SA - 25/3
R - 24/2

Even though there are no limits on AA, it is not full of 30+ year olds. For instance, in the Texas League, of the Top 25 players in AB, only 2 are 30 or older. 12 are 25 or younger. Of the top 25 in IP, only 2 are 30 and none older. 19 are 25 or younger at the end of the season.

This is a 32 team league with a 30 rd. draft.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Question is with me creating two expansion franchises and using the numbers above... is there really a difference between having 2 rookie teams besides all 40 rookies using MLB real draft for 40 rounds splitting them between both rookie clubs and getting every day pitching and batting time
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
Roovin
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
1 layer rookie - AAA? wild, no restrictions - ~20 is enough... you probably want 25-30 to be safe.

4*25 = 100players in 4 years to cover 1 rookie (35) a-(25) maybe 1/2 of 2 A's (25) so ~85ish... should be fine. you definitly want more, because the ai will not be as efficient as you are at filling for need when necessary... that's why you want ~35+ in the lowest tier...some ai teams may have 27pitchers and 13 position players and vice versa... shouldn't get worse than roughly that ratio, if i recall.

fyi, "3" years service time max means 4 years of playing time, because a player doesn't accumulate service time until after a season completes, if qualified.

A and A+ are name only - in case that mattered to you. service time can make it step a bit.

afterthought, the roster limit of 25 might force callups for dl trips, i'd be curious about that behaviour.
I'm curious, what do you mean by "~20 should be enough"? Is that # of draft rounds?
Roovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

sabres -
they don't all go to rookie leagues... some college and fewer HS kids will be placed above rookie leagues and be rated for such advancement too.

figure most players after round ~15 are almost guranteed to go to rookie leagues. deduct from total rounds and multiply by # of years allowed in rookie (if limited) and that tells you how many players you are providing to rookie clubs -- rough estimate.

35-15=20 rounds ... in this exampl 2 years allowed =40 players, 3 years =60 players etc...

so if its ~40 players i'd stick to 1 rookie clup... if it's ~70players i'd want 2 rookie levels. grey area in between? upto you. you'll probably want to make sure additional players are created above max # of draft rounds so there is a FA market to fill the gap.

Roovin -
yeah, i meant 20 rounds for that particular setup. it has been enough in the past in my expereince and in the long-term for a 1-layer mil system throughout. 1 rookie, 1 a etc... # of levels is not important, but how many teams at each level is.

all about rate of change, not any constant value at any particular time.

any additional or eccentric rules/requirements per level need to be taken into consideration...

for example: you have 1 rookie league but only allow 2 years there... 20 rounds will not be enough for that situation... at some point if not a rampant problem all the time.

at the least you'll have recently drafted players forced into lower levels due to service time rather than ability.

That last part is exactly why you need to stay away from age limits for the most part in anything below AA (AAA is its own monster). plenty of 22-24year olds will be drafted that NEED to be in rookie leagues for a few years... if you have a max of 21-22 that means a tone of underqualified lower draft picks are playing in short A or worse A-ball when they have contact rating of ~20/100... ie not good enough

just work the math... 10-15 players might be placed above rookie any given year... and work up from there...
how many rounds do you have?
what sort of limitations do you have at each Level of MiL?
are you creating a bottleneck?
are you causing any odd placement of players?

that last one is tough. i think the AI is absolutely terrible with prospects.. i see great ones in R that are good enough for AAA. more often when i have a bad system in place, but still rampant otherwise.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-13-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

In my experience the AI goes bat**** crazy with no roster limits on the minors. One team literally had 107 players on the roster.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if i didn't asterisk it... definitely use service time maximums and you have to have the right # of rounds in the draft.

any 'uneven' # of MiL teams per MLB (like one team having 2 rookie teams and another having 4) will cause more deviation than what i note below:

i don't limit rosters at all... out of 30 teams, each having 1aaa 1aa 2a 1sa 3r, i saw 2 teams with >50 players all at my 2nd A level. i allow 1 more year there... i'm going to change it to equal max service time and hopefully it evens out... 35each at that level.

# of rounds needed is just understanding rate of change relative to how long you allow them to 'be' at any particular level. erring on the side of inclusive is best as far as how long of a leash you give without letting rosters get too large.

while # of rounds will be different for all... if you use a similar time/age requirements for each level you shouldn't need roster limits. roster limits have unintended side effects, involving stockpiling and slowing pace of development.. need to fill those rosters so it delays promotions in some situations. service time limits and age limits can do the same thing if you don't err on the side of "inclusive"

25-32 is typical. >50 is very rare and mostly inconsequential if oyu use "start potential" for MiL rosters in the settings. when you move them to a-ball the accuracy improves almost immediately.

40 rounds provides for:

R.. - 2 svc time max

Short A - 3 svc time max (only 1 year difference because it's not a "full" step up)

A.. - 4svc time max, 24 age max
A+. - 5 svc time max, 25 age max
(allows an 17/18 year old to be 22/23 - 24/25 in my a-ball leagues. i also start to use age limits at this point. there is no difference just because i put a "+" after A -- don't want to confuse. i do want to elimiinate that occasional bunching of players at this A+ level. but this is as best as i've ever gotten it to work leageu-wide)

AA - age max only -- 26/27 is good. 27 should be safe as far as end of any serious development strides, and they can still go to AAA, so they are not tossed out on street. they still have another year or two to improve, but if they aren't good enough for AAA at that point it's not going to happen.

Best suggestion to setting it up -- "Keep It Simple, (Stupid)" - KIS(S) Principle. i guess the kids nowadays don't have much of a sense of humor.. they typically remove the "Stupid" part more recently. i think it's a very important part to the platitude.

I'm regularly changing it up slightly, but willing to revery when i see it go wrong... if yo went through what i suggested on thsi same topic over last year, this one may be the best at the moment, but many have worked well... offered some stinkers before.