Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

Option for a zero player reserve list

Why is the minimum reserve roster set to 15 spots? I would love to see options from 0-14 added.

I want to set up a league where teams aren't gobbling up free agents and sticking them on the reserve roster. I want a simple 15-25 man roster (depending on the era), with no reserve list and no minor league affiliations. If a player gets hurt the team plays with a smaller roster until he comes back.

I've turned off the 40-man, but the reserve roster still keeps getting filled. I can't see how to turn it off.

Maybe there is a way to do this that I am missing?
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
Why is the minimum reserve roster set to 15 spots? I would love to see options from 0-14 added.
I'd really like to have that option too.
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

What about using the secondary (40-man) roster option but instead set it to a value one above your active roster size, e.g. 26 (if you're using a 25-man active roster limit). That ought to get you really close to what you want. (Not sure if the game will let you set your secondary roster size equal to your active roster size.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I dunno about setting it to 0, but I would definitely like to be able to set it to less than 15. Maybe 5 as a minimum.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I dunno about setting it to 0, but I would definitely like to be able to set it to less than 15. Maybe 5 as a minimum.
What's the difference? Give us flexibility. You want 5, I want 0. We can all win
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
What about using the secondary (40-man) roster option but instead set it to a value one above your active roster size, e.g. 26 (if you're using a 25-man active roster limit). That ought to get you really close to what you want. (Not sure if the game will let you set your secondary roster size equal to your active roster size.)
This could definitely work as a work around . . . I'll look into it. Weird, the one test league I have going won't let me edit to put a secondary roster in, since I chose none at creation. I haven't even done the inaugural draft yet.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
What's the difference? Give us flexibility. You want 5, I want 0. We can all win
You have a point. I do wonder though how well (or not) the AI would work without any reserve players at all.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
You have a point. I do wonder though how well (or not) the AI would work without any reserve players at all.
Based on the AI's contract/roster managing skills (or lack of), I'd lean towards not handling it well. With no reserve roster and 100% guaranteed contracts, health becomes much, much more important. Second to that is team construction and depth, and the AI has a tendency to stuff the roster with bench hitters.
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasek0 View Post
... the AI has a tendency to stuff the roster with bench hitters.
Dang, no wonder I don't see anyone who can hit a baseball.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
blasek0
Major Leagues

I mean, pinch hitters are great and all, but there's no need to have 18 hitters on a team, if you're playing with 30 man rosters or something, which is what the AI tends to do. With no reserve roster, pitching depth would be a lot more important just because you have 0 flexibility with injuries, and I'm not sure that OOTP's AI is able to comprehend that at the moment.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Based on the AI's contract/roster managing skills (or lack of), I'd lean towards not handling it well. With no reserve roster and 100% guaranteed contracts, health becomes much, much more important. Second to that is team construction and depth, and the AI has a tendency to stuff the roster with bench hitters.
I'd say it may well be the same sort of thing with reduced roster sizes (e.g. 21 or even lower) where health and the ability of a player to play multiple positions well would be important. Also, even if contracts are only partially guaranteed (e.g. there is some form of termination pay) such considerations would still matter when putting together a roster.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean, pinch hitters are great and all, but there's no need to have 18 hitters on a team, if you're playing with 30 man rosters or something, which is what the AI tends to do. With no reserve roster, pitching depth would be a lot more important just because you have 0 flexibility with injuries, and I'm not sure that OOTP's AI is able to comprehend that at the moment.
I agree, with a 30 man roster and no reserves, you would need to have probably 2 or 3 (at least) MRs who could start.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
I'd say it may well be the same sort of thing with reduced roster sizes (e.g. 21 or even lower) where health and the ability of a player to play multiple positions well would be important. Also, even if contracts are only partially guaranteed (e.g. there is some form of termination pay) such considerations would still matter when putting together a roster.
I still think the option to turn off guaranteed contracts would be fantastic for OOTP. I think that's the single feature I want to see the most. A league where contracts aren't guaranteed changes everything, and I'd really like to try playing that.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I still think the option to turn off guaranteed contracts would be fantastic for OOTP. I think that's the single feature I want to see the most. A league where contracts aren't guaranteed changes everything, and I'd really like to try playing that.
I think you can get close to that by using a very low value in the "Remaining Salary owed if Player is cut" setting under the Financial and Free Agency Settings area of the Financials tab in league setup. You may have to enable the Reserve Clause Era rules first in order to see the setting.

(For what it's worth, in real life it used to be that a major league player who was released from his contract was only entitled to 10 days' pay as termination. That's about 6% of the salary amount for the season.)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #15
blasek0
Major Leagues

Yeah, that's only available under reserve clause era rules. It's a great workaround if you want to play reserve-clause era rules, but if you don't, then your only option is 100% guaranteed contracts or using commissioner mode to forcibly push players into FA (and that option's hard to extend to AI teams). I'd be fine with using commish mode to force players into FA, but the AI can't do that, and I can't exactly ask them if they would cut a player if there were no consequences to cutting him.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I agree that turning off guaranteed contracts should be allowed for non-reserve clause leagues.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 05-18-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree that turning off guaranteed contracts should be allowed for non-reserve clause leagues.
The termination pay provision should be available all the time, yes, and not limited to just the reserve clause era.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
The termination pay provision should be available all the time, yes, and not limited to just the reserve clause era.
With the option to set termination pay at anywhere from 0 to 100%.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That would make a lot of sense.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #20
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was how I originally envisioned/suggested it.