Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 11-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Suggestion: Player cards 'retire' after a length of time.

Good work on this so far. I'm pleasantly surprised at how clean the game is overall, at the strategic options we have, and at how well the bidding works.

I hate MP games ordinarily. I even play Rocket League in strictly solo mode FFS. But I like this.

I see two potential problems happening in future, though:

1. Cards are going to get less valuable over time, because useful cards are never going to be sold back to the store for the default price. They'll never be 'erased'. In 6 months, any card rated below 70 will be absolutely useless even in the lowest levels since anyone will be able to pick such cards up in auction for 100-200 pp.

2. Since cards never 'churn', once a team is really good it is never going to get worse. The leagues will eventually stagnate.

My idea is that when a pack is first opened, a card starts a 365 day lifespan. At the end of the lifespan, the card will be 'retired' and taken out of play.

IMO this will solve the above problems before they happen and create a lot more strategy in buying and selling cards. It will make this game more dynamic overall.

And since players will now have 'careers', you could even institute career records for leagues and the like.

Thoughts?

Last edited by One Post Wonder; 11-04-2018 at 01:27 PM.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
My idea is that when a pack is first opened, a card starts a 365 day lifespan. At the end of the lifespan, the card will be 'retired' and taken out of play.
365 real life days?

You start from scratch with each new iteration of the game released. I am not sure they have mentioned how long or if they will keep Perfect Team going for older versions.

So essentially it is already a 365 day lifespan on cards

Last edited by Maddox; 11-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

No, I would not want my cards to retire...

Also, as Maddox said above, with each new version we will start from scratch anyway. Old PT versions will still exist for several more years (the exact # will need to be determined), but cards do not carry over from OOTP 19 to 20, for example.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
jkdhoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, I would not want my cards to retire...

Also, as Maddox said above, with each new version we will start from scratch anyway. Old PT versions will still exist for several more years (the exact # will need to be determined), but cards do not carry over from OOTP 19 to 20, for example.
Ooh, not good for me. Cards should definitely carry over, even if they are no longer "active" and usable in leagues. Of course, just my opinion. This gives incentive to collect them all before they are no longer available in packs. Each season you can release a new "Live" card set, new historic and specially card sets, etc.
jkdhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Oh! I had misinterpreted how cards work, then.

So with OOTP19, I would never play against people who own OOTP20? It will be a different game entirely?

I can see how that couldn't be avoided if you've got a different format. But it might take away some incentive to buy a new version of OOTP when it is first released. Say you got really lucky and landed one or two perfect level cards - I wouldn't want to give that up.

But we'd still have the same online account, right? So would there be any way that pp or the like could be brought forward to the new version? Not enough to unbalance things, but enough to say... "Hey, you had a good season last year and here's the financial windfall for it".
Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
jkdhoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Oh! I had misinterpreted how cards work, then.

So with OOTP19, I would never play against people who own OOTP20? It will be a different game entirely?

I can see how that couldn't be avoided if you've got a different format. But it might take away some incentive to buy a new version of OOTP when it is first released. Say you got really lucky and landed one or two perfect level cards - I wouldn't want to give that up.

But we'd still have the same online account, right? So would there be any way that pp or the like could be brought forward to the new version? Not enough to unbalance things, but enough to say... "Hey, you had a good season last year and here's the financial windfall for it".
I can totally understand deprecating old versions of the game once new versions are released, so I cannot compete in OOTP 20 PT from the OOTP 19 PT game. However, in my opinion cards should be tied to the account, not the game version. So when OOTP 19 upgrades to OOTP 20, my cards would go with me. They won't work in OOTP 20, but they should be listed as cards I own, and be available to be auctioned.

What this does is it creates a long term tie to the game, with long term players having legendary card sets by the time OOTP 30 comes out. Those original cards from OOTP 19? Those will be worth a mint for anyone trying to create a collection.

If this doesn't happen, I'll still play, but I will be much less apt to spend money.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdhoo View Post
I can totally understand deprecating old versions of the game once new versions are released, so I cannot compete in OOTP 20 PT from the OOTP 19 PT game. However, in my opinion cards should be tied to the account, not the game version. So when OOTP 19 upgrades to OOTP 20, my cards would go with me. They won't work in OOTP 20, but they should be listed as cards I own, and be available to be auctioned.

What this does is it creates a long term tie to the game, with long term players having legendary card sets by the time OOTP 30 comes out. Those original cards from OOTP 19? Those will be worth a mint for anyone trying to create a collection.

If this doesn't happen, I'll still play, but I will be much less apt to spend money.
While I don't know how feasible that would be for the dev team, I think that's an awesome idea.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
jkdhoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
While I don't know how feasible that would be for the dev team, I think that's an awesome idea.
Can you just see it, some guy in 2025...

"Hey guys! I'm paying 10,000 PP for a MLB 2020 Live Harrison Bader to finish my set - last one I need!"

"Paying 100,000 PP for a 2023 Hall of Fame Flashback Perfect 100 Mariano Rivera to finish my 2023 Yankees set!"

Last edited by jkdhoo; 11-04-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Exactly, totally different thing / database with different features. It's technically impossible to merge these.

Also, we want users to have the chance to start at the same level as everybody else when we launch a new version.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
jkdhoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Exactly, totally different thing / database with different features. It's technically impossible to merge these.

Also, we want users to have the chance to start at the same level as everybody else when we launch a new version.
Well, that will still be fun. Just makes it all a little more temporary, but your vision is what it is.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Back to the OP's topic, I'd love to see cards retire, it would help keep the game interesting, eventually it's going to be hard to improve our teams, having to constantly fill holes would be cool.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

I'd like to see a 'points cap' for your 25 man roster, this way you have decisions about playing those 5 or 6 90+ cards or better off with 10 70-79 cards. But agree there needs to be some degradation/retirement etc or so many players will end up with all gold/diamond rosters.

AFBL New Jersey Athletics
FOD Boston Shamrocks
GLBL Milwaukee Eagles
HRBL Toronto Stags
PBF Commish only
ABL (old SBC) Commish only

mikezone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Should I ever land a 96-rated Smokey Stoner Unsung Hero - the only left-hander to pitch TWO no-hitters while drugged to the gills - I goddamn wanna keep it forever. Regular OOTP breaks your heart regularly enough.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #14
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
But agree there needs to be some degradation/retirement etc or so many players will end up with all gold/diamond rosters.
I checked out the top team in my league yesterday. Guy had 13 cards that were 80+. 6 of those were 90+. We haven't even been playing a week yet. So it does give me some concern about the long term play.

Maybe gold/diamond is too common? It sure hasn't been common for me - I've got one 82 and that's the lot. But I am seeing plenty of those cards on sale.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #15
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

For what it was worth, when I checked in this morning (nine hours ago) the team leading my entry pool by like 3 1/2 had only 36 players and the standard seed distribution. One gold, three silver. It's not all about high numbers, you also have to know how to use them...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #16
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I checked out the top team in my league yesterday. Guy had 13 cards that were 80+. 6 of those were 90+. We haven't even been playing a week yet. So it does give me some concern about the long term play.

Maybe gold/diamond is too common? It sure hasn't been common for me - I've got one 82 and that's the lot. But I am seeing plenty of those cards on sale.

Some people will always be ahead of others. I still only have 1 gold. I am guessing that person got lucky with pack openings and constantly worked the market, buying low and selling high. Some people love doing that. I am not one of them.

The good news is that what we just finished was the entry pool. Everything was random. Eventually, through promotion and relegation, things will even themselves out and make the actual seasons more competitive for most of us.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #17
annejohnson
Bat Boy

A lot of people have money to buy packs and that is sad for people who don't. I was one of those who never had money to buy packs for any games I played and It was really annoying when I see someone that has full upgraded profile. Now I am the one of those who can pay a little bit and I do rocket league trading to boost my account. It is really much easier to play when you can afford cool items like that. Still there is something to that when you play without giving money for the items. Sad part is that those times are gone and now everything is paid.

Last edited by annejohnson; 09-27-2020 at 01:33 PM.
annejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote