Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 11-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
YankeePhan1234
Bat Boy

Some suggestions from a MLB the Show vet

I've played OOTP and MLB the Show for years and when I saw OOTP was adding a perfect team mode I was insanely stoked. I've seen MLB the Show go more and more down the drain the past few years and I wanted to give a few suggestions that I think would help the game from going down a similar path:

1. Immortal/100 overall players. These were added this year in MLB the show and they looked fun on paper but the problem was that because of their non-staggered release and their sheer dominance over the next closest cards, they were effectively BIS (best in slot) for the rest of the game because they never made any cards to rival them. If you're going to release 100 overall players, make sure their rarity matches their overall of the card. Because if everyone has 100 overalls from just busting open packs, then they're not really rare or 'immortals'.

2. Pay to win. Since it's in the nature of these games to have some sort of market where people can buy and sell their cards I understand this is a pretty difficult thing to balance. But it is very important to the health/longevity of the game to keep it in check. The prices listed in the QA and the card rarity listed on the packs is a very good step for you guys. The problem this year in MLB the Show for instance, is that to get most of the immortal cards you have to dump hundreds of hundreds of dollars into stubs to buy packs or you have to sit on a terribly clunky online marketplace 24/7 flipping cards instead of playing the game. Make sure that there's always a consistent form of either offline grinding or maybe weekly events that you can enter for points that can keep people always chipping away with a small amount of points that still is worthwhile.

3. Content updates. The main issue in the Show this year is that the game has gone so long in between roster updates to reflect MLB performance of players and programs to unlock more players, that the game effectively died before they could keep people interested with new stuff. I would recommend during the season having a weekly (or bi weekly) roster update to reflect player performance/trades/etc. As well as themed special packs for the allstar game/playoffs/awards/winter meetings/etc. Keeping cards changing (within reason) keeps the game fresh and keeps people interested.

4. Know your meta. Probably the biggest issue of the Show right now is that the developers release cards that they think are good on paper, but because of how the meta-game of the actual players are using the cards, the card is unusable. When you're creating a card always keep in mind how people would probably use it and then make sure the acquisition method of said card matches the usefulness of it in the current meta.

Some of these might not be applicable to the way the game is currently setup, but I feel like you have a great chance to capitalize on a playerbase that is frustrated with the way that the AAA market has shaped the rest of the genre of these kinds of games.
YankeePhan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Thanks for your thoughts!

Regarding #3, this system is already implemented, and we will have weekly or bi-weekly updates of our Live Cards. It's just a push of a button here
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
YankeePhan1234
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Thanks for your thoughts!

Regarding #3, this system is already implemented, and we will have weekly or bi-weekly updates of our Live Cards. It's just a push of a button here
Thanks for the quick response!
YankeePhan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Regarding #2, isn't the fact that your team is playing a full season every week mean that the game is grinding for you in the background? I don't want active grinds.It is why I quit MLB: The Show after only 50 hours this year when I realized two things.

1. The grind was much too steep for the average player.

2. The stub requirements were so high that, once again, average players stood very little chance of earning enough simply by playing. I have no problem with marketplaces in these games but SDS took it to the extreme. I felt like playing the market became the only viable method to get things done.

I like that tomorrow I will go to work and come back 9 hours later and, depending on how well my team performed, will have most likely gained some perfect points. There was a reason I abandoned Diamond Dynasty early this year.

Last edited by Maddox; 11-04-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
I like that tomorrow I will go to work and come back 9 hours later and, depending on how well my team performed, will have most likely gained some perfect points.
Agree, this part is great, keep the casual gamers involved and active, a large player base is crucial to a model/game like this.
mikezone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
sirotka33
Bat Boy

I put 1200 hours over a couple solo leagues, with the longest being about 35+ years in this year's version. I had been burnt out since August, and glad I can open up OOTP 3-4 times a day to just check and see how things are going, and make changes accordingly.

I'm on steam, so I can't see how perfect points are purchased, but I wouldn't mind dumping a few bucks here and there, but I hope the game will be fun even if you are NMS. either way, it's been fun so far. Glad to be back to OOTP.
sirotka33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirotka33 View Post
I'm on steam, so I can't see how perfect points are purchased, but I wouldn't mind dumping a few bucks here and there, but I hope the game will be fun even if you are NMS. either way, it's been fun so far. Glad to be back to OOTP.
There is a link in game under the Market menu. It is not active yet.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote