Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #641
Jeff1787
Hall Of Famer

I am going to start setting things up on Monday, but will wait to actually start until Spritze DB is updated.

I will look at all of the game's new features.
Jeff1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #642
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1787 View Post
I am going to start setting things up on Monday, but will wait to actually start until Spritze DB is updated.

I will look at all of the game's new features.
Speaking of the Spritze DB, I've noticed that even the latest version only takes the players through the 2015 season. Even Jose Altuve only runs from 2007 through 2015. I hope all current players are brought up to 2017 before release. I know it's a tall order, but he keeps exceeding expectations so, we keep expecting more.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #643
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Sweet Music just seems to find his way onto great staffs.
Who is “Sweet Music”?
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #644
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Who is “Sweet Music”?
Frank Viola
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #645
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Learn something new everyday about nicknames. If I understand correctly I may be able to freeze the stats and strategy to ‘47 with OOTP 19 start in a league in 1901then start a yearly progression when and if I get to 1947. Might be in the cards for me, not sure if or how it it will affect the finances but I can use the set fictional salaries button at the start of preseason every year. More decisions
Old 03-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #646
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Learn something new everyday about nicknames. If I understand correctly I may be able to freeze the stats and strategy to ‘47 with OOTP 19 start in a league in 1901then start a yearly progression when and if I get to 1947. Might be in the cards for me, not sure if or how it it will affect the finances but I can use the set fictional salaries button at the start of preseason every year. More decisions
With my Southern League, I plan on going yearly progression until I reach 1986. Started in 1947. I will then lock strategy to 1986. For 1987 and beyond, I plan on using a number generator to select a season from 1978-1986. I will then use the modifiers for the year selected. If for example the random generator come up 1979. 1987 will use 1979 modifiers. 1988 will use 1980, 1989 will use 1981 and so on. Once I reach 1986, I will pull out the numbers generator again an repeat the same process.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #647
smiller
Major Leagues

I've just started a random debut game and noticed that the great hitter Sam Rice enters as a pitcher (Which he was for two years). Will he eventually become a hitter or is there a way to change this?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #648
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I've just started a random debut game and noticed that the great hitter Sam Rice enters as a pitcher (Which he was for two years). Will he eventually become a hitter or is there a way to change this?
Are you using recalc? If you are, he should become a hitter. If you use 1 year it should happen pretty much when it did in real life. If you use 3 year it may be delayed a year or two. Babe Ruth is going to come in as a pitcher too, unless he was part of your inaugural draft and imported at an age past his pitching years.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #649
smiller
Major Leagues

I am using recalc so it's good to know he'll eventually become a hitter. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #650
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Neutered Stats or Real Stats? I ask, because in some cases with neutered stats this can be more problematic than others. Ted Williams will pitch in the war years with neutered stats, despite the fact that he appeared in just one game as a pitcher, and pitched just 2.0 IP in his entire career.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #651
smiller
Major Leagues

Real stats. This is really just a test run to see if I like doing this as merely an observer. If so, I might try another version when 19 comes out.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #652
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Real stats. This is really just a test run to see if I like doing this as merely an observer. If so, I might try another version when 19 comes out.
Ok. There's definitely less of this issue with Real Stats than with Neutered Stats, so you should be in good shape in this case. What recalc: 1-year, 3-year, or 5-year? Double weighted or not? All of these settings will have an influence on how long it takes Mr. Rice to become a hitter in your game.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #653
smiller
Major Leagues

3-year recalc, but not double weighted. Again, I hope to read in your reports and others that issues you had with 18 were cleared up in 19, although it's possible I may not find anything amiss in my game. I'm also leaning to trying a tournament with the best 64 teams of all time playing in a 4 out of 7 format if this is possible in the new game.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #654
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
3-year recalc, but not double weighted. Again, I hope to read in your reports and others that issues you had with 18 were cleared up in 19, although it's possible I may not find anything amiss in my game. I'm also leaning to trying a tournament with the best 64 teams of all time playing in a 4 out of 7 format if this is possible in the new game.
From what I've read from pstrickert's beta testing, OOTP19 is still coming in a bit hot, but not as hot as OOTP18 was. I'll be testing the heck out of it to see what both the league-wide and individual numbers look like over long term sims.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #655
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I tried a year of a random debut league recently with neutral stats - very bizarre results - Some pitchers with ERA s below 1.00 for example. I switched to real stats.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #656
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
I tried a year of a random debut league recently with neutral stats - very bizarre results - Some pitchers with ERA s below 1.00 for example. I switched to real stats.
Sounds like the OOTP18 super-duper seasons rearing their ugly heads again. It happens on both the hitting and pitching stats. Has it happened again with Real Stats or are you more happy with those? Probably I'll do two 60 year beta tests comparing Neutralized with Real when I get OOTP19, and see which one I like better, and go with that. I love Neutered Stats, but if they're gonna go all weird on me (Ty Cobb at 1B?), I will have to drop them for Real Stats.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #657
Cheesetruck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Am enjoying this thread! I'm a fellow Random Debut player.

I recently ran a league from 1901 to 2136, with 86 or so players in each draft pool. 16 teams were in the game, broken up into 2 leagues with 8 teams each. Best team in each league made the playoffs.

The teams consisted of countries like Argentina, Congo, Dominican Republic, Oman, etc. Clayton Kershaw played for a really bad Congo team.

These random debut leagues are so much fun <3
Cheesetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #658
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I will say it before actionjackson “Welcome to the dark side.” What settings for recalc do you use in your league?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #659
Cheesetruck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Here are the recalc stats

Here are the homer leaders. It was a very homer happy league!

Cheesetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #660
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Wow McCovey averaged over 50 HRs per year.