Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Seeking Perfect Team Advice

Hi all,

I'm working on improving my team and I could use some input from others to help me decide what I should be upgrading.

My roster is as follows:

C: 100 Johnny Bench
1B: 97 Dan Brouthers
2B: 98 Charlie Gehringer
SS: 98 Arky Vaughan
3B: 100 Jackie Robinson
LF: 94 Babe Ruth
CF: 100 Mike Trout
RF: 98 Frank Robinson
DH: 98 Ted Williams

Bench: 94 Craig Biggio (backup Catcher/2B/SS/CF)
Bench: 92 Pete Rose (backup 1B/3B/LF)
Bench: 96 Cesar Cedeno (backup CF)
Bench: 91 Paul Waner (backup RF)

SP1: 97 Dave Righetti
SP2: 97 Phil Neikro
SP3: 97 Hal Newhouser
SP4: 97 Clayton Kershaw
SP5: 96 Lefty Grove

CL: 99 Dennis Eckersley
SU: 96 Joe Nathan
SU: 96 Jonathan Papelbon
MR: 94 Jose Fernandez
MR: 91 JJ Putz
MR: 92 Brendan Donnelly
LR: 94 Fernando Venezuela

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, I have 94 Gavvy Cravath inactive right now. I have around 100,000 PP to spend, and personally believe pitching is the biggest place I need to upgrade, although most good upgrades are out of my price range. I appreciate any advice on which players would be good to target or which areas of my team should be upgraded I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks again!
Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

First thing I'd do is swap Jackie Robinson and Arky Vaughan. Peak Arky is only a 73 at SS while Perfect Jackie appears to train up to about an 80.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
First thing I'd do is swap Jackie Robinson and Arky Vaughan. Peak Arky is only a 73 at SS while Perfect Jackie appears to train up to about an 80.
Didn't realize Jackie would train higher at SS. For some reason I was under the impression that the positions that come with the card are their max, but they could still develop more at other positions. I think I thought that because I played my Pete Rose at 2B or 3B for a while and he wasn't improving. But thanks for the advice, I will definitely switch them up.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

98 Steve Carlton....definitely. Okay, it's because I'm trying to sell one but it is a pretty good card!

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
98 Steve Carlton....definitely. Okay, it's because I'm trying to sell one but it is a pretty good card!
I was looking at him as a potential bullpen arm since my bullpen is almost entirely RHP. I could buy him and move Lefty Grove to the bullpen, but he's locked from a collection mission so I'm not super willing to give up on him altogether.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
I was looking at him as a potential bullpen arm since my bullpen is almost entirely RHP. I could buy him and move Lefty Grove to the bullpen, but he's locked from a collection mission so I'm not super willing to give up on him altogether.
I have had the same Lefty Grove in my pen for maybe 8 seasons now...he has been outstanding there.

Attached the last few for your review...
Attached Images

Last edited by Chico Guilbault; 08-27-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
I have had the same Lefty Grove in my pen for maybe 8 seasons now...he has been outstanding there.

Attached the last few for your review...
Wow that's impressive! Thanks for attaching the photo. I've tried keeping under 50K for each starter but I am thinking about splurging a little bit for a front-end RHP rotation starter. My other idea is to buy 100 Cochrane to platoon at Catcher with Johnny Bench and work on the rotation later.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #8
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

what is your end goal with this team? i think that would be helpful in terms of giving you advice.

HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #9
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDesertAce View Post
what is your end goal with this team? i think that would be helpful in terms of giving you advice.
Just trying to be as competitive as possible in Perfect League. I don't use any LIVE cards (apart from Trout) and am just trying to win as many games as possible given my budget constraints (hence the large amount of good diamond players I have, rather than perfect players). I'm not sure if that is what you were looking for, but right now I am just trying to find places to upgrade that I can afford, that will help me win more games.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It may take some time on the market but you can upgrade 98 ted williams to 100 ted williams for like 30K. He might even be better in LF than 94 Ruth but I can't remember the defensive ratings for them.

It's probably better to have a platoon instead of a starter/backup for a single position like you do at RF

Biggio backing up at three positions including catcher is probably going to leave you starting some very tired guys for a number of games unless you are a wizard with the depth chart settings or have the time to manage daily lineups. I'd get rid of an extra bullpen arm for a full time backup C.

Last edited by dkgo; 08-28-2019 at 10:44 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #11
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

yes I would go to down 5 relievers and look for cheap platoon partners for some of these RHB...cy seymour to platoon with frank robinson and 87 carew to platoon with brouthers are two budget ideas.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
It may take some time on the market but you can upgrade 98 ted williams to 100 ted williams for like 30K. He might even be better in LF than 94 Ruth but I can't remember the defensive ratings for them.

It's probably better to have a platoon instead of a starter/backup for a single position like you do at RF

Biggio backing up at three positions including catcher is probably going to leave you starting some very tired guys for a number of games unless you are a wizard with the depth chart settings or have the time to manage daily lineups. I'd get rid of an extra bullpen arm for a full time backup C.
The Ted Williams upgrade is an interesting idea. I cant see his 7day or all time average selling price but if you are correct and it's only a 30k upgrade, I will definitely look into it.

Would you recommend I go after another Catcher and leave Biggio as a backup infielder, or should I go after another Infielder and leave Biggio at backup Catcher? Or sell Biggio altogether, and buy a new backup Catcher and Infielder? Biggio has abysmal Catcher ratings and I feel like upgrading from him at Catcher wouldn't be a bad idea.

Also, I'm assuming it would be best to get rid of Donnelly or Putz to add another depth player?

Thanks again for your comment!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #13
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
yes I would go to down 5 relievers and look for cheap platoon partners for some of these RHB...cy seymour to platoon with frank robinson and 87 carew to platoon with brouthers are two budget ideas.
Carew and Brouthers are both LHB. Cy Seymour looks like he'd make a great platoon, but I'm not sure how much he would cost. I'm hesitant to reduce the amount of relievers I have to 10. Do you think my pitching would handle that ok? My SP isn't great as it is, and I feel like I don't have enough power arms in the bullpen to carry enough weight if I was to leave only Eckersley, Papelbon, Nathan, Valenzuela, and Fernandez.

Thanks for your comment!
Old 08-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The biggest thing you could add is a #1 starter. You need one guy that you can count on every fifth day. Assuming that you are capped at 100K to spend, I would look at:

100 Mathewson
100 Santana
100 Gooden
100 Seaver
100 Ryan
100 Koufax
99 Maddux
99 Clarkson
98 Halladay
98 Brown
98 Hubbell

Some of those will be 10-20% over 100K but you might get lucky if you watch closely.

P.S. I would probably focus on the right-handers since you currently have so many lefties.

Last edited by Orcin; 08-28-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Carew and Brouthers are both LHB. Cy Seymour looks like he'd make a great platoon, but I'm not sure how much he would cost. I'm hesitant to reduce the amount of relievers I have to 10. Do you think my pitching would handle that ok? My SP isn't great as it is, and I feel like I don't have enough power arms in the bullpen to carry enough weight if I was to leave only Eckersley, Papelbon, Nathan, Valenzuela, and Fernandez.

Thanks for your comment!

Cy Seymour goes for around 50. yes i forgot Brouthers is LH.

if you give the AI more relief options you will end up using more relievers. With 5 starting pitchers you only need 5 RP, especially if some of them are converted SP.

So my advice would be to get down to your best overall 10 pitchers.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:40 PM   #16
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The biggest thing you could add is a #1 starter. You need one guy that you can count on every fifth day. Assuming that you are capped at 100K to spend, I would look at:

100 Mathewson
100 Santana
100 Gooden
100 Seaver
100 Ryan
100 Koufax
99 Maddux
99 Clarkson
98 Halladay
98 Brown
98 Hubbell

Some of those will be 10-20% over 100K but you might get lucky if you watch closely.

P.S. I would probably focus on the right-handers since you currently have so many lefties.
Thank you for giving me a wide array of options to look at. I don't completely understand what to look for in a good SP and this helps alot. I want to slowly upgrade my rotation one starter at a time. I know movement is especially important at this level. Would you recommend moving Lefty Grove to the bullpen to make way for a new starter? And also, how many pitchers would you recommend keeping on the roster?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Cy Seymour goes for around 50. yes i forgot Brouthers is LH.

if you give the AI more relief options you will end up using more relievers. With 5 starting pitchers you only need 5 RP, especially if some of them are converted SP.

So my advice would be to get down to your best overall 10 pitchers.
Seymour seems like a cost effectilve platoon for sure then. Should I sell Paul Waner from my bench as well to make room for someone like Seymour?

And that's really interesting, and I didn't know that. I guess if I have Jose Fernandez and Valenzuela in the bullpen they can work multiple innings if needed.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #18
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Only 5 relievers? How does that not exhaust your bullpens?

Does a platoon make a player less likely to win end-of-year awards, such as SS or GG, because of the reduced playing time (and lower counting stats), or could it make them more likely to win because they are more productive when they do play?

In almost every circumstance, your backup catcher will get a significant amount of playing time. Because of this, I see a lot of value in having a platoon behind the plate, albeit with players who are not completely incompetent when they have to play against same-handed pitchers.

With regard to Biggio specifically, he is an interesting case in that he brings a large amount of positional flexibility. He basically provides the same level of defense as Cedeno with the added bonus of being able to play in the infield or behind the plate (though the rating will be extremely low for both 3B and C). You probably don't want him as your backup catcher, but he could still have value as an occasional 3rd catcher and all around general utility player.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #19
Kumar
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Only 5 relievers? How does that not exhaust your bullpens?

Does a platoon make a player less likely to win end-of-year awards, such as SS or GG, because of the reduced playing time (and lower counting stats), or could it make them more likely to win because they are more productive when they do play?

In almost every circumstance, your backup catcher will get a significant amount of playing time. Because of this, I see a lot of value in having a platoon behind the plate, albeit with players who are not completely incompetent when they have to play against same-handed pitchers.

With regard to Biggio specifically, he is an interesting case in that he brings a large amount of positional flexibility. He basically provides the same level of defense as Cedeno with the added bonus of being able to play in the infield or behind the plate (though the rating will be extremely low for both 3B and C). You probably don't want him as your backup catcher, but he could still have value as an occasional 3rd catcher and all around general utility player.
I was wondering the same thing about RP. I was surprised that the others believe the bullpen would be ok with just 5 people, but I do see where they are coming from, especially since I have 2 SP in my bullpen.

I'm sure platooning would limit the chances of winning end of year awards but I'm not personally sure of it. You bring up a really good point on the trade-off between winning end of year awards and better overall performance, and I believe performance throughout the season is more important to me.

I appreciate your insight on Biggio, because he is a really hard player to figure out what to do with. I think you're right that it makes sense for him to be the utility guy and to cut Cedeno from the team. If Biggio can play CF better and be a useful speedy player at multiple positions I think it makes more sense to keep him than just Cedeno who can only play CF.

Thanks again for your comment.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #20
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

A silver slugger is only worth 250 points and there are probably at least 5 serious competitors. A good L/R platoon performing 10-20% better than just a single player more than makes up that point equity. Plus you can usually get both halves cheaper than the whole.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote