Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

New to FHM- A few Questions

I read the manual and I am missing these answers.
1) Lines->Goalie Starts
Choose 0-4, 0 means AI default? 4 means always or always unless overridden by fatigue? It looks like about 1/3 of the NHL had goalies with 60+ starts in 2015-16. Should I assume 4 will give high 60's starts if players stay healthy?

2) When I try to offer a contract to some FAs I get a message that says "Signing Not Possible". What is this referring to? Is it the wrong time of the year for that player?

3) Is there a way to show all of the players in an organization from the roster screen?

4) Is there a simple way to navigate to another teams minor league teams? I never know the name of minor league hockey teams and finding an organizations minor league teams is treasure-hunt~ish without an X or a map.

There are more. I will post again.

Thanks,
Tom (LP)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

3) & 4) I think I have it, Roster->Protected List.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

5) Is there a way to view all of the players in the league/universe?

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 12-30-2018 at 07:41 PM.
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

1) The 0-4 numbers are weightings, relative to the weightings you've set in the other categories. If you have 4 set for "Start the best goalie" and 0 for everything else, that will be the overwhelming priority when the starting goalie is chosen and will probably result in the backup only starting a handful of games at most. Conversely, if it's at 0 and everything else at 4, the quality of the goalies will be a non-factor in selecting the starter, and the game will prioritize the other criteria like who's hottest, best-rested, etc.

2) That's the most common cause of that response, yes. I think it'll also give you that response if you're in a league with a draft and the player hasn't gone through a draft yet, or a few situations where the player is already under contract in another league and you can't offer him a contract directly for that reason.

3/4) Right, protected list is the easiest way of seeing that, or the Depth Chart on the team menu.

5) Click the magnifying glass in the search box at the top of the screen, it'll open the player search screen and you can filter that by specific leagues, nationalities, ages, etc., or just leave it unfiltered and it'll show you everybody.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Thank you.

6) Finances: When a player is released or cut. Not waived.
The team pays the remainder of their owed salary including future years?
How is the salary counted against the cap? Does a percentage still count against the salary cap or is the entire salary removed from the Cap Hit?

I think I am referring to "Buying out a players rights".

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 12-30-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I like the Save Game As option in the File menu- in game, good addition.
That is an easy way to manage rolling backups.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Thank you.

6) Finances: When a player is released or cut. Not waived.
The team pays the remainder of their owed salary including future years?
How is the salary counted against the cap? Does a percentage still count against the salary cap or is the entire salary removed from the Cap Hit?

I think I am referring to "Buying out a players rights".
It's a little complicated for the NHL - basically, the team pays a fraction of the remaining money owed, and then the total cap value is reduced a bit and spread over a period 2x the length remaning on the contract.

The actual cash amount of the buyout depends on the player's age: 25 or under, it's 1/3 of the remaining contract value, 26 or older it's 2/3.

The cap hit is where it gets complicated. Capfriendly.com has a good explanation of the step-by-step process to calculate that at https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq , and they also have (under "calculators") a buyout calculator so you can see how it works in practice - Ryan Ellis has a good contract to use with that, it'll show you the odd year-to-year variations in cap hits that can result from a buyout.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

7) Is there a place where I can see all of the contract offers I have made and are pending?
I though it would be RFA\Offers Sheet but I made an offer and it is not listed there.

8) Is there a League Finances screen?
Is there a way to check that every team is under the cap?

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 01-01-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:57 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

7 - it's on your home screen (house icon above the menu bar, beside the email alert) - there's an "Open Offers" section there.
8 - no leaguewide finances screen, to check the cap status of the teams you would have to open the team finances screen and then cycle through them with the navigation arrows beside the team name.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
redtiger7
All Star Starter

7) Each of those sections on the screen has a down arrow you can click on to set it to give you various bits of info, including open offers
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #11
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Found the manager home screen, thank you.

9) I started a Blues franchise, I selected July 1st if that matters. I am trying to sign my draft picks and after 4-5 offers I receive a message that I have the maximum contracts... offered or signed?
I am not sure what this refers to. I cut 4 players and it let me offer one more contract then I received the error again.
Is there a screen that shows me the information about offered contracts and the number of players I can have under contract?

Thank you for all of the responses. I am very happy to be an FHM customer.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #12
JeffR
FHM Producer

You're limited to 50 contracts maximum in the NHL - it'll show a #/50 on the Contracts tab of the team screen to show you how many you currrently have, and once you hit 50, you can't sign anyone else. You can actually get a little above 50 temporarily, since 18-19-yeard old players signed to NHL contracts but returned to their junior teams don't count against the limit, but once they're returned to you you'll need to get back to 50 or less.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #13
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:53 PM   #14
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

10) Does player potential increase or decrease over the course of a career? Do young players receive increases to potential or is it static?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:41 AM   #15
JeffR
FHM Producer

Only for some players. A few of them will be tagged with variable potential, so it will increase or decrease during their career. And the potentials themselves aren't hard limits - it's possible to exceed them, but the rate of improvement gets much slower once the listed potential is reached.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 AM   #16
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

The "variable potential" is a hidden rating/tag?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:59 AM   #17
JeffR
FHM Producer

Semi-hidden. If it is, the scout may add a comment about volatile potential in the Potential section of the player's scouting report. But the scouts aren't necessarily accurate about that - depending on the scout's skill, they'll miss some players who do have the tag, and occasionally make the comment about players who don't have it.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Is there a general aging/development curve in FHM?
Like: Prime development years are 20-25?
Once a player is 26 he has probably reached his potential?
A 20 year old player has probably just started to develop. Watching for improvement over the next 2-5 seasons is common.

I have a handle on baseball and football but I have no idea about hockey/FHM aging and development.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
JeffR
FHM Producer

It varies significantly by player, of course, but in very general terms the curve is faster than baseball. The players will develop most rapidly in their late teens/early 20's and usually peak in their mid-late 20's (big gaps between their current rating and potential at that point are probably insurmountable), and the ones that are still active at that age will normally begin declining in their early-mid 30's. Forwards will develop the fastest, defencemen will be a bit slower, and goalies slower than defencemen. Physical abilities will peak the fastest, offensive/defensive skills a little later, and mental development will be slower but will continue much later.

The development curve can be altered in the Game Setup screen by changing the Player Peak Age and Physical Peak Age numbers, but a couple of things to be aware of: 1) those aren't literal peak ages, just a baseline used to determine where the real peak falls and 2) making big changes there can break development badly.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 AM   #20
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I just completed my first training camp and I have the Development report. Love it.
Is there another one through the season or at years end?
Are there reports on individual players during the season?
Is there a way to see these developments without looking at each players individual ratings?