Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #341
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
1. Electronic sign stealing has not been going on for 100 years.
The Phillies were doing it in 1909 by having someone relay signals from center field to a buzzer that was buried in the ground by third base. Someone was probably doing it earlier but Google is more effort than I'm willing to expend at the moment.

"I was very fortunate to have a pitching coach by the name of Tom House...Tom, I really miss those days that we spent in the weight room and out on the field working together."
-- Nolan Ryan's HoF Induction Speech
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #342
low
Hall Of Famer

You know what hasn't happened yet but is already bugging me? Pitchers and managers getting punished for beaning these cheating, lying a-holes who didn't get punished.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #343
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
You know what hasn't happened yet but is already bugging me? Pitchers and managers getting punished for beaning these cheating, lying a-holes who didn't get punished.
Dodgers' pitcher Alex Wood, on Thursday:

“Somebody will take it into their own hands, and they’ll get suspended more games than any of those guys got for the biggest cheating scandal in 100 years,” he said. “It’ll be pretty ironic when that happens, because I’m sure that’s how it’ll end up playing out.”

Assuming a beaning happens at least a few times over the course of the season, each time it happens and the subsequent suspension of the pitcher is announced, it will bring the issue - of how the players got away with it - right back to the forefront.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #344
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Hi folks. I'm starting a new OOTP game. I'm calling the league the Disreputable League. I need some team names. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Black Sox
Astros
Hitmen
Loan Sharks
Roses
Raiders
Senators

Its a ten team league so I need three more. Thanks for your help.
Start a new thread with a poll.
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #345
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer

I am NOT reading this entire thread.

Have had this story on ignore ever since it broke, but I haven't shared any opinions on it yet.

Have they decided how long the perps will be suspended for?

They should be banned for life. This kind of scandal is just as bad as the Black Sox thing. Just as bad as Pete Rose, too.

If they don't ban those involved in this scheme for life, they should consider allowing Rose into the HOF...with an asterisk maybe, but what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #346
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Ok, i stand corrected on the 1st point. Does not erase the main thought from the rest of my post. MLB said they would get tough, Astros and RSox said "hold my beer", Manfred still did nothing to the perpetrators. So fans and the other franchises have a legit gripe.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #347
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Ok, i stand corrected on the 1st point. Does not erase the main thought from the rest of my post.
Nope, I can totally see where you're coming from on your other points
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #348
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Cherry View Post
Manchester City just became the Houston Astros of the English Premier League in soccer when they received a two year ban from Champions League competition for Financial Fair Play violations.
Not comparable, spending too much money isn't the same as cheating.
campinginalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #349
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Here's the honest to god truth -

This witchhunt and overall just frenzy of "Waaaah the Astros didn't get punished enough!" is hilarious to me. Most severe ever against a team and worst ever sanctions in baseball history, players didn't get suspended or banned cause they came out and cooperated with the MLB, Hinch and Luhnow got suspended which basically just doomed the Astros for the next 2 seasons if the loss of draft picks didn't do it for them.

I must say though it's getting rather stretchy as time goes on, I read on Reddit before someone saying the Astros aren't a good team and this proves it... they nearly got a ring this past season without any sign-stealing.

My point anyway, blaming the players for this is pretty ridiculous, and then theres a witchhunt against players like Altuve who didn't participate at all.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #350
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
I think you mean "Here's my honest opinion."

Quote:

My point anyway, blaming the players for this is pretty ridiculous, and then theres a witchhunt against players like Altuve who didn't participate at all.
The players orchestrated it. The players made use of it......but blaming the players is ridiculous...........

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #351
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This witchhunt and overall just frenzy of "Waaaah the Astros didn't get punished enough!" is hilarious to me. Most severe ever against a team and worst ever sanctions in baseball history, players didn't get suspended or banned cause they came out and cooperated with the MLB, Hinch and Luhnow got suspended which basically just doomed the Astros for the next 2 seasons if the loss of draft picks didn't do it for them.

I must say though it's getting rather stretchy as time goes on, I read on Reddit before someone saying the Astros aren't a good team and this proves it... they nearly got a ring this past season without any sign-stealing.

Found the Astros fan. First, who says they didn't cheat last year? Correa? Come on, man. And Altuve definitely took part. There's a handy and reliable chart floating around which shows you exactly what percentage of players were using the trashcan cheat. Have you not seen the reports? And how about the conflicting lies relating to his jersey not being ripped off? First, Altuve said he was shy, then he said his wife gets jealous, and now it was because he got a crappy tattoo according to his scumbag teammate. Take off your blue and orange tinted glasses and get real.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #352
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is the stupidest thing Ive read all year, and I spend a lot of time on the internet

Blaming the players who cheated for cheating is ridiculous? What?
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 AM   #353
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The players orchestrated it. The players made use of it......but blaming the players is ridiculous...........
The players also told MLB about what happened, which is why none of them are being punished. That's what immunity means. MLB needed their cooperation to do anything.

"I was very fortunate to have a pitching coach by the name of Tom House...Tom, I really miss those days that we spent in the weight room and out on the field working together."
-- Nolan Ryan's HoF Induction Speech
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:29 AM   #354
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
The players also told MLB about what happened, which is why none of them are being punished. That's what immunity means. MLB needed their cooperation to do anything.
Some local yokel with a spreadsheet figured it out. No one can tell me MLB w/its billions of revenue couldn't hire someone to investigate things and find out what's what. They gave immunity because they were too lazy and cheap.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #355
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
This is the stupidest thing Ive read all year, and I spend a lot of time on the internet

Blaming the players who cheated for cheating is ridiculous? What?
They are quite literally the reason we are seeing an Astros punishment, the MLB had zero evidence without them. A lot of them also came out to say they didn't like the system but felt pressured into it.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #356
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Some local yokel with a spreadsheet figured it out. No one can tell me MLB w/its billions of revenue couldn't hire someone to investigate things and find out what's what. They gave immunity because they were too lazy and cheap.
Also because if you're going to enforce the worst sanctions to ever hit a team in MLB history you're going to want more than "oh yeah we have some spreadsheet and some trash can sounds", players testifying is the best thing you can get.

In 2017, the MLB caught the Yankees and Red Sox' sign-stealing, they weren't able to do much, players didn't want to come out and say they were (obviously) so "oh yeah lets just fine them."

Last edited by campinginalaska; 02-16-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #357
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Dusty is sad that everyone is being mean to his group of cheaters.

Manfraud claims you cant blame the players because the GM didnt share the memo telling them not to cheat.

They deserve to start taking fastballs to the head.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #358
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
A lot of them also came out to say they didn't like the system but felt pressured into it.

I know I'm responding to a homer who will never blame the Astro players for anything, but these are grown men, not 12 year olds
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #359
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And stupid. MLB didn't know how to handle an investigation like this.

Start off with someone who knows but with a low amount of participation. Like a pitcher. Offer him full immunity. Then take his information and go to someone with a higher but still low amount of participation. Like a bench player. Offer him a reduced punishment.

Following that they'd have all they needed on the top guys without having to make any concessions. And the ability to hand out appropriate punishment for most of the offenders.
Brad K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #360
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpkns34 View Post
I know I'm responding to a homer who will never blame the Astro players for anything, but these are grown men, not 12 year olds
Plus there's the fact that Tony Kemp as a freshly called up rookie was able to tell people not to do it during his at-bats and as a result there was no banging during his at-bats.

Yet somehow Jose Altuve didn't have enough sway in the clubhouse to stay out of it if he wanted too? Sure, that's believable.