Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
deakscauz
Bat Boy

A few quick questions

I've been playing OOTP Baseball for around 6 years, but finally got into FHM 3 last year, and now 4 this year. I'm really enjoying it, but I had a few quick questions that my Googlefu couldn't answer.

Team Objective

So when starting a league (I always play in commissioner mode for roster edits) and going to manager to select a job, many teams that I feel shouldn't be rebuilding (such as Nashville) are showing that as their team objective. Is there a way to fix this? I think there was kind of a roundabout way to accomplish this in the OOTP baseball, but I am still getting used to the differences with FHM. If this option isn't quite in yet, is it something the developers have considered adding for future releases? Also, does this objective really even matter (i.e., will the GM trade away current assets for future assets, etc.)

Retaining Salary

I found some older posts regarding retaining salary, and it looks like it wasn't included in FHM 3, so I'm assuming that this also has yet to be included due to the salary cap nuances? Just making sure I'm not missing the option.

Controlling Farm Teams

I prefer to play in GM mode only, and I was curious how the control farm teams options affects the usage of players. I ask this because I won't be assigning lines or strategies, but I can still manipulate whether a player is dressed or not as the GM (though this might be because I play in commissioner mode.) Has anyone played around with these options and have any feedback by chance?

Scouting

Has anyone tested whether it's better to scout with a focus on draft eligible players vs just a league or geographical area? I ask because I like to rebuild, and I'm wondering if scouting the league would be preferable as then it should be scouting not only draft eligible players, but possible prospects to trade for. I know this is probably a preference of the GM, but I'd love some input.

Anyways, sorry for such a long post, but I'm really enjoying my time with FHM 4, and would love to get some of the system mastery down that really allows the game to shine. Thanks again for any input.
deakscauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:23 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

No way to adjust the starting goals manually right now. I want to rework how they're set, but we're also strongly considering going to an OOTP-style owner goals system (to the point where we actually got the code for it from Matt last summer, but there wasn't enough time to do it properly.) So we may hold off until we can do a full overhaul. I definitely want the owner AI to put more of an emphasis on things like recent performance, rather than just the roster strength like it does now.

The usage settings for farm teams basically decide how much weight the AI assigns to potential for its players when setting lineups. None at all if you tell it to use its best players, treating the players as if they were close to being developed to their full potential if you tell it to use prospects, or a mixed approach.

I'd use the majority of your scouts on draft-eligible, but you still want some looking at the league/region in general to keep your reports on guys from previous drafts reasonably fresh. If that means you're a little thin on guys looking at post-draft players, you can have them prioritize quantity of reports if they're spread a little thin, so as many people as possible get a look.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote