Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #41
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Just curious, do you play OOTP?
Not as much as I'd like (should?). I end up thinking about the features I wish the game had, then spend time lots of time researching the background material for those ideas.

By the way, let me clarify the value of having the full real-world organizational transaction data: it'll show how often DL assignments occur in the minors and how quickly clubs move players around to fill the roster spots in response (my feeling is that minor league clubs often operate shorthanded for a few days after an injury occurs); it'll show the frequency and duration of rehab assignments by major league players; it'll reveal to what degree minor league players are released and signed during a season; it'll make clear just what happens in the rest of the organization when a transaction is made at the major league level (e.g. when a player is called up/recalled or selected from the minors, how quickly are the rosters reshuffled in the minor league affiliates). This, it seems to me, is extremely useful reference data in getting OOTP's AI to behave like real-world organizations do.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 06-03-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #42
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Well you obviously have taken my post as a personal attack when it wasn't intended to be one. It was an observation and then a comment with a question. I apologize for offending you with my very good memory.

So, I'm going to start a game with a minor league team, for the sole purpose of being able to put some useful input into this particular topic. Have a nice night and I'll be back with "something useful"
I'm going to defend the OP here, but not because I think his 'sample size' warrants his argument, but rather because I can't stand when people think ... because they disagree ... they should act all snarky and condescending. The OP sure doesn't believe your personal attack was an accident, and I sure don't either. Intentions mean little. You could have gone about this in a more respectful manner, and worked toward a resolution, but obviously that's not the path you intended to take. There are others here just like you, and the snarkiness and belittling by some in this community is the one thing that has turned me away from OOTP for some time now. I keep coming back, hoping that the features in a new edition of OOTP will wow me, but any benefits from a newer version are outweighed by the type of stuff I've seen in this thread (and others). Obviously I'm not a moderator, but I kindly ask that you question whether the way you interact with others here is beneficial to the future of this product. Cheers.
thevaliantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #43
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Not as much as I'd like (should?). I end up thinking about the features I wish the game had, then spend time lots of time researching the background material for those ideas.

By the way, let me clarify the value of having the full real-world organizational transaction data: it'll show how often DL assignments occur in the minors and how quickly clubs move players around to fill the roster spots in response (my feeling is that minor league clubs often operate shorthanded for a few days after an injury occurs); it'll show the frequency and duration of rehab assignments by major league players; it'll reveal to what degree minor league players are released and signed during a season; it'll make clear just what happens in the rest of the organization when a transaction is made at the major league level (e.g. when a player is called up/recalled or selected from the minors, how quickly are the rosters reshuffled in the minor league affiliates). This, it seems to me, is extremely useful reference data in getting OOTP's AI to behave like real-world organizations do.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that the transaction data could be put to good use. In the end, I hope OOTP can provide us with a good mix of realism and playability. I want the "manage only" for the minors to be a success, so that maybe, just maybe a "manage only" mode will be added to the majors. I currently use workarounds to play this way, but would love it if it was an actual game mode.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #44
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Modes I would like to see:

Minor League Manager Mode
Major League Manager Mode
Major League GM Mode
Major League GM/Manager Mode
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
mrking81012
Minors (Single A)

I too have noticed the same problems as the OP. While you can expect this mode won't be perfect, it's quite annoying to see a handful of people move up and down for no apparent reason.

Whether the hard data suggests these crazy transactions are realistic or not, I could care less (my guess is it isn't based on hard data that much as it is anyway). My first version of OOTP I hardly enjoyed. I had my heart set on this mode, and it took a lot of fun out of it for me. Obviously I'm back and playing different modes...but this one mode has the potential to be great. But I'm sure I wasn't the only one with those concerns.

I just find it very hard to believe that a few players move up and down R, SA, A for a week...over the course of a half-season...and that's realistic. Not saying it doesn't happen but not to this extent. Just to clarify, I'm not saying transactions overall. I'm stating the promotion, then 4 days later, demotion transactions.

Sending a 'recommendation' to the GM on current players could go a long way to fix this problem (yes there is a problem IMO..just how much of one?). This way the AI can take into account who should get promoted or demoted. It wouldn't always have to agree.

Maybe there could be three levels:
Slight opinion toward player recommendation
Moderate opinion
Extreme opinion

Or something like that.
mrking81012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
BigCity
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
One more thing... In game terms, I think that those kinds of lateral moves might be a see-saw effect. The OOTP algorithm looks at 2 rookie league teams that are more or less the same, but one has a slight deficit in starting pitching relative to the other one. So OOTP moves pitcher X, who has abilities that add up to the correct amount, to the weaker team.

The next time OOTP does its check, the original stronger team is now slightly weaker because Pitcher X is on the other side of the scale... so it moves him back...

Even the Rookie to A promotions might work like that. Player A is barely over the border of being good enough to get promoted. So the game promotes him. He plays one game and goes 0 for 4. The algorithm part of the game factors that in and now, he's not quite good enough to be at the higher level, and he gets moved back down.

Just a theory of course - I have no idea how the code works.
If this is true or close to true, then coding needs to be added which "looks ahead" to the next review. In other words, if the code says move player A to team B - then look at that result and see if the code will move him back next time (everything being equal). If it would, then simply don't make the first move.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #47
gnomez
Minors (Double A)

Location: under the sea in a submersible ship called the Flying Dutchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
It doesn't look like the MiLB transactions lists players who are leaving a team, with the exception of one deceased player and a couple of retirements and one or two releases. To keep this simple, I'll just compare the incoming players in both OOTP and MiLB, so when I say 'transactions', I'm talking about incoming players. I'll also put a magnifying glass on the Orem Owlz and St. Lucie Mets, both of whom I've become intimately familiar with.
Matt Eddy's Transactions Blog at Baseball-America runs from March 2013-Present here and April 2007-March 2013 here (although I can't vouch for completeness prior to 2009). For at least the past four years, it has tracked all minor league transactions in weekly intervals and annotated many of them. Now, it's clearly not in a format that lends itself to parsing quantitatively, and the fact that it's posted weekly limits its use for some of the things we're looking at, particularly, specific delays between promotions and demotions, but it's as complete a resource as you'll find outside of some niche sites (the fantastic Cardinal Nation Blog organizational matrix comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure I've seen similar projects devoted to the Red Sox and Rockies).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin462 View Post
This quote just made me imagine this was Mark Prior himself. I could see him going into baseball forums and lamenting about what could have been, then just breaking down in front of his computer.
gnomez is offline   Reply With Quote