Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #21
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

It was interesting to watch some players dump high cards on the auction house after they fell out of the race in order to rebuild with proceeds from players trying to get that key player to put them over the top or help in the playoffs. Very realistic. The same approach is playing out in the offseason with players selling from positions of strength to shore up weak areas with other players’ auctioned excess. Some pretty good players available (Rizzo, Greinke) not counting the mean player who listed a perfect Trout for more PP than anyone could possibly have just to taunt us.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #22
AdamD
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan W. View Post
What I'm trying to say is that, while having the gold and diamond cards are nice, it is possible to build a VERY competitive team with Bronze and Silver level players. As Orcin mentioned, the winner of the league had one Gold card.
I'm not saying you are wrong but the ability to buy packs with money wasn't available so we don't know how much of an effect buying packs will have.

I'm still looking forward to this game mode and am excited to play it.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #23
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Yes, the system to buy PP with real money is not yet enabled.
Sadly, this will only be in the Private and public Beta. Once the full version gets released, the money players will have the better teams and there will be races for the haves and lower stuff for the have nots. Not looking forward to this as much as I once was but I guess I'l give it a shot. Without a doubt, this will be just the same as every other pay to win mode in all the games. Such a shame
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Sadly, this will only be in the Private and public Beta. Once the full version gets released, the money players will have the better teams and there will be races for the haves and lower stuff for the have nots. Not looking forward to this as much as I once was but I guess I'l give it a shot. Without a doubt, this will be just the same as every other pay to win mode in all the games. Such a shame
Just curious... what is wrong with having fun in the lower levels of the league?

I play Hearthstone F2P and I never get over level 15 or so, but I still enjoy beating someone at my level. When I lose to a whale on the way up, it doesn't bother me because I know he won't be a 15-20 player for long.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #25
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I have no delusions of winning it all.

I want to collect players to build the team, try to set my lineup and preferences to give them the best possible chance to win and see how it goes. I don't care if I am in the top division or the bottom division of the league.

We'll see how it goes but I don't see a few whales impacting my enjoyment of the mode much at all. I don't see it being similar to other games where a diamond card in the hands of a skilled player becomes a god.

Last edited by Maddox; 10-30-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #26
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Paying more $ to buy cards

I too am totally disappointed in the Perfect Team game. Paying real $$ to buy player cards is unfair and those who can afford it have the advantage. Boo to OOTP developers on this one.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #27
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

An update from the new 'forced-F2P' perspective, to balance the 'whale' experience earlier when packs were freely available:

With everyone working under similar constraints, the first season was incredibly fun and balanced. People all leaned into different strategies, and the most (relatively) stacked teams didn't dominate as much as might've been expected. The few Perfect or high-level Diamond cards people were lucky enough to pull couldn't carry their teams to a WS victory, just like Trout alone can't in real life.

I got a relatively poor (though not terrible) set of cards just looking at their numbers/rarity, but was able to build a team that snuck into a wildcard game by customizing my ballpark and strategy to fit the strengths of players I did have. Most of them over-performed their rankings. I only had two gold cards, a half dozen or fewer silvers, and the rest were bronze or standard, but I ended up only a few games back from a team with Hank Aaron, Roger Maris, Jose Reyes, Marquis Grissom, and a variety of other great players. It's a lot of fun finding new ways to use players you wouldn't necessarily look too closely at otherwise, and realizing a low-rated unsung hero from decades past will actually make a great defensive upgrade at a position they never played but have good raw skill at. One of my best players by WAR was a 40-rated card.

I still don't think a team of mostly silvers/bronzes will have the same ability to remain competitive with truly stacked teams we'll eventually see once the mode goes live (i.e. all Gold+, mostly Diamond/Perfect), but there should be plenty of leagues for the player base to sort itself competitively. If my F2P and whale teams played each other, the F2P team would win very rarely. But, those two types of teams don't seem likely to end up in the same league levels.

The Auction House has been an excellent addition as well. Teams looking to build on a budget will have myriad opportunities to make small upgrades for only a few PP, and there are bound to be a few cheap gems to be had when there's a glut at the higher levels for some reason. Very curious to see how the first test season with the AH active the whole time will be...

The experience is starting to feel pretty complete and polished, and I'm a big fan of what I'm seeing as we keep moving towards release.
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #28
edm
All Star Starter

I was kind of excited about this mode until I read about the pay to
'win" model they are going to use, similar to games like the show and topps bunt. Both of which I stopped playing because of.

I know Marcus said above not to judge until we've seen and played it, but the bottom line is, people who don't pay for certain cards will be handicapped.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #29
Ryan W.
Jack of all trades

Location: Somewhere, not sure where. Maybe nearby, maybe far away.
Who says that you have to pay for those cards? You could pull them out of a pack and not pay anything more than the 1000 PT you are given when you start.

I don't think anyone has claimed that you need to pay to win. Everyone wins in different ways. That's the interesting part. Some people may pay for a "loaded" team and fall flat on their face (Hello, 2011 Red Sox!) while some lesser known guys may come into the light. In our last league, Ross Stripling started the All-Star game. There were other Gold and Diamond pitchers out there, but he caught lightning in a bottle.
Ryan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #30
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Limits To Buying cards

Will there be a maximum limit to spend on player packs ? Or is it unlimited spending on buying player packs for real cash ?
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:56 AM   #31
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by strzepeksc View Post
Will there be a maximum limit to spend on player packs ? Or is it unlimited spending on buying player packs for real cash ?
No limit of course.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #32
Mudster
Major Leagues

There will be different level leagues. This will keep the game enjoyable for those not paying cash while still feeling competitive. Think of it as real baseball. If your skill set only takes you to a city league, you're still having a lot of fun playing at that level even though you're not playing college or pro. You might aspire to play at that level, and you could get lucky in your pack pulls to get there, but others will be where you are and you all will have fun trying to win that particular league.
Mudster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #33
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

OK, it's terrible, horrible, Planet X is going to destroy the world any day and the aliens aren't going to pick-up any of the left overs ....

it'll be OK. really. It's not going to be what everyone single person expected or wanted. But it's still playable if you're realistic about what the game is.
in beta testing - i had a really crummy offensive team, but good pitching. i won my division by 4 game, and got slaughtered in the playoffs - swept in the first round and only scored 5 or 6 total runs. But the games were close enough to be interesting.

i tinkered with my line-ups daily (sometimes two or three times a day), trying to move hot players (or warm in this case) up in the line-up. Once in a while i got enough points to get a new player pack (think i got 3 in the season) and managed to get a couple better players offensively. It didn't help all that much in the end. It was my pitching that was my team strength. As has been said before, it'll be competitive for the level you play. If you really want to be top dog in the top league, i don't know. Probably need to get lucky or buy cards. i don't know. it's not completely released yet and with the auction house just opening, there are a variety of ways to build a team. Or you could just play it to see how good you can be with a Tampa or Oakland budget vs. the big spenders. Big spenders, geez, it didn't help the SF Giants much this year, darn it. And after all, it's just a game. i personally think the OOTP team has done a good job in balancing things thus far.

Of course, proof is in the pudding and Nov. 2 is just a day or so away, so we'll see how it all really unfolds. As for myself, i'm not hiding under a blanket in fear of Planet X just yet.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 10-31-2018 at 11:13 AM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #34
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Really looking forward to the release.

I really see no reason that anyone who is even slightly interested in it should not give it a go. Until micro transactions are implemented everyone will be on a level playing field and you can get a good idea of what the mode is all about.

Even with micro transactions implemented I don't see much downside to participating. Spend a few minutes opening packs set up your lineups and strategies and submit the team. As mentioned above, after the season you may have enough points to buy a new pack or two and you may get lucky with good pull. That player could improve your team or maybe you could sell it on the auction house for points and purchase several other improvements.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #35
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No limit of course.
Markus, please be careful dismissing this idea so quickly. There are economic, legal, and moral reasons to at least consider it.

First, I'm guessing that you said 'of course' because it would feel like stupid business practice to limit revenues. Please correct me if my reading of that phrase is incorrect, and you have other reasons for feeling that dismissal is the obvious answer. In any case, if that is the assumption, that's a facile understanding of this type of monetization within the game industry.

Limiting spending in a given time period is actually unlikely to decrease total expenditure of a committed fanbase (i.e. whales, the only ones who would be affected by such a limit), it will simply smooth out the spending over more time. This will keep the whales logging in more often, as opposed to spending a ton of money and then ignoring the game until they feel like spending a bunch more. Wouldn't you at least potentially prefer to have someone with a lot of disposable income spending $100 every day instead of spending that same ~$3,000 once a month?

Legally and morally, this would also help you monitor the type of spending behaviors which you have elsewhere mentioned understanding the imperative nature of keeping an eye on when building this sort of monetization model.

It would help prevent kids from spending more money than they can conceptualize on their parents' dime.

It would offer better data on spending patterns, providing more opportunities to reach out in person by email to check in with customers who demonstrate potentially compulsive, limit-reaching, gambling-addiction-type spending patterns, which might allow you to prevent them from throwing away their life on a game. And again, just in case anyone thinks I'm overstating what can happen or how devastating it can be to players, I'll remind them I've worked at Ubisoft and other game companies on market intelligence and strategic planning, and the team has built something here that is easily fun and addictive enough to ruin lives if precautions aren't taken.

I don't know for sure whether there should or shouldn't be a limit, or where one should be set, but I think there are very strong arguments for a limit, and I can think of few strong arguments against one given the aforementioned facile nature of a revenue-based argument. It seems there is at least an important discussion to be had, if it hasn't been had already (in which case I'd love to hear more about the thought process that went into the dismissal of the idea of limits).

Edit: Also, there are gameplay reasons for considering a limit. Not only does it encourage whales to log in more often, it gives them a more level playing field amongst themselves. You can't just spend until your team is all Perfect at once, though you can over time - in the meantime, you have to play with some skill too. The balance at the top levels, while still stacked compared to low levels, will remain more even, which is a good thing for player retention at all spending levels.

Last edited by el_gringo; 10-31-2018 at 04:44 PM.
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:17 AM   #36
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_gringo View Post
First, I'm guessing that you said 'of course' because it would feel like stupid business practice to limit revenues. Please correct me if my reading of that phrase is incorrect, and you have other reasons for feeling that dismissal is the obvious answer.
Yes, your reading is incorrect. Imagine someone who really enjoys the collection aspect of Perfect Team, but does not care much for the league play, and wants to own all Perfect Cards (which would be the ultimate goal I imagine), and since he is lucky enough to be wealthy, he can afford to heavily invest in PP to pursue his goal. Now imagine, he only has 3 Perfect Cards left to go... and one of them pops up on the auction house. He wants to load up on PP to go after it.... and suddenly the game tells him "Sorry dude, you cannot spend any more money.". That would be just wrong. It would wreck the gameplay for this user group.

I am aware of your other arguments, but won't go down that rabbit hole again. This topic has already been discussed at length elsewhere.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 11-01-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #37
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Markus: Are there a limit to “Perfect Cards?” Because what you write says there is but what is real is that more pixels can be created at will. Thus the “goal” is unattainable.

If you are asserting that there is a limit, “only three to go” what is the limit.

I call B.S.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #38
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Markus: Are there a limit to “Perfect Cards?” Because what you write says there is but what is real is that more pixels can be created at will. Thus the “goal” is unattainable.

If you are asserting that there is a limit, “only three to go” what is the limit.
We have 32 Perfect Cards. That is the limit, and we won't change that number for OOTP 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
I call B.S.
You can call it whatever you like. That doesn't turn facts into B.S. though
Old 11-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #39
AdamD
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We have 32 Perfect Cards. That is the limit, and we won't change that number for OOTP 19.
Are there any plans for promotional or special event cards to commemorate events that occur as the season plays out (obviously for OOTP 20)?

For example All-Star cards or a special player card for someone if they throw a perfect game or hit 4 HRs in a game?

I think that would be pretty neat but I can see some people disliking this idea because it moves the goal post for collectors.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #40
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
Are there any plans for promotional or special event cards to commemorate events that occur as the season plays out (obviously for OOTP 20)?

For example All-Star cards or a special player card for someone if they throw a perfect game or hit 4 HRs in a game?

I think that would be pretty neat but I can see some people disliking this idea because it moves the goal post for collectors.
Yes, we will have special cards for special occasions in OOTP 20, for example the All-Star Game. These will end up in a special category, so collectors can ignore that category if they want to.