Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

All kinds of playoff pitching problems.

Hello all,

In my full sim league, I made the playoffs and had a 5-game series against Toronto. I've made the playoffs before and haven't noticed these (except #3 below) before but I'm wondering if anyone knows what is going on?

1) Even though my entire staff was fully rested and I had it set to start the #1 spot, I noticed after game one that my team started my #3 starter instead. So that sort of sucked and I have no idea why that happened - my pitching says "Strict Order" so I have no idea why they would have went with the #3 guy. Oh well.

2) The bigger issue is, I have it set to "No" to allow SP in Relief. But, in game four of my series the starter was pulled early and the team ran out potential game five starter for two innings, then went to the actual bullpen - which was ranked #1 in the AL and had many good options. Then, in game five, it literally used every one of my starters in relief.

3) I feel like the starters get pulled too soon in the playoffs, my guys - even the really good ones - were getting pulled after 4 innings/60 or 65 pitches. Going back to #2 above, my game 5 starter that relieved in game 4 was still at 94% rested so I started him - he made it 50 pitches and 2.1 innings before being pulled. He hadn't allowed a run, and didn't get an injury.

Anyway, based on above I feel like maybe there are some special playoff settings or strategy I'm missing.
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
El Nino
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I played out playoff games myself but I have noticed AI managers approaching starters differently in playoffs in OOTP19. As you said they sometimes put in future starters to relief and messes up the schedule. As for starter early exit, I've noticed that AI tend to pull a starter if he just had a bad inning. It doesn't matter if he was cruising through 3, if he walks a couple, gets hit hard a few times in the fourth and gave up some runs, he is likely out of the game. I think the developers may be trying to reflect real world changes in starter use, but imo the change is a bit too much.
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzizzle View Post
Hello all,

In my full sim league, I made the playoffs and had a 5-game series against Toronto. I've made the playoffs before and haven't noticed these (except #3 below) before but I'm wondering if anyone knows what is going on?

1) Even though my entire staff was fully rested and I had it set to start the #1 spot, I noticed after game one that my team started my #3 starter instead. So that sort of sucked and I have no idea why that happened - my pitching says "Strict Order" so I have no idea why they would have went with the #3 guy. Oh well.

2) The bigger issue is, I have it set to "No" to allow SP in Relief. But, in game four of my series the starter was pulled early and the team ran out potential game five starter for two innings, then went to the actual bullpen - which was ranked #1 in the AL and had many good options. Then, in game five, it literally used every one of my starters in relief.

3) I feel like the starters get pulled too soon in the playoffs, my guys - even the really good ones - were getting pulled after 4 innings/60 or 65 pitches. Going back to #2 above, my game 5 starter that relieved in game 4 was still at 94% rested so I started him - he made it 50 pitches and 2.1 innings before being pulled. He hadn't allowed a run, and didn't get an injury.

Anyway, based on above I feel like maybe there are some special playoff settings or strategy I'm missing.
#3 can be mostly fixed by adjusting your team strategy settings for how quick to pull the SP. I have no explanation for the other two issues other than to say that I haven't seen those problems in my sim.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I had #2 happen to me as well!

My AI manager used all my SPs in relief even though "use SP in relief" is set to No. This meant my game 4 and 5 starters only started at like 50% stamina
lere2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:33 AM   #5
Gorinski
Minors (Single A)

This has been a common problem. For example, I've seen a Game 1 starter pitch in relief in Game 2. He came in either the 2nd or 3rd inning when the team had several rested relievers.
Gorinski is offline   Reply With Quote