Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #24741
BklynJace
Minors (Single A)

These are great -- many thanks. I'd never seen the Hicks, Kroll or Fernandez, and had wondered if the Rose shot was from TV.

That's true, Johnson probably did fall into the labor-dispute hole. Missed that.

Tell me Herbel isn't grinning because he knows one day we'll all want a shot of him with his hat on....

Much appreciated, sir!
BklynJace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #24742
Merkle923
Hall Of Famer

Topps Vault Mets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynJace View Post
Chico Fernandez
Larry Foss
Joe Hicks
Tom Parsons
Salty Parker (coach/interim manager)
Bob D. Johnson
Ron Herbel
Don Rose
Roy McMillan (in his years as 70s coach/interim manager)
Mac Scarce
Billy Baldwin

A related Q. These five were shot by Topps and appear on Mets rookie cards, but I've never seen their individual photos as Mets from Topps. Anybody know if they've seen the light of day?

Gary Kroll
Dick Smith
Dave Eilers
Bill Murphy
Rich Folkers
From your list, yes on everybody except Foss, Parker, Baldwin, and Scarce. I saw the files of those four and did not see images of them with the Mets. Can't explain how they missed Parker. I don't believe Foss was with them except at the very end of the '62 season, and I think Baldwin was an early cut in 1976.

They did shoot Bob Johnson at Shea in May, 1967. A capless image in the Met pinstripe is shown on Johnson's 1968 card:
Attached Images
Merkle923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #24743
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle923 View Post
From your list, yes on everybody except Foss, Parker, Baldwin, and Scarce. I saw the files of those four and did not see images of them with the Mets. Can't explain how they missed Parker. I don't believe Foss was with them except at the very end of the '62 season, and I think Baldwin was an early cut in 1976.

They did shoot Bob Johnson at Shea in May, 1967. A capless image in the Met pinstripe is shown on Johnson's 1968 card:
Wrong Bob Johnson, Merkle. Bob D. Johnson was the pitcher from the 69 Mets who later pitched for the Royals, Pirates, etc. The infielder was Bob W. Johnson.
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #24744
BklynJace
Minors (Single A)

Many thanks Merkle!

Ah yes, Rocky Johnson's Quasimodo photo. That's interesting -- I was indeed asking about the other Bob Johnson, but only because I figured Bob W had fallen in the labor-dispute hole and had crossed him off the list.

Do you know if Topps ever captured Hal Reniff, Dennis Bennett or Nick WIllhite as Mets? Or had players stopped agreeing to pose by then?

Thanks again!

Last edited by BklynJace; 03-06-2015 at 08:31 PM. Reason: comical overexuberance
Old 03-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #24745
Merkle923
Hall Of Famer

The Bobs Johnson

Ah, that one. No.

Nor Bennett (never seen a color photo of him in a Met uniform; there are a couple of black and white ones), nor Willhite (there's a color Brace photo of him warming up on the bullpen mound in Chicago, but it's dreadful). Topps got Reniff in a Met uniform.

Pitcher Bob Johnson was photographed in Chicago by Brace. I've only seen the portrait and it is decent.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #24746
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Sherman "Roadblock" Jones - New York Mets

Not a great picture (probably a tenth generation or something), but it is color. Pulled this off eBay a while back. Don't remember the seller.
Attached Images
Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #24747
Merkle923
Hall Of Famer

Dennis Bennett / Nick Willhite

This is the Bennett wire service photo (UPI) I alluded to earlier, along with the image of Nick Willhite in the Mets' official 1967 team picture (the only known color shot of Willhite with New York).

Willhite was only with the Mets for seven home games in '67 and somehow avoided the Topps photographer, but got in the team photo.

Last edited by Merkle923; 07-31-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #24748
simarc
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle923 View Post
This is the Bennett wire service photo (UPI) I alluded to earlier, along with the image of Nick Willhite in the Mets' official 1967 team picture (the only known color shot of Willhite with New York).

Willhite was only with the Mets for seven home games in '67 and somehow avoided the Topps photographer, but got in the team photo.
Merkle,

When you say "somehow avoided the Topps photographer", when would those photo shoots typically take place ? Granted the Mets and Yanks were the "home team" for Topps (a NYC based company), but did they have specific dates and times for photo shoots ? Did they go to Shea the first time each team came into town to shoot ? Was curious if they had a typical procedure or if they were just winging it. From my observation it looks like from 1962-the 80's they shot primarily at Shea/Yankee, Spring training and some in the Bay Area. Occasionally I saw some shots from 3 Rivers. Was very curious on how they coordinated their efforts.
simarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #24749
BklynJace
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simarc View Post
Merkle,

When you say "somehow avoided the Topps photographer", when would those photo shoots typically take place ? Granted the Mets and Yanks were the "home team" for Topps (a NYC based company), but did they have specific dates and times for photo shoots ? Did they go to Shea the first time each team came into town to shoot ? Was curious if they had a typical procedure or if they were just winging it. From my observation it looks like from 1962-the 80's they shot primarily at Shea/Yankee, Spring training and some in the Bay Area. Occasionally I saw some shots from 3 Rivers. Was very curious on how they coordinated their efforts.
Along those lines, I'm curious if there was a specific time in '67 that players stopped agreeing to be photographed, or if it was a more gradual, case-by-case thing. I'd figured Reniff, for instance, didn't become a Met until after the boycott began, so was surprised to hear Topps got him.

Love learning anything about how Topps operated back then.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #24750
BklynJace
Minors (Single A)

Dick Smith

Here's a Dick Smith I hadn't seen before. Bought it from an eBay seller. Photo on some kind of backing, with a sig that might be real or not. (I don't really care -- wanted it for the photo.) Not the greatest photo but better than anything I had.
Attached Images
Old 03-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #24751
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Merkle, thanks so much for the Dennis Bennett (and you cleaned up that team photo really well, too). And, BklynJace, thank you so much for the Dick Smith.

FWIW, Willhite did get a B&W picture in the '67 Yearbook (2nd Revised). Bodies were coming and going so fast that year, I think there might have been five or six versions of the Yearbook.

So here's Willhite and my 2012 colorization (previously posted on Baseball Birthdays) for anyone interested, and I might as well toss in Bob W. Johnson (also from the 2nd Revised) as well.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 03-08-2015, 01:45 AM   #24752
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
There are some nice MLB Chicago shots of Bob Dale Johnson (one that krantzbucks put up in this thread, another that FatJack put on Baseball-Birthdays) in Mets togs. Or do you only want Topps, Jace?
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:30 AM   #24753
BklynJace
Minors (Single A)

When it comes to the MIA Mets I'm happy for anything I can get. Will look for those. Thank you Amazin!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:38 AM   #24754
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Dennis Bennett (colorized)

I know this isn't the colorization thread, but it seemed miserable rotten to me to take Merkle's wonderful Bennett and then post my work at Baseball Birthdays (which I do kind of consider my "home").

So here's Bennett colorized. Didn't do the background because I knew I wasn't going to use it. Dropped into Shea (added a little color to the face) and custom carded.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 03-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #24755
bearman14
Hall Of Famer

Other Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynJace View Post
Question for this board's amazing expert TV archivists ... I'm wondering if these players were ever shot by Topps in Mets uniforms. I didn't list missing Mets who fell into the hole left by the 67-69 dispute with the union, and a few who came and went too quickly to be shot, but it seems like this bunch could have been part of Topps's rounds. (I've searched this forum, but apologies if I missed someone.)

Chico Fernandez
Larry Foss
Joe Hicks
Tom Parsons
Salty Parker (coach/interim manager)
Bob D. Johnson
Ron Herbel
Don Rose
Roy McMillan (in his years as 70s coach/interim manager)
Mac Scarce
Billy Baldwin

A related Q. These five were shot by Topps and appear on Mets rookie cards, but I've never seen their individual photos as Mets from Topps. Anybody know if they've seen the light of day?

Gary Kroll
Dick Smith
Dave Eilers
Bill Murphy
Rich Folkers

Many thanks for any help/thoughts, and for all you do day-in and day-out.
Not Topps Vault but other options of players. Found most of these over the years on the net. Some might of came from Baseball Birthdays site. Bob D. Johnson did. http://www.baseball-birthdays.net http://www.baseball-birthdays.net/vi...t=4518&p=11552

Bob D. Johnson - Ron Herbel - Dave Eilers - Mac Scarce
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by bearman14; 03-08-2015 at 08:39 AM.
bearman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #24756
bearman14
Hall Of Famer

Chico Fernandez- Billy Baldwin- Joe Hicks
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #24757
bearman14
Hall Of Famer

Gary Kroll- Billy Murphy- Rich Folkers
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by bearman14; 03-08-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #24758
bearman14
Hall Of Famer

Rich Folkers - Tom Parsons
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 03-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #24759
bearman14
Hall Of Famer

Dick Smith- Larry Foss- Salty Parker
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 03-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #24760
BklynJace
Minors (Single A)

These are amazing -- never seen a lot of them. Bill Murphy in particular is a Met ghost. Many thanks, Bearman!

Curious who the Met is to Folkers' left in the warmup pic. Any guesses?