Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
tward13
All Star Starter

Rule 5 players

How do you offer a Rule 5 player back to his original team?

If I release him it wants to charge me his salary, which isn't correct.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
tward13
All Star Starter

Anyone? Shouldn't there be a way to offer back a Rule 5 player?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
CField17
Minors (Double A)

I think if you release him he goes back to his original team
CField17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

You need to release the player and that will send him back to the original team
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Maybe but if you have to pay his salary first that doesn't make sense...

BTW this is something I have always been curious about too...

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CField17 View Post
I think if you release him he goes back to his original team
But it says I'll have to pay him his $550k if I release him. It shouldn't cost more than the original claim (50K?)

There should be an option to return Rule 5 player.

Also, the other team should have the option to decline, thus allowing you to keep the player in the minors.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
CField17
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
But it says I'll have to pay him his $550k if I release him. It shouldn't cost more than the original claim (50K?)

There should be an option to return Rule 5 player.

Also, the other team should have the option to decline, thus allowing you to keep the player in the minors.
Are you sure this isn’t how it works in rl MLB? I haven’t looked it up
CField17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

From the MLB website:

" What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
From the MLB website:

" What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq
Waiving the player, means that every team in the league can pick up that player. From what I recall in the past, if another team was awarded the player from a claim they were obligated to the Rule 5 stipulations (must be on 25 man, etc.).

In short, Rule 5 is several times more complex than what OOTP does. But there is no shortage of roster management rules that OOTP only approximates to a certain degree. Mainly because of the complexity and the fact that the number of times the rule takes applies to a significant player in the real world are often a few times a decade.

For example (and these rules can change every CBA, so not certain if they are out of date - but they are real examples), under certain situations players could get an additional year of pro experience before being eligible for Rule 5 drafts (and I'm not talking about the age when the player was drafted which determines if they have 4 or 5 years). In the real world, players cannot be added and removed from the 40 man roster indefinitely. The second time they are removed the player can invoke a right to declare themselves a free agent.

There's just so many of these rules that maybe 1 in every 100,000 fans realize exists. I know Le Grande Orange has an even better knowledge of them than I do. He and I have hunted down copies of the "Blue Book" which holds all the almost-clerical, paperwork-jockey level minutia that dictates how the major and minor league transactions work. They go even deeper into the detail than the CBA (and cover periods of the games in the 40s, 50s, 60s etc. where the CBAs weren't posted publicly like they are today).

Last edited by BMW; 03-21-2019 at 12:22 PM.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Going from memory I thought you just had to waive them?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #11
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
OOTP doesnt replicate the Rule V exactly like in real life. AFAIK, it doesnt cost you anything to draft rule v'ers in this game, all you need is the open 40 man spot and when you do give them back it only should cost you about 500,000, not very much.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Never Fixed

Many OOTP players have requested a fix to the rule V draft for the past few versions to no avail. Both in the draft pool of eligible players itself and when wanting to release/return one drafted that season. (This is in on-line league play)
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
tward13
All Star Starter

The players are flagged with a ! in the roster, so they know who they are. Why not simply add an option to return player?

I shouldn't have to spend 500k or more to release them
Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
The players are flagged with a ! in the roster, so they know who they are. Why not simply add an option to return player?

I shouldn't have to spend 500k or more to release them
I think the window says that I do not believe you get hit with the 500k when you do it on a Rule 5 player
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
Fredrocker
Major Leagues

I presume the base salary in your league is 500 K if it is not then that means you must have offered the player a contract

Because I don't think there's any way you can draft a player who's on a 40 man roster with a major league contract in a rule 5 draft

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Fredrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strzepeksc View Post
Many OOTP players have requested a fix to the rule V draft for the past few versions to no avail. Both in the draft pool of eligible players itself and when wanting to release/return one drafted that season. (This is in on-line league play)
I'm fairly sure that in online leagues, there are issues with the process, depending on the order that the files are imported (because the game needs to process each team's transactions in full prior to moving on to the next import file).

So depending on whether the "releasing" team gets imported before/after the "receiving" team - one of those directions I think just doesn't work properly and a glitch causes the player to get released to the free agent pool.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post
I think the window says that I do not believe you get hit with the 500k when you do it on a Rule 5 player
i believe this to also be the case, i just assumed that since he mentioned paying the salary that he actually noticed his available funds decreased. the 500k has never mattered to me when i release a rule v player, so i never bothered to check my budget afterwards
Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #18
tward13
All Star Starter

Why does the window say that if it's not the case?

Can I get confirmation that it's just a meaningless message?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #19
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

it's just standard for what comes up when you press "release player", the game just doesnt create a specific dialogue for a specific situation in rule v picks. this isnt a confirmation, but i believe this is the case. maybe a dev can answer this once and for all?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

As it stands now, it does return the player to the former team, but you do have to pay the full price to release them.

Now, in real life, the team getting him back is allowed to refuse, but we don't currently have that capability. So... part of me doesn't feel it's fair to have the team he's returned to automatically be saddled with his contract, but not sure if it's fair either for the team that drafted him to always have to pay. Hmm, what should we do?
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote