Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Mark42661
All Star Starter

Punches Landed

I posted this in the Mods section, but got no response... and I really need some opinions on this:

I need some opinions from those who have used Dean's ratings. While he increases hitting power on some fighters, he doesn't increase the 3 point punches. Do you adjust the 3 point punches yourself? Or do you just leave them alone? I hope my question makes sense.

An example would be a fighter who's default hitting power is 7 and he has the standard 25 3 point punches that goes along with it. Dean raises his hitting power to 8, which almost always has 30 3 point punches, but he doesn't make that adjustment.

Another more extreme example is the fighter Marty Monroe. Dean raised his hitting power to 8, but he only has 12 3 point punches, while a hitting power of 8 would normally have 30 3 point punches. This, of course, would have a profound affect on his performance.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 10-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

I don't use Dean's ratings, but understand your question.

You're right on the formula but maybe Dean had his reasons? Sorry not much more help than that.

Have you ran tests with some of his fighters to see how they hold up.

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

There is a formula for the 3-point punches and punching power relation. An example is a (1) punching power rating receives (0-3) in 3-point punch points. Harry Greb is an example where this doesn't apply. When adjusting his rating, it didn't perform accurately without adjusting the 3-point rating up slightly.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Mark42661
All Star Starter

After further testing I've come to the conclusion that Dean was actually very accurate with the 3 point to 2 point ratio for the fighters he rated.

For example, In my 1978 universe I replayed the first Muhammad Ali - Leon Spinks fight with Ali at the end stage of his career and Spinks in the prime stage and Spinks won a very narrow decision by the scores of 143-142, 144-142 and 144-141. In real life the scores were very similar. It was one of the most exciting Title Bout fights I've ever seen!

I ran many more fights to with Dean's ratings and found the results to be very good. So the lesson here is don't mess with the punches landed if you use fighters with his ratings.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Cap
Hall Of Famer

I have Jim Trunzo's manual for TB 2.0 and I'm wondering if what he refers to as Punching Effectiveness (3 point punches) still applies for 2.5 and beyond. He states a fighter's 2pt and 3pt punches must add up to 100 and the key factor is not how you assign the points by category or type of punch but rather how many 3pt punches are assigned.

HP 1: 0-3
HP 2: 3-5
HP 3: 6-9
HP 4: 10-12
HP 5: 13-15
HP 6: 16-20
HP 7: 21-25
HP 8: 26-30
HP 9: 31-36
HP 10: 37-42
HP 11: 42-44
HP 12: 45-47
HP 13: 48-50
HP 14: 51-54

Interesting that in each case the last point of one HP is one point less than the first point of the next HP. HP 6: 16-20 and HP 7: 21-25. Only exception is between HP 10 and 11. Don't know if that means anything.

Going through some of my boxers I find that some follow this assignment of 3pts and others do not. But then in my case, I've got boxers from all over the place. Some I created from scratch, some I copied and altered, some I got from other players.

Cap
Old 12-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
I have Jim Trunzo's manual for TB 2.0 and I'm wondering if what he refers to as Punching Effectiveness (3 point punches) still applies for 2.5 and beyond. He states a fighter's 2pt and 3pt punches must add up to 100 and the key factor is not how you assign the points by category or type of punch but rather how many 3pt punches are assigned.

HP 1: 0-3
HP 2: 3-5
HP 3: 6-9
HP 4: 10-12
HP 5: 13-15
HP 6: 16-20
HP 7: 21-25
HP 8: 26-30
HP 9: 31-36
HP 10: 37-42
HP 11: 42-44
HP 12: 45-47
HP 13: 48-50
HP 14: 51-54

Interesting that in each case the last point of one HP is one point less than the first point of the next HP. HP 6: 16-20 and HP 7: 21-25. Only exception is between HP 10 and 11. Don't know if that means anything.

Going through some of my boxers I find that some follow this assignment of 3pts and others do not. But then in my case, I've got boxers from all over the place. Some I created from scratch, some I copied and altered, some I got from other players.

Cap
I use this as a baseline fir my fighter creations

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

Interesting situations but I have posted in the past very LOPSIDED punches MISSED (if i remember right 87 in a round) its here somewhere....
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #8
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Like most of you, I follow the Trunzo formula...but only as the point of reference. And I do it on a case-by-case basis. Dean's system, nevertheless, is pretty good.

I'm more inclined to derive my ratings on the sub-zero rating system created by Chris a number of years ago.

I think that fighter's power is measured against the strength of the opponent's jaw. So in my view, to name just a few, Harley Breshears, Lamar Clark, Bowie Adams, and Duane Bobick have all be given far too much punching power.

We all need to remember that these individual qualities (i.e., power, punches landed, punches missed, defense, etc.) don't stand in isolation but rather, are symbiotically related.

And of course, in the end, all ratings are subjective.

Last edited by professordp; 12-29-2017 at 12:56 AM.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote