Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 08-24-2019, 12:39 AM   #1
batrightythrowlefty
Minors (Rookie Ball)

4 man rotation league, stats question

Hey guys, just a question regarding my fictional league. I like where the hitting numbers and league ERA numbers are at, but SPs typically have higher league leading ERAs than I would like. League ERA is consistently a little over 4 each year, but there are only around 4 SPs total with a league ERA below 3. How do I go about fixing this problem?

Keep in mind it's a 4 man rotation league with 152 games.
batrightythrowlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by batrightythrowlefty View Post
Hey guys, just a question regarding my fictional league. I like where the hitting numbers and league ERA numbers are at, but SPs typically have higher league leading ERAs than I would like. League ERA is consistently a little over 4 each year, but there are only around 4 SPs total with a league ERA below 3. How do I go about fixing this problem?

Keep in mind it's a 4 man rotation league with 152 games.
If these are randomly generated players, then there isn't an issue.

With only four starters per team, and perhaps 20 teams, you only have 80 chances to generate a true star player.

Look at the ratings for your starters, and see how many have 5-stars, and how many have fewer. You may find that there are just a few great players generated for your league.

You can manually edit players to make them better, but I am not comfortable doing that. A fictional league does its own thing..and as long as I don't have softball scores, I am generally OK with the results. Thirty years ago, 73 home runs in a season was unthinkable...but now, 300 strikeouts with 80 home runs is absolutely possible in the next year or two.
dsvitak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
batrightythrowlefty
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
If these are randomly generated players, then there isn't an issue.

With only four starters per team, and perhaps 20 teams, you only have 80 chances to generate a true star player.

Look at the ratings for your starters, and see how many have 5-stars, and how many have fewer. You may find that there are just a few great players generated for your league.

You can manually edit players to make them better, but I am not comfortable doing that. A fictional league does its own thing..and as long as I don't have softball scores, I am generally OK with the results. Thirty years ago, 73 home runs in a season was unthinkable...but now, 300 strikeouts with 80 home runs is absolutely possible in the next year or two.
24 teams. I’d have to check 4-5 star pitchers. League creation modifiers are 1.000. For example there’s 30 players with 80+ power (1-100 scale)
batrightythrowlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

this won't always work, but worth a shot.

if you increase offense a bit, somtimes it creates greater stratificaion amongst your pitchers, which can actually result in a lower league-leading era.

i'd also consider that you have fewer teams.. .so if comparing to mlb, you need to expect less (increased volatility of leading ERA) with fewer opportunities in this regard.

you also may just want to keep playing and see if early results are common or rare.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote