Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Pick-off choice?

I noticed this in 13 and wondered if it would change in 14 and obviously it has not. Why on earth with runners on 1st and second do I not have a choice to attempt a pick off throw to 1st base?

It only gives me the option to throw to 2nd base.1st is grayed out! While I understand the runner on second is a higher priority for the AI but runners getting picked off base that are not the lead base runners most certainly happens and it should be a choice imho.... It someone believes this is a bug and not intentional let me know and I'll post this in the bug thread!

Same issue with runners on 2nd and 3rd...can't throw to 2nd

]And while I don't have an example iof this yet, I'm pretty sure that when runners are on 1st and 3rd you can throw to either base
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 05-17-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Not disputing your claim about runners not on lead base getting picked off, but I sure can't recall seeing any. I can not remember a time ever when I saw a throw to 1st when there were runners on 1st and 2nd.

Quite possible it happens, and I'm just not noticing it.

Doesn't make sense to me though, I'm concerned with the lead runner. He's going to score before the other guy so he's my priority. I'd throw to 2nd maybe, but not 1st. If the guy on 2nd isn't going, then the guy on 1st definitely isn't.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

And I'm not saying it happens a lot, I'm sure it is a very rare thing. I'm not saying it's a good Idea(It most defiantly is very high risk, low reward scenario) But (and I don't have data to back it up) I think it's a safe bet that in the 380,000 + games played in MLB since 1900 it has happened more often than a Perfect Game has been pitched! And perfect games happen in OOTP! Now maybe it's built into the coding, kind of like the catcher whipping one down to 1st or 3rd and picking a runner off and I haven't noticed.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 05-17-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Maybe this has something to do with it:

Major League Baseball poised to pick off 1st-and-3rd trick move - ESPN
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Maybe this has something to do with it:

Major League Baseball poised to pick off 1st-and-3rd trick move - ESPN
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

I remember being coached in high school that the pitcher should never throw to first with another runner on second or runners on second and third (bases loaded) because of the risk of over-throw with a runner in scoring position. (First and third is worth the risk because you are trying to prevent another runner from getting into scoring position.)

We were taught that in the same way that we were taught that when you are a runner on second, you don't try for third on a groundball to the shortstop. It isn't that you can't do it, it just isn't sound baseball strategy. If the game modeled a bunch of runners being thrown out at third on grounders to short I bet you wouldn't be happy.

This may have nothing to do with how the game is designed, but that is what our coaches taught us.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Yeah they also taught us to never make the last out at third when your the winning run but it happens. And I've seen some pick off attempts to 1st with runners on 1st and 2nd, usually by a LHP as he's facing the base.I think one thing that makes that a possibility of success is the surprise element. They expect you to pay more attention to the guy on 2nd so they get a little to comfortable with their lead. And frankly if I'm up 4-1 with the bases loaded or 2-1, 3-1 with men on 1st and 2nd, the guy on first is a pretty important runner and picking him off could very well save the game. But either way I was just wondering why the option doesn't exist. cause we all know this game isn't about what happens in real life , it's about what you want to happen in your fake Baseball world...and damn it I want to throw to 1st with men on 1st and 2nd and I can't!
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Yeah they also taught us to never make the last out at third when your the winning run but it happens. And I've seen some pick off attempts to 1st with runners on 1st and 2nd, usually by a LHP as he's facing the base.I think one thing that makes that a possibility of success is the surprise element. They expect you to pay more attention to the guy on 2nd so they get a little to comfortable with their lead. And frankly if I'm up 4-1 with the bases loaded or 2-1, 3-1 with men on 1st and 2nd, the guy on first is a pretty important runner and picking him off could very well save the game. But either way I was just wondering why the option doesn't exist. cause we all know this game isn't about what happens in real life , it's about what you want to happen in your fake Baseball world...and damn it I want to throw to 1st with men on 1st and 2nd and I can't!
I can't say I've ever seen it in an MLB game. No way I have a perfect memory but I suspect that it would have stuck with me because of the extreme risk and stupidity. I'd bet that the pitching coach or manager would come out to ask "what the ____ are you doing"?

Edit. The answer is obvious now.

When men are at 1st and 2nd the 1B does not hold the runner at all. Your IF defense would be seriously compromised otherwise. You cannot throw to 1st if the 1B is not there (balk). Are you suggesting that pitchers throw to the 1B playing behind or off to the side? That may be a balk too. I don't think so. It's clear that the play just doesn't happen unless the defensive team is incompetent or crazy.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 05-17-2013 at 11:43 AM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote