Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 11-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
Maddox
All Star Reserve

How is your team doing? I am the worst in the league

I have done everything I can think of to jump start my team but they just refuse to win. I am solidly in last place and in the midst of a 9 game losing streak.
  • I am tied for 21st in homeruns but am dead last in runs scored and batting average. Can you say one dimensional?
  • I am 2-13 in one run games so I have been close in many games but can't pull them out.
  • My only gold player Corey Seager is batting .211 in almost 200 appearances and he has not hit a single homerun yet

The downside to being so awful is that I am getting no achievements and therefore no points to improve. In 22 games in May so far I have gotten 40 PP. I had previously purchased 2 packs and grabbed a SP upgrade off the auction house but now I am stuck with only a few hundred PP which can't do much for me. I could see that being a downside eventually. The worse your team performs the harder it will be to upgrade it.

Last edited by Maddox; 11-04-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I opened the starter packs, let the game auto set-up then it said I had a 27 minute timer to wait.

Then I promptly closed the game because I don't know what I'm supposed to do while waiting and went back to my Cardinals sim.

I'll open it tomorrow but so far I'm not sure what to think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
I opened the starter packs, let the game auto set-up then it said I had a 27 minute timer to wait.

Then I promptly closed the game because I don't know what I'm supposed to do while waiting and went back to my Cardinals sim.

I'll open it tomorrow but so far I'm not sure what to think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That is really all it is. It is team building and setting up the lineups and strategies for your team to follow. For example, since my bullpen is better than my starters I set my worst starters to be pulled quicker. I set my speedy leadoff batter to steal more than the rest of the team, etc.

I have also jockeyed with the lineup quite a bit. My nine game losing streak came after I let the computer reset my lineups. I finally changed them back to how I had them before and that finally won me a game.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:42 AM   #4
MmmRocks
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
That is really all it is. It is team building and setting up the lineups and strategies for your team to follow. For example, since my bullpen is better than my starters I set my worst starters to be pulled quicker. I set my speedy leadoff batter to steal more than the rest of the team, etc.

I have also jockeyed with the lineup quite a bit. My nine game losing streak came after I let the computer reset my lineups. I finally changed them back to how I had them before and that finally won me a game.
It should be cheap and easy to improve your team on the Auction House considering the quality of players you start with and the 1,000 free PP's you have. I went from 8-16 in April to 15-10 in May.
MmmRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Definitely a positive feedback loop

I was also nearly the worst team in my league (at least as of last night). My only gold player, Jose Altuve (89!), was hitting about .210, my ace was Jeff Samardzija, and both my rotation ERA and bullpen ERA were above 6.00.

In the core game, as in real life, there would be hope for the future. I could trade for prospects, I would have a high draft pick, and some bad contracts would come off the books. That's the self-correcting negative feedback loop in MLB.

I'm super intrigued by Perfect Team, but it does not seem to offer any hope for teams with a bad first draw. There are no prospects, no drafts, no player development, and the auction house isn't exactly free agency. The only two strategies I see are to pay American dollars for better players (and there's nothing wrong with that) or nuke the team from space and start again from scratch. I guess I just wish the long-term enjoyment of Perfect Team were less dependent on the initial draw.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

You get 1000 PP to start. You can buy at least 10 bronze players on the auction house with that if you watch for cheap auctions that are close to completion time with no bids.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
jkdhoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I did ok with my initial team card pulls, so I'm above .500. I also got a no hitter which gave me another 1000PP. But I have barely earned any PP since. If my team was struggling to hit .500 I would feel pretty helpless to improve it, especially since earning PPs almost seems like a lottery.

Will I get lucky and have a player get a rare performance? Will I pull a perfect card to be able to sell for more packs? Or will I be stuck earning 25/30 PPs every 5 games until I save up enough to pull a basic pack?

Hard to really get a feel for the PP rate this early, but so far the game seems setup to basically have you check in once or twice a day to see if you earned enough for another pack and if not you just move on.
jkdhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
I'm super intrigued by Perfect Team, but it does not seem to offer any hope for teams with a bad first draw.
The first draw is pretty much the same for everybody. You will get a balanced selection of 36 players (so, no seven catchers and just two starting pitchers), and as far as I can tell one gold and three or four silver cards, about 12 bronze cards, and the rest will be pretty miserable. It is the same for everybody, just different names. Some might have better pitching, some might have better hitting. I started out with an abysmal bullpen, and still was not able to improve on that.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 11-04-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #9
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
I was also nearly the worst team in my league (at least as of last night). My only gold player, Jose Altuve (89!), was hitting about .210, my ace was Jeff Samardzija, and both my rotation ERA and bullpen ERA were above 6.00.

In the core game, as in real life, there would be hope for the future. I could trade for prospects, I would have a high draft pick, and some bad contracts would come off the books. That's the self-correcting negative feedback loop in MLB.

I'm super intrigued by Perfect Team, but it does not seem to offer any hope for teams with a bad first draw. There are no prospects, no drafts, no player development, and the auction house isn't exactly free agency. The only two strategies I see are to pay American dollars for better players (and there's nothing wrong with that) or nuke the team from space and start again from scratch. I guess I just wish the long-term enjoyment of Perfect Team were less dependent on the initial draw.
Find your niche way to play, a strategy you enjoy regardless of the meta. I'm playing small ball in the sabermetrics era, because small ball players are cheaper than power hitters due to the meta.

Make the hard calls to maximize value.

Sell Altuve if he doesn't fit your niche.

In fact, in general F2P early-stage players should probably sell their top players unless they are perfect fits for how you want to play the game. You can get more production long-term from several thousand PP carefully spread across several positions in the AH than from one good card.

Make sure the auctions are long enough that everyone gets a look at your best cards. Ensure there aren't already several identical or closely comparable cards on the market at the moment, and wait for yours to stand out.

Use the 'time ending (asc.)' sort in the AH often, you never know what might slip by at a good price.

I got a lot of my PP from selling most of my golds/silvers. They were good, but didn't play to my strategy. I got several thousand PP for auctioning them off, which I've spent carefully at the AH. My team is mostly bronze, with a few silver and standard, but I've got solid-to-elite defense, speed, and contact at every position, a reasonable bullpen (this is where I have the most silvers, because BP arms are relatively cheaper, especially the less popular ones), and a trash rotation. I don't mind losing a ton while waiting for my PP to accumulate enough to actually bid on some higher-end SPs, because I'm retraining most of my position players to eke more value out of them at a new spot, and they're committing all sorts of errors anyways. Once I get them all trained and finally win one or two mid-range SP auctions, I'll be right where I want to be...

It's like you're inheriting a team that needs a full teardown (think Marlins, but get better returns than Jeter has for his movable pieces). Sure, there are a few stars, but they might not make sense and might need to go. Sell everything that doesn't help you maximize value in your niche. Find the lowest-rated card you're comfortable starting at a position, and sell off everyone 'better' than them at their position. Think of the first few days/weeks/months as your rebuilding years.

I'm not suggesting you play exactly like that (although feel free to, there are plenty of affordable Billys Hamilton to go around), but you've got to get creative and figure out your niche if you want to enjoy this mode fully I think.

Also, wait until you get your first super-rare achievement. Some terrible pitcher threw an immaculate inning for me one random game, and boom - several thousand PP that goes a long way in the AH. Someone will hit a grand slam, or throw 9 consecutive strikes, or something like that soon enough!

Hope the PP accumulation picks up!

Last edited by el_gringo; 11-04-2018 at 12:34 PM.
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

I'm waiting to actual do the auction house until they fix it so that I can go to page 2 and beyond of results, so I've just been buying packs, not great results thus far.
Cactusguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusguy21 View Post
I'm waiting to actual do the auction house until they fix it so that I can go to page 2 and beyond of results, so I've just been buying packs, not great results thus far.
Ya, this is certainly the largest issue I've had so far. It would be less of an issue if the search could be refined more granularly (and even once it's fixed, I'd love to see as many options in the AS as on the 'find a player' and/or 'list all players' page filters in normal OOTP)...
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Woot, a 5 game winning streak and I have finally manged to climb out of the basement.

Still lots of work to do. Try to balance out my offense some by trying to add a few on base guys in front of my power hitters (I rank 5th in my entry league in HR).

I also need to continue to slowly upgrade the pitching staff to be a little more reliable.

Last edited by Maddox; 11-04-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
vyshka
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You get 1000 PP to start. You can buy at least 10 bronze players on the auction house with that if you watch for cheap auctions that are close to completion time with no bids.
Is this just for the beta, or will there be 1000 pp at the start when it is for real as well?

People are getting pretty good at timing bids right at the end of auctions. Still managed to grab a couple people. What really sucks is when a gold comes floating by and you don't have the pp to bid.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

I started out well, but I had like a +6 pyt in 20 games or something ridiculous like that. I assumed this was because of my superior management skills.

But I've dropped off now to about .500

IMO this might be the most the best time to play, where people haven't figured out optimal strategies yet and there are no superteams.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #15
Galeg
Major Leagues

Bad. Started off decent and then fell off a cliff. I got really lucky with the additional 3 (I think) 1k packs I bought, getting 2 diamond players (SP and RP), but it hasn't really helped turn the team around. I had Heyward in RF and he batted about .150 for the first 120 AB despite having much better batting ratings. Since replacing him with a lesser player I'm getting better results. Finally just bought my first players in the auction, a SS and 2B, to replace my weakest batters.

It's been fun, but since I have been playing a lot of GM Only mode I am rusty making lineups.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #16
vyshka
Major Leagues

Still puttering along at .500. My pitchers seem to be doing ok with runs against, starter era, and bullpen era all ranked in the top 6. My hitting is awful, so trying to fix that.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshka View Post
Is this just for the beta, or will there be 1000 pp at the start when it is for real as well?
Yes, everybody will get 1000 PP to start with when we officially launch.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #18
SF_49er
Minors (Single A)

My team (Frankfurt Mainhattans) is in 5th Place 43-27 (.614) and also my team is the best non american (USA) team.

My top players are:

- Roberto Clemente (1969 All Star) 88
- Wes Ferrell (1929 Rookie Sensation) 88
SF_49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #19
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

dont worry about the results to start with. try and build one focus of your team, whehter it be starting pitching, power hitters, contact, speed

and remember its about the long run. you wont be able to buy a team full of gold players 5 hours into the game. maybe allow your team to wallow in mediocrity, but saving up those PPs so you can come back strong next season

I have found I made a few panic buys early on, thinking I needed a slight upgrade at a certain position, when it really did me little good and cost me a few more PPs than it should have

so this beta has been a great learning experience for me. I will likely use a different auction strategy next month
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote