Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yearly Tasks

Hey, I'm a Huge baseball fan an I am currently in the year 2022 with my Toronto Blue Jays. I've lost in the ALDS twice, lost in the wild card game once, and lost a wildcard tie-breaker once so far, so I'm having marginal success. However, I feel like I am not playing the game efficiently enough. Throughout the season, I really feel like I'm only adjusting the roster when injuries occur or when I see something way off base that I need to change. I don't do a ton with the waiver wire and I feel like my roster management is sub-par at best.

I was wondering if anyone had a list of tasks that they complete throughout the year that could be a sort of guideline for me to follow to make sure I'm not missing anything. Things like when do you check the waiver wire? When do you re-shuffle your minor leagues? How do make those decisions? Any and all tips would be appreciated. Thank you!
lere2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

I reshuffle minors monthly, and tend to be conservative about bringing prospects up. I tend to look at my lineups monthly as well, unless there is an injury.

Waiver wire is a bit of a question. If you check the waiver wire every three or four days, you can really find some great bargains. But a lot of people feel like it's a bit of a cheesy way to take advantage of the AI, because the AI tends to waive some good talent. So some people might have "House rules" about waiver wire.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Always look for better coaches and doctors if any available they are invaluable
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Anybody else? I really feel like I'm missing out on ways to make my team progress better.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
Always look for better coaches and doctors if any available they are invaluable
Just curious r0nster, let's see you notice a good coach available. He's better than one of your coaches, but that guy is still under contract for three more years.

What do you do? Cut the guy under contract and sign the better guy? If so, have you seen any longer-term problems with signing coaches because you develop a bad reputation or anything?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I rotate the bad ones into the position I want to move the improved coaching. I don't worry about the bad coachs pay. I give them whatever what they want for they give me much more value than cost
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
I rotate the bad ones into the position I want to move the improved coaching. I don't worry about the bad coachs pay. I give them whatever what they want for they give me much more value than cost
I guess I was asking, do you CUT your bad coaches outright mid-contract? Or do you wait until their contracts end before filling their positions?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Assos
All Star Starter

I scan the Free Agent market for bargains after I scan my minors to see if someone is ready to be a regular in the league. I usually know by September if I have next year's starter but I like to have a back up that at least can be a solid player on the cheap. If I am one or two players away, I spring for a big boy and try to make the playoffs. I like to look at my team history too.
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Tashtego
Minors (Double A)

I didn't come up with these ideas, just something I copied(stole) from the board and thought it might come in handy for someone.

-----Beginning of pre-season (late January):
Review position ratings, to change player position/role when beneficial.
Review pitching role to see if any bullpen can start or starters need to move to bullpen.
Review long term contracts ("Salaries" page) to see payroll in future seasons.
Review league finances on "Front Office" page to see if we can take on or need to dump salary.
Start negotiating contract extensions with players I know I want to keep long term.
Trade players or sign free agents as desired.

-----Before spring training starts (February):
Review batters for secondary positions they want to learn. Play them at those positions during Spring Training.
Selectively promote players from the secondary (40-man) roster to the active major league roster (avoiding automatic promotion).
Waive & DFA players on the secondary (40-man) roster that I don't want to go to spring training.
If player is not on 40-man, consider remaining options before calling up for spring training, to avoid a player without minor league options being forced through waivers after Spring Training.
Set pitching chart for Spring Training.
Set Lineups for Spring Training.
Be sure extra players are available during spring training so that players aren't overworked and become injury prone.

-----After Spring training (early April):
Move players off of the expanded (40-man) spring training roster to prepare for the regular season Active (25-man) roster.
Set team strategy for the coming season.

-----Before First-Year Player Draft (mid-June):
Make draft list if necessary (online leagues)

-----After First-Year Player Draft (mid-June):
Negotiate signing bonuses with drafted players
Set player positions and pitching role if change is desired.

-----Before Trade Deadline (end of July):
Consider strengthening current team or gearing for future by making trades or trading away older players in return for youngsters to play in future seasons.

-----Before the roster expansion (mid August):
For teams contending for a play-off spot, be aware that the playoff roster is restricted to players who were on the active roster on the day before the roster expansion.
If considering promoting a minor league player to the active roster, keep in mind that players with no remaining minor league options may need to be waived to be demoted back to the minors!
Promote additional players to the expanded (40-man) active roster as desired.

-----Near End of Season (end of September):
Adjust pitching order (7 day lineup in online sim leagues) to reserve the best pitchers for the initial games of the playoffs.

-----After playoffs, before Salary Arbitration Hearings (November):
Handle player options (respond in lower left of in-game email sent to manager).
Adjust player arbitration offers (special screen from the team drop-down).
Move players from active roster down to minor leagues to avoid league minimum salary next year.
Make long term contract plans/considerations (extensions, trades, sign free agents ....) for the next several years.
Hire new personnel if necessary.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego View Post
I didn't come up with these ideas, just something I copied(stole) from the board and thought it might come in handy for someone.

-----Beginning of pre-season (late January):
Review position ratings, to change player position/role when beneficial.
Review pitching role to see if any bullpen can start or starters need to move to bullpen.
Review long term contracts ("Salaries" page) to see payroll in future seasons.
Review league finances on "Front Office" page to see if we can take on or need to dump salary.
Start negotiating contract extensions with players I know I want to keep long term.
Trade players or sign free agents as desired.

-----Before spring training starts (February):
Review batters for secondary positions they want to learn. Play them at those positions during Spring Training.
Selectively promote players from the secondary (40-man) roster to the active major league roster (avoiding automatic promotion).
Waive & DFA players on the secondary (40-man) roster that I don't want to go to spring training.
If player is not on 40-man, consider remaining options before calling up for spring training, to avoid a player without minor league options being forced through waivers after Spring Training.
Set pitching chart for Spring Training.
Set Lineups for Spring Training.
Be sure extra players are available during spring training so that players aren't overworked and become injury prone.

-----After Spring training (early April):
Move players off of the expanded (40-man) spring training roster to prepare for the regular season Active (25-man) roster.
Set team strategy for the coming season.

-----Before First-Year Player Draft (mid-June):
Make draft list if necessary (online leagues)

-----After First-Year Player Draft (mid-June):
Negotiate signing bonuses with drafted players
Set player positions and pitching role if change is desired.

-----Before Trade Deadline (end of July):
Consider strengthening current team or gearing for future by making trades or trading away older players in return for youngsters to play in future seasons.

-----Before the roster expansion (mid August):
For teams contending for a play-off spot, be aware that the playoff roster is restricted to players who were on the active roster on the day before the roster expansion.
If considering promoting a minor league player to the active roster, keep in mind that players with no remaining minor league options may need to be waived to be demoted back to the minors!
Promote additional players to the expanded (40-man) active roster as desired.

-----Near End of Season (end of September):
Adjust pitching order (7 day lineup in online sim leagues) to reserve the best pitchers for the initial games of the playoffs.

-----After playoffs, before Salary Arbitration Hearings (November):
Handle player options (respond in lower left of in-game email sent to manager).
Adjust player arbitration offers (special screen from the team drop-down).
Move players from active roster down to minor leagues to avoid league minimum salary next year.
Make long term contract plans/considerations (extensions, trades, sign free agents ....) for the next several years.
Hire new personnel if necessary.
That was perfect! Thank you so much.

Quick question though regarding your trade deadline thing. When looking to trade away an older, higher salary player that could be useful to a playoff team, how do you do it? Do you shop player around or do you individually offer him to teams? Curious how you get those deals done.

Also curious how you do the opposite. (Trade for vets). Do you shop your prospects around or do you just scan the stats for a guy you like?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #11
battists
Hall Of Famer

I think the general thought is that you can't wait around waiting for the AI to offer you a sweet deal. So I would target players and then see what you can get the computer to trade you for them. Sometimes shopping players is good just to give you a sense of which team might be interested.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #12
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm still waiting for this AI team sending me offers thing. I'm in 2024 and still have not received one trade offer from the CPU
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
TreeRol
Bat Boy

At the beginning of each month, I go through my minor leagues and cut anybody that is 25 or older (unless they are potential contributors). Then I look at Free Agent prospects (under 24) and sign any that are good enough to be in my organization. After they sign, if necessary, I will then cut the worst prospects in my system to bring my minor league roster sizes in line.

Twice per season (usually around the draft and at the end of the year), if I have extra cash, I will go through the independent leagues and purchase any prospect that would be in my top 30 at a position.
TreeRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Just curious r0nster, let's see you notice a good coach available. He's better than one of your coaches, but that guy is still under contract for three more years.

What do you do? Cut the guy under contract and sign the better guy? If so, have you seen any longer-term problems with signing coaches because you develop a bad reputation or anything?
I try to develop a coaching pipeline, just like a player pipeline. I sign young coaches with at least decent reputations and let them progress. If there's a great coach hanging out there who will accept a minor league job I don't worry about firing some (usually) cheap filler coach down in my organization to make room.

I've found it difficult to sign coaches to fill offseason vacancies in the major league club, because it seems like the AI teams will immediately begin filling coaching vacancies for minor league teams whose seasons ended weeks earlier, and a lot of the good candidates will be gone.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 08-12-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001 View Post
That was perfect! Thank you so much.

Quick question though regarding your trade deadline thing. When looking to trade away an older, higher salary player that could be useful to a playoff team, how do you do it? Do you shop player around or do you individually offer him to teams? Curious how you get those deals done.

Also curious how you do the opposite. (Trade for vets). Do you shop your prospects around or do you just scan the stats for a guy you like?
That list by Tashtego is very good, but keep in mind that you don't have to consider options when bringing guys to spring training. The spring training roster is set at 60 by default and can include players not on the 40-man roster. So you can bring a guy to spring training who's not on the 40-man without burning an option if he doesn't make the club.

And also, the 40-man roster is the active major league roster in spring training.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote